Sport exhaust or aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 10:32 AM
KA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond repute
Sport exhaust or aftermarket?

Ok!

I'm about to go pick up a 2016 991 C4S. It has everything I want (7MT) sport chrono but no sport exhaust.
I asked how much would be to add it as an option and it would run me $3750.00 installed at the selling dealer. I wanted the factory button and all...
Advice here please!!

Old 02-05-2016, 11:22 AM
dds007 has a reputation beyond reputedds007 has a reputation beyond reputedds007 has a reputation beyond reputedds007 has a reputation beyond reputedds007 has a reputation beyond reputedds007 has a reputation beyond reputedds007 has a reputation beyond reputedds007 has a reputation beyond reputedds007 has a reputation beyond reputedds007 has a reputation beyond reputedds007 has a reputation beyond repute
Ask to listen to another model with sport exhaust to see if you like it?

Old 02-05-2016, 11:24 AM
KA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond reputeKA 997TT has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by dds007
Ask to listen to another model with sport exhaust to see if you like it?
I do like it. I test drove a GTS and it had the sport exhaust. I'm just trying to figure out if the aftermarket route was any different.

Old 02-05-2016, 11:29 AM
Christophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to behold
All depends on the (1) volume you're looking for and (2) the functionality you'd like to have.

Re (1): PSE sounds great and will give you a decent volume boost, but it is not a "loud" system. It's great for daily driving as the valves allow you to cut down on interior noise and quiet the car down for morning commutes. But if you're interested in a louder system, look into replacing the center muffler with an x-pipe from Sharkwerks/Fabspeed/Cargraphic/AWE/etc.

Re (2): PSE, as you know, gives you the valve button on the center console area. If you go with another aftermarket exhaust, you can also install the factory valve button and use it with the exhaust. Or, some companies like Cargraphic have their own flap controller that you can purchase and use.

My recommendation? It's all about the sound you're looking for. If you've heard a 911S with PSE in person and love the sound/features, then don't think twice about it and have your dealer (or another shop) install it.

Old 02-05-2016, 11:51 AM
dds007 has a reputation beyond reputedds007 has a reputation beyond reputedds007 has a reputation beyond reputedds007 has a reputation beyond reputedds007 has a reputation beyond reputedds007 has a reputation beyond reputedds007 has a reputation beyond reputedds007 has a reputation beyond reputedds007 has a reputation beyond reputedds007 has a reputation beyond reputedds007 has a reputation beyond repute
I believe the GTS sounds different from the other cars in the 911 lineup.

Old 02-05-2016, 11:53 AM
Christophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by dds007
I believe the GTS sounds different from the other cars in the 911 lineup.

It does have a slightly different engine note due to the Powerkit, but the GTS and the 991S sound similar.

KA, keep in mind that much of the sounds you hear inside the cabin with a PSE-equipped car are via the Sound Symposer.

Old 02-05-2016, 11:56 AM
Former Vendor
HRE_Jurrian has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Jurrian has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Jurrian has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Jurrian has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Jurrian has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Jurrian has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Jurrian has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Jurrian has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Jurrian has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Jurrian has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Jurrian has a reputation beyond repute
The PSE Sounds good, but considering there is a significant upgrade around the corner that you could jump on which saves you weight, gets you more power, and sounds insanely good, I would opt for an Akrapovič system. I have a lot of guys who jumped on the PSE at first thinking they would keep it forever to eventually find this particular video and end up switching over:

Akrapovič system for Porsche 991 Carrera (S/4/4S & GTS)

Seeing the numbers might entice you, but for me it's the sound. There's nothing better than hearing that system growl in person.

Old 02-05-2016, 01:08 PM
eldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to behold
I had the Fabspeed Maxflo mufflers and X-pipe on my 2011 4S. Sounded very good but no button. Spent like $5k.
I now have a 2013 4S with PSE.
Love the sound much better and has the button.
PSE all the way, hands down!

Old 02-05-2016, 05:20 PM
Originally Posted by Christophosphorus
It does have a slightly different engine note due to the Powerkit, but the GTS and the 991S sound similar.

KA, keep in mind that much of the sounds you hear inside the cabin with a PSE-equipped car are via the Sound Symposer.
I am not new to Porsche, but not familiar with sound Symposer!

Old 02-05-2016, 05:23 PM
This brings up a whole new question to mind:

is the GTS a better car?
I have an opportunity to buy a 2016 GTS with every option in it.
It is a PDK however and it has black center lock wheels...
It is a wide body which is what I like about it. Both the C4S and the GTS are Rhodium Silver, both new, both black interior. but the GTS will run me 6K more which is not a big deal considering the sport exhaust and the sport steering wheel options added plus the X51 package...
Just can't get over the black wheels.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0514.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	689.8 KB
ID:	439528   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0516.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	741.2 KB
ID:	439529   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0517.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	513.6 KB
ID:	439530  
Old 02-05-2016, 05:37 PM
Originally Posted by KA 997TT
I am not new to Porsche, but not familiar with sound Symposer!
A small tube and valve that ports in engine induction noise into the cabin. The valve remains closed until Sport mode is activated, at which point the valve opens and lets in engine noise.

