Continental DWS Tires on a 2013 911 4S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 01:12 PM
af330i has a spectacular aura aboutaf330i has a spectacular aura aboutaf330i has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by cai
I want to thank all of you who took the time and effort to answer my questions and offer me some guidance on this winter tire issue.

I ordered on Thursday a set of Porsche approved Continental winter tires with 19" rims from TireRack. The tires arrived yesterday and were quickly mounted on the car.

Two last question; when I had the summer tires on the car, I noticed that the ABS assist was coming on under circumstances that, in my opinion, were not warranted. That is: not going very fast, dry pavement, and not making a very dramatic stop. From my experience other cars would not have had the ABS come on under these conditions.

1- Is this part of the summer vs winter tire performance difference?

2- Am I correct in assuming that the tires were not gripping very well and that that is what made the ABS interfere?

Again, thank you for your great assistance.

cai
Is it doing the same thing with the winter tires ? I don't recall my abs kicking in almost 4 years I've had my car unless I had a panic stop.

Old 01-30-2016, 01:14 PM
af330i has a spectacular aura aboutaf330i has a spectacular aura aboutaf330i has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by BradB
I can't lift wheels over my head! I did this.

This looks perfect for my spare set of wheels/tires do you know the brand name or can you point me in he direction where I can get one. Thank you

Old 01-30-2016, 05:00 PM
BradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to all
Originally Posted by af330i
This looks perfect for my spare set of wheels/tires do you know the brand name or can you point me in he direction where I can get one. Thank you
I made it. It's VERY easy. The pre-cut plywood, 1" bolts and heavy duty castors all come from Home Depot.

Old 01-30-2016, 05:45 PM
dassArse is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by BradB
I made it. It's VERY easy. The pre-cut plywood, 1" bolts and heavy duty castors all come from Home Depot.
Was the plywood precut circle?

Old 01-30-2016, 05:58 PM
BradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to all
Originally Posted by dassArse
Was the plywood precut circle?
Yes.

Old 02-01-2016, 08:30 AM
See U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really nice
Originally Posted by cai
I want to thank all of you who took the time and effort to answer my questions and offer me some guidance on this winter tire issue.

I ordered on Thursday a set of Porsche approved Continental winter tires with 19" rims from TireRack. The tires arrived yesterday and were quickly mounted on the car.

Two last question; when I had the summer tires on the car, I noticed that the ABS assist was coming on under circumstances that, in my opinion, were not warranted. That is: not going very fast, dry pavement, and not making a very dramatic stop. From my experience other cars would not have had the ABS come on under these conditions.

1- Is this part of the summer vs winter tire performance difference?

2- Am I correct in assuming that the tires were not gripping very well and that that is what made the ABS interfere?

Again, thank you for your great assistance.

cai
Did you do this:

Originally Posted by eldertec
And this summer I bought a set of 19's for summer and put them on my winter wheels.
And just selected 19 winter tires on the display.
No problems thru 10k miles...
You may have but I didn't see it listed.

Old 02-01-2016, 08:58 AM
cai
cai is on a distinguished road
To See U n Rear View:

I bought new 19" rims and tires. So I did not do what Eldertec did. I still have the 20" rims with summer tires on them.

cai

Old 02-01-2016, 09:46 AM
See U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really nice
Originally Posted by cai
I was just wondering if you selected the 19" wheel option in your 911's Display while you had the 19" wheels on the car.

Sorry for not being clearer the first time...

Old 02-01-2016, 10:16 AM
eldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by See U n Rear View
I was just wondering if you selected the 19" wheel option in your 911's Display while you had the 19" wheels on the car.

Sorry for not being clearer the first time...
Yes, 19" winter
Took driving awhile to register

Old 02-01-2016, 02:31 PM
cai
cai is on a distinguished road
See U n Rear View:

Yes I selected that choice, 19" winter, and since I also bought the TPMSs for the tires it took less than 3 miles for the pressure reading to come on. I thought it was very good. Some of my other vehicles have needed about 15 miles.

cai

Old 02-01-2016, 05:24 PM
CSK 991 C4S is on a distinguished road
Was cleaning the garage yesterday and said screw moving these wheels until I made a roller disk.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 02-07-2016, 10:02 AM
dassArse is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CSK 991 C4S
Was cleaning the garage yesterday and said screw moving these wheels until I made a roller disk.

Been meaning to share my ghetto contraption:

http://rennlist.com/forums/general-p...rs-beware.html

Old 02-07-2016, 11:07 AM
Originally Posted by CSK 991 C4S

To seperate the wheels I cut discs from cardboard. One source for big pieces of cardboard are the boxes bicycles come shipped in. Go to your local bike shop and they are happy to give you what you need.

Old 02-08-2016, 09:15 PM
Originally Posted by dassArse
Been meaning to share my ghetto contraption:

http://rennlist.com/forums/general-p...rs-beware.html

That's pretty cool ... Nice job.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:45 PM
911BOY is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cai
I think that all of you agree on not using the Continental DWSs because of the size difference. I also agree that it would be optimum to have two sets of tires, winter and summer. However, I do not have the space to keep the extra tires and I have to try to explore other solutions. I am not so sure that I would be missing a lot of the car's fun potential by using performance winter tires all year round. What I can say is that these Pirelli Zero summer tires are really, really bad when the temperature dips below 40 degrees F.
Upon looking at the Tire Rack test comparisons of the Michelin Pilot Super Sport and the Pirelli Zero tires, I can see that the Michelin, at least on paper, is a superior tire for encountering the odd rain and water on the road. My short experience with the Pirellis has not been very good. They seem to hydroplane a lot.
Again, I would like to hear from anyone that has experience using winter tires year round.

Thank you.

I'd be really surprised if you get anyone to answer as I couldnt imagine anyone doing that..........
Dealers and tire stores will store your tires in the off season. Having dedicated winters and summers doesnt really cost you any more as they both last twice as long ....it like you are buying your second set now instead of in 2 years.... I imagine Winters in the summer will last 1/2 as long as they would normally.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Continental DWS Tires on a 2013 911 4S