Installing backup camera on 991 Cabriolet

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 01:25 PM
sansan is on a distinguished road
Installing backup camera on 991 Cabriolet

Hi guys,

Went through the DIY for back up camera install. Only problem is that all the tutorials are for coupes. For all the cabriolet owners, how did you route the camera cable to the taillight area? I've got the cable to the convertible top area, but don't see an easy way to get to the exterior of the car.

Thanks in advance or any help!

Old 05-16-2016, 06:47 PM
Found a path! Camera is wired up. Will post pics later...

Now time to wire up the Nav TV side of it!

Old 05-16-2016, 08:29 PM
dassArse is on a distinguished road
Post the play by play!

Old 05-16-2016, 08:33 PM
stealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud of
Does this integrate with your PCM? Please post the coupe DIY links as well.

Old 05-17-2016, 01:18 PM
teambell is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by sansan
Found a path! Camera is wired up. Will post pics later...

Now time to wire up the Nav TV side of it!
Would love to hear how and see pics!

Old 05-17-2016, 01:35 PM
Yes, it fully integrates into the PCM. Quite an easy install honestly. Hardest part for me was finding a way from the interior to the exterior of the car. Everything else was already covered in Plenum's DIY instructions. See below. His instructions are quite awesome.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post4202821

Ok, the play by play as requested by dassArse:

So follow Plenum's DIY until the part about routing the camera wire to the back of the car.

For the cabriolet, I went underneath the glovebox and down to the area of our door sills. Run it underneath the door sill and under the carpet trim.

Now run the wire between the weatherstripping and the plastic piece that holds the seat belt and all the way back to the convertible top.

I'm showing the top of the door sill area. Basically I ran the wire up the door sill weatherstripping and continued with the weatherstripping to the convertible area.

At this point I ran the wire along the inside of the top area and underneath the rear carpet area so that it hopefully won't ever get in the way of the convertible top operation. When you lift up the carpet in the back there is a rubber drain that leads to the exterior of the car in the rear tire well. I used a wire coat hanger to get the camera wire through the hole. In my picture the thing that looks like a white grain of rice to the left of the silver piston is the hole.

After you get the camera wire end through the hole, you have to remove the wire hanger and reattached the coat hanger from the wheel well area. From here, fish the wire to the open rear tail light opening. I do have a slight concern that the heat shield might get really hot but at this point I don't know of any other solutions and am open to any suggestions about protecting the wire.

At this point you can again follow the instructions of Plenum's DIY.

Again, probably the most confusing part of the install was "pulsing" the Nav-TV to get the PCM into service mode. I honestly didn't even know I did it right as it took me 3-4 times. On the last try, I was reading over the instructions again seeing what I did wrong when I noticed that the PCM said "service" on the screen. I was so happy to be done and that somehow what I did worked.

Final shot of the back up camera working as intended!

Old 05-17-2016, 02:23 PM
Not sure if my photos explained enough as the wire was already buried in the trim. I can try to do some better photos tomorrow, but was in a rush to get to work this morning!

Old 09-12-2016, 02:19 AM
Fromby is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks to Plenum & Sansan just completed rear camera install.
Found an alternative final route to rear light for cabriolet.
No need to run wire through drain hole rubber into the rear wheel area.
On my car at the base of the silver piston is a plastic plug in colour of my car (blue) I carefully pierced through with a screwdriver.
Using a cable tie I was able to route through to the rear light.

Attached Images  
Old 09-12-2016, 03:19 AM
Fromby is an unknown quantity at this point
Exit to rear light. I protected wire with a spiral cable conduit and cable tied to keep away from base of silver piston in cabriolet hood tray.

Attached Images  
Old 09-12-2016, 07:05 AM
BradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to all
Amazing work, guys! Can you share what the cost of this project is? And how many hours? A friend has a cab and is considering doing the same. Thanks!

Old 09-12-2016, 07:41 AM
Originally Posted by BradB
Amazing work, guys! Can you share what the cost of this project is? And how many hours? A friend has a cab and is considering doing the same. Thanks!
The two things you need costs about $900 from Nav-tv. If you mention 6 speed I think you get a 10% discount.

I'm selling my cabriolet so could uninstall this if your friend is interested.

Let me know!

Old 09-12-2016, 08:38 AM
BradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to all
Thanks for the info. I'll pass it along!

Old 05-05-2017, 10:50 PM
rubenhak is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Fromby
Thanks to Plenum & Sansan just completed rear camera install.
Found an alternative final route to rear light for cabriolet.
No need to run wire through drain hole rubber into the rear wheel area.
On my car at the base of the silver piston is a plastic plug in colour of my car (blue) I carefully pierced through with a screwdriver.
Using a cable tie I was able to route through to the rear light.
Hey, I'm trying to do basically do the same thing, but for a two channel dash cam install. Could you explain the location of the picture you took? Where exactly is the silver piston? Does that "blue" hole lead to the second hole behind the tail light?

Old 10-28-2017, 06:06 AM
See U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really nice
Originally Posted by sansan
The two things you need costs about $900 from Nav-tv. If you mention 6 speed I think you get a 10% discount.

I'm selling my cabriolet so could uninstall this if your friend is interested.

Let me know!

good to know thanks!