Engine Cover Strut Failure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 06:30 PM
dogshyne is on a distinguished road
2013 4s w/ 22k.... mine are dead on the back hatch! will add that to the list at the next repair.

Front ones are fine... I use the frunk all the time.

Old 06-21-2016, 11:30 AM
tron786 is on a distinguished road
MY 2013. 10200 kms. Struts replaced

Old 06-21-2016, 06:28 PM
zx5go is on a distinguished road
Front and rear struts on order under warranty...too bad the dealer damaged all 4 of my wheels on the same visit as the mounted my new tires. $50/tire to mount and balance and they still are unable to do it without damaging them?! Literally told me they use a putty knife and hammer to remove the old weights.

Old 06-21-2016, 07:04 PM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by zx5go
Front and rear struts on order under warranty...too bad the dealer damaged all 4 of my wheels on the same visit as the mounted my new tires. $50/tire to mount and balance and they still are unable to do it without damaging them?! Literally told me they use a putty knife and hammer to remove the old weights.
Hope you are getting compensated for the damage! Pretty unbelievable.

Old 06-22-2016, 06:36 PM
sdaddy is on a distinguished road
Wow, I owned an '80 SC for 20 years and used a prop the entire time for both the front and rear lids. I had no idea I should have saved the stick for my 991 GTS...

Old 06-23-2016, 08:15 PM
PT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sdaddy
Wow, I owned an '80 SC for 20 years and used a prop the entire time for both the front and rear lids. I had no idea I should have saved the stick for my 991 GTS...

Old 07-18-2016, 10:06 PM
westloop is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by rnl
Can you believe it? What kind of cr@p are they putting on these cars.

My C2 is four years old and out of warranty. Was changing the oil today, lifted the engine cover and it dropped. The struts failed. I have never seen that in a car, ever.

My Porsche Dealer has them for $77 each
Sunset has original Porsche part for $45 or so

....last month it was a stinking horn that failed......

other than these annoying failures it has been a pleasure to drive and own.....

still, Kia makes better struts....
41k miles. My struts went out last week.

Was it an easy DIY?

Old 07-19-2016, 03:32 AM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by westloop
41k miles. My struts went out last week.

Was it an easy DIY?
Very easy.

Old 07-19-2016, 05:20 AM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
Failing engine cover struts were standard on air cooled 911s. I replaced them on my 78 SC so many times I glued a Porsche crest to the sawed off broom handle in the car to hold. There even used to be aftermarket bracket kits to double them up.

Old 07-19-2016, 07:09 PM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
Jesus!! Had no idea this was going on. Better try mine out this weekend. As for the horns:
Those suckers are outsourced and I had to have horns replaced on BOTH my 997.2S and my 991.1S, FWIW.

Old 05-28-2018, 05:44 AM
ArmanMD is an unknown quantity at this point
Part name?

I just now got lucky enough to get this problem on my 2013 991. I'm having trouble finding the part on sunset. Does anyone know the part number or the exact part name? Thanks!

Old 05-28-2018, 07:54 AM
90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by rnl
Can you believe it? What kind of cr@p are they putting on these cars.

My C2 is four years old and out of warranty. Was changing the oil today, lifted the engine cover and it dropped. The struts failed. I have never seen that in a car, ever.

My Porsche Dealer has them for $77 each
Sunset has original Porsche part for $45 or so

....last month it was a stinking horn that failed......

other than these annoying failures it has been a pleasure to drive and own.....

still, Kia makes better struts....

Guess you don't own a Cayenne as they have two giant one's that hold up the rear hatch and two for the rear glass and they are both a real pain to replace not to mention they are not cheap.

Old 05-28-2018, 07:56 AM
ArmanMD is an unknown quantity at this point
Engine cover strut

No I have a 2013 911. It is a very light engine cover and I'm very surprised the pneumatic device is so cheaply made as to break on such little weight.

Old 05-28-2018, 07:57 AM
90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of
Seems all of us SC owners have had the same solution, but my 964 and 993's also had the problem but not my 996's(5), 997's(5) or my 991 as bad.

Old 05-29-2018, 05:12 PM
BradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to all
Replaced my engine cover struts last month. It was weird, one day they worked fine and the next day (literally) they wouldn't even come close to supporting the lid. They fail fast! 4 years, 23k miles. I got Stabilus replacements on Ebay. Around $40 if I recall. At just a few inches long they are very cute.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Engine Cover Strut Failure