Airbag Light in cluster on after installs, Help Wanted?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 07:13 PM
jddarkhorse14 is on a distinguished road
Airbag Light in cluster on after installs, Help Wanted?

Hello all,

So I took the car in to the shop to have it wrapped. I'm friends with the shop owner so I did a SD PDK wheel install myself while it was there. PDK SD Wheel Install: Disconnected batt (came back in 20min), did the install, no issues. NO AIRBAG light on while testing start.

Wrap timeuring the install, specifically when the door panels/mirrors come off. Along with them, door internal components. Airbag Harness disconnected (said shop owner). After that install, AIRBAG LIGHT ON.

I asked my guy, well if I could do the wheel and have zero issues... Shouldn't the door airbags respond in the same way? I asked if the batt was disconnected, he said "yes". So ??? I wasn't present for the install but I trust his judgment. Any thoughts on why it would be on or maybe other parts of the install could've given the computer the feedback to throw a light on in my cluster? Only weird part, when it was ready for me to pick up (he didn't tell me it was on, I found the alert upon getting in for the first time).

I figure, I could take to the dealer and pay millions of dollars or ask you guys for some ideas to help save porsche service. Can I use plug ins to disable? Again, any/all advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Old 06-20-2016, 09:52 PM
HansGT2 will become famous soon enough
My dealer did it for free.

Old 06-23-2016, 08:05 PM
plenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant future
I can't help you with the light other than to say that you can reset with diagnostic tool, like a durametric. Or find an indy shop that has a tool. Other than that you are possibly dealing with a connector that wasn't put back together properly -- maybe not making full contact. Mind me asking why the door airbags were disconnected? Did the wrapper take the entire door off the frame? You can remove the inner door panel, exterior mirror without ever disconnecting the door airbag mechanisms, and certainly don't need to remove inner panel to wrap the exterior? Even removing the exterior door mirror doesn't require removal of the inner door panel, nor disconnection of the airbag harness (and you can get by without even disconnecting the battery!).

Last edited by plenum; 06-24-2016 at 06:39 AM.
Old 06-26-2016, 11:37 PM
jddarkhorse14 is on a distinguished road
Yeah, plenum I agree. Its behind me now, dealer cleared.