Old 02-05-2016, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by Christophosphorus
A small tube and valve that ports in engine induction noise into the cabin. The valve remains closed until Sport mode is activated, at which point the valve opens and lets in engine noise.
Got it! pretty simply put. Thank you

Old 02-05-2016, 07:14 PM
Db750 is on a distinguished road
This brings up a whole new question to mind:

is the GTS a better car?
I have an opportunity to buy a 2016 GTS with every option in it.
It is a PDK however and it has black center lock wheels...
It is a wide body which is what I like about it. Both the C4S and the GTS are Rhodium Silver, both new, both black interior. but the GTS will run me 6K more which is not a big deal considering the sport exhaust and the sport steering wheel options added plus the X51 package...
Just can't get over the black wheels.
For $6k difference I would definitely go with the GTS especially if you are considering spending $4k on the sport exhaust alone! In addition to the upgrades you mentioned above the GTS also has the more sporty side mirrors and front bumper, and is also more exclusive and will hold its value a bit better from what I have seen. I don't know what options the S model you are looking at has, but the GTS may delete the A/C seats which are nice, but for me I always go for performance before luxury so that would not bother me.

With regards to the Sport Exhaust it was one of my absolute must have options. Although this is my first Porsche, on my previous cars (mostly BMW) I have had everything from stock, m performance, to straight pipe exhaust, and typically I like the exhaust pretty loud. For me the Sport Exhaust is the perfect mix. It can be quiet when you are taking a call or with the wife, or loud and beastly when you are ripping through the gears. I feel, and many of my friends agree, that it is one of the best sounding OEM exhaust out there. I have bought cars that I have had to mod a lot to enjoy, and others are nearly perfect from the factory. Porsche IMO allows you to spec the 911 to perfection, and the sport exhaust is one of the most important parts for me.

In summary; go for the GTS and get the sport exhaust!

Last edited by Db750; 02-05-2016 at 07:18 PM.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by Db750
For $6k difference I would definitely go with the GTS especially if you are considering spending $4k on the sport exhaust alone! In addition to the upgrades you mentioned above the GTS also has the more sporty side mirrors and front bumper, and is also more exclusive and will hold its value a bit better from what I have seen. I don't know what options the S model you are looking at has, but the GTS may delete the A/C seats which are nice, but for me I always go for performance before luxury so that would not bother me. With regards to the Sport Exhaust it was one of my absolute must have options. Although this is my first Porsche, on my previous cars (mostly BMW) I have had everything from stock, m performance, to straight pipe exhaust, and typically I like the exhaust pretty loud. For me the Sport Exhaust is the perfect mix. It can be quiet when you are taking a call or with the wife, or loud and beastly when you are ripping through the gears. I feel, and many of my friends agree, that it is one of the best sounding OEM exhaust out there. I have bought cars that I have had to mod a lot to enjoy, and others are nearly perfect from the factory. Porsche IMO allows you to spec the 911 to perfection, and the sport exhaust is one of the most important parts for me. In summary; go for the GTS and get the sport exhaust!
I would but struggling with the idea of PDK.
I found a similar GTS in Alabama with 7MT all other features alike and sent an email to the dealer.
The C4S has sport mirrors and a lot of great features but no sport exhaust, though sport chrono.
Performance package is a great deal. I just have to figure out if I can live with those wheels... Seems to be the package with most GTS's I found out there.

Old 02-05-2016, 08:31 PM
Db750 is on a distinguished road
I would but struggling with the idea of PDK.
I found a similar GTS in Alabama with 7MT all other features alike and sent an email to the dealer.
The C4S has sport mirrors and a lot of great features but no sport exhaust, though sport chrono.
Performance package is a great deal. I just have to figure out if I can live with those wheels... Seems to be the package with most GTS's I found out there.
Have you driven the PDK in the 991? I'm assuming you have, but if you have not I would highly recommend giving it a try. I have friends that are die hard manual guys that constantly give me a hard time about my paddle shift cars, but even they admit that they would consider PDK in the 991. The PDK has a different and more sporty feel that the other dual clutch transmissions I have driven, and it really adds to the unique experience for me.

I personally really like the wheels on the GTS, but I understand that is personal preference. Wheels are pretty much the easiest mod to make though, so you could either have them powder coated if you don't like the color (hyper silver would look amazing), or you could purchase a new set and then when it comes time to sell put the GTS wheels back on with new rubber and no curb rash.

I am big on holding out for the perfect car and having no regrets. If the PDK GTS isn't it for you then hold out for a 7MT car. Porsche lets you customize the cars almost any way you want, and when spending new 911 money there is no reason to compromise even a little!

Last edited by Db750; 02-05-2016 at 09:01 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sport exhaust or aftermarket?