Porsche 911 R

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 12:10 AM
CSK 991 C4S is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JackOlsen
As they explained it to me, the whole idea of this car was that it's a street car. They wanted it to be easier to throw around. So while there is a diffuser underneath the engine, it has less overall aero downforce, and skinnier tires (and more-lively all-wheel steering) than the GT3 RS. The idea is not that it's the fastest possible version of the 911 -- especially on a track (that's the GT3 RS) -- but the 911R supposed to be the most involving and the most fun to drive.
Looking at the spec on porsche.com tires are 245 F/ 305 R same tire on many 911's and with a top speed of 200 mph this "street car" makes most of our 911's look like Yugo's

BTW I want this grilled engine cover.

Last edited by CSK 991 C4S; 03-15-2016 at 12:13 AM.
Old 03-27-2016, 07:50 PM
JackOlsen has a reputation beyond reputeJackOlsen has a reputation beyond reputeJackOlsen has a reputation beyond reputeJackOlsen has a reputation beyond reputeJackOlsen has a reputation beyond reputeJackOlsen has a reputation beyond reputeJackOlsen has a reputation beyond reputeJackOlsen has a reputation beyond reputeJackOlsen has a reputation beyond reputeJackOlsen has a reputation beyond reputeJackOlsen has a reputation beyond repute
Two more of the 'lessons.' One on heel-and-toe downshifting. One on the line through a corner.

And here's a clip I'm not in -- Weissach back in the old days:

Old 04-13-2016, 08:16 AM
tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !
Looks like they will be going for a premium, 1.25M though?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-...m=281996935239

Old 04-14-2016, 08:19 AM
guab is a glorious beacon of lightguab is a glorious beacon of lightguab is a glorious beacon of lightguab is a glorious beacon of lightguab is a glorious beacon of lightguab is a glorious beacon of light
Lol wow. Yeah. No.

Old 04-14-2016, 09:46 AM
tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by guab
Lol wow. Yeah. No.
yeah seems to have pulled the ad. I'll take a 918 for that price thanks.

http://www.carscoops.com/2016/04/is-...1r-priced.html

Old 04-14-2016, 12:50 PM
JackOlsen has a reputation beyond reputeJackOlsen has a reputation beyond reputeJackOlsen has a reputation beyond reputeJackOlsen has a reputation beyond reputeJackOlsen has a reputation beyond reputeJackOlsen has a reputation beyond reputeJackOlsen has a reputation beyond reputeJackOlsen has a reputation beyond reputeJackOlsen has a reputation beyond reputeJackOlsen has a reputation beyond reputeJackOlsen has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I'm pretty sure that the official final clip comes out tomorrow.

Until then, I got sent some cell phone footage which I edited together into an unofficial preview of the finish of this thing:

Old 04-16-2016, 10:40 AM
96redLT4 will become famous soon enough96redLT4 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by JackOlsen

Well, I'm pretty sure that the official final clip comes out tomorrow.

Until then, I got sent some cell phone footage which I edited together into an unofficial preview of the finish of this thing:

Porsche Driving Challenge Col d'Aspin Preview - YouTube
What is your verdict on the car Jack? I doubt many of us would pay 500K for this but would you part with $200K of your hard earned after tax dollars for this car?
J

Old 04-16-2016, 02:50 PM
Im4citadel is on a distinguished road
I know I am going to get some serious backlash for this post but it's just my two cents.

I recently test drove the GT3 and it was an incredible experience. It was and is the "perfect" ride to me. I couldn't believe how different it was to my C4s and walked back to my car thinking, "Look at this piece of ****!"

First thought to role through my brain was, "How could the GT3rs be that much better?" "How could Porsche justify the price hike?"

Looking at the 911R and can't imagine that it could possibly be better than the GT3. For a purist I understand that the manual transmission is a huge selling point for the car (why many were interested in the GT4).

I understand that it is about exclusivity and that those who are lucky enough to get them stateside will see a massive gain in value for the car.

For me the car's creation is counter to Pcar culture (hang on and let me explain my opinion).

I've been to PCA gatherings and to cars and coffee and each time I am proud to be a part of the Pcar group. The conversations are littered with those who discuss track days and rallys. Working on their own cars and sharing advise to make not only their cars better but more over making their "driving experiences" better. If you ask a group of PCA members what you should upgrade first on a 911 they unanimously say the brakes or suspension. "Road feel" and "response" from the car trumps that of horsepower gains (obvious **** for those who track but never the less love to know that this is our community) Pcar owners don't give half a rats *** if the valet at a restaurant keeps their 911 parked out front (in fact most drivers love to park on their own so some college kid doesn't ruin the car). Ultimately, what I am trying to get to is we don't own garage queens. The more mileage on your 911...the sexier it is.

The majority of these cars will be bought by the super wealthy and sitting in their garage next to their 458 Speciale.

Maybe I'm off. Maybe I'm just being a "hater" but I just don't get it.

It will inevitably be more expensive than the GT3. I'm saying simply, "I don't understand why".

Frankly i feel if I by a GT3 and remove the wing they're exactly the same ride.

Old 04-19-2016, 11:06 AM
I think your points are fair, Im4citadel. The differences between the GT3, GT3 RS and 911R are not very dramatic -- at least, not as big as the price and availability differences are. This car is a lot like a GT3 with no rear wing. But it has a more-aggressively-tuned suspension, a manual transmission, less weight, and more power. The gaps in those departments aren't enormous, but they're there.

And finally, for me... here's the end of the road. Thanks to anyone still reading for putting up with so many of my posts in this thread. But this is the 'finale' clip where Elvan and I drove the hillclimb stage won by a 911R in 1969. The road was great. The car looks great. My on-screen acting, well... 'it is what it is,' as they say.

And so it's in the same post, here's the cell-phone shot clip, which has less polish than the final one, but captures a different aspect of the day's driving.

As always, I'm very grateful to Porsche AG and Patrick Long for choosing me for this. What a blast.

Old 04-25-2016, 10:08 AM
NBoost has much to be proud ofNBoost has much to be proud ofNBoost has much to be proud ofNBoost has much to be proud ofNBoost has much to be proud ofNBoost has much to be proud ofNBoost has much to be proud ofNBoost has much to be proud ofNBoost has much to be proud of
Nice write up and videos Jack. I have two questions, one, have you driven a Singer 4.0? Two, a genie appears and offers you a choice, 991 911R or Singer 4.0, which would you pick and why? I have not, and likely will never experience either but thinking about such things beats being productive on a Monday morning, cheers.

Old 04-25-2016, 05:18 PM
I haven't driven a Singer, yet. And it's hard to say. I suspect the 911R is probably a better overall engineering package -- everything tuned together to a pretty high standard. But I can't deny that I'm a sucker for the early 911's look and lighter weight. The Singer is maybe a little heavy by early car standards, but that's still lighter than the 911R, which is light by later car standards but still 3,000 pounds.

Hard to say. But I'd probably lean toward the Singer.