preowned C2S vs C4S, thoughts?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 05:05 PM
dimok is on a distinguished road
preowned C2S vs C4S, thoughts?

I am considering getting 2-3 year old low mileage 991. Is there advantage of C4S vs C2S? I like the way rear looks on C4S better, but are there other considerations? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Old 07-03-2016, 06:29 PM
sgrinavi is on a distinguished road
If you don't need AWD then why spend the extra cash? Isn't the 4s a little higher too?

Old 07-05-2016, 07:50 PM
nyc996x50 is on a distinguished road
i had a 996tt and the first mod i did was do a rear wheel drive conversion. unless you want the wider body, i'd go 991 c2s because it's lighter. i think the 991 c2s has plenty of grip.

Old 07-06-2016, 08:57 AM
SergePorsche is a jewel in the roughSergePorsche is a jewel in the roughSergePorsche is a jewel in the rough
This video from Porsche shows the difference between AWD and RWD...

Best demonstration I've seen of the difference.

Old 07-06-2016, 09:09 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
The front of the awd will feel more planted on the ground.

Does anyone know if gas lift off is still a problem on awd?

Old 07-11-2016, 08:53 AM
Tpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to all
You should drive them both and then decide. For me I don't drive in the winter so I don't "need" a 4S. From a performance point of view the weight in the front of a 4S is noticeable and I prefer the lighter more nervous front end of the 2S.

Old 07-11-2016, 11:31 AM
Leslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the rough
For me, AWD is synonymous with extreme handling more so than a vehicle for winter driving conditions. So, don't write-off a C4S because you won't be driving it in the Midwest or East Coast. I agree with the recommendations that you test both to decide which is best suited to you.

Old 07-11-2016, 08:37 PM
xhrl991 is on a distinguished road
Had the same debate, drove both, went with a C2S myself, in the East Coast, C2S is my 3rd car and no need for extra weight and I saw it as another thing that could go wrong.

Old 07-12-2016, 04:28 PM
09RedGTS is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by xhrl991
Had the same debate, drove both, went with a C2S myself, in the East Coast, C2S is my 3rd car and no need for extra weight and I saw it as another thing that could go wrong.
I'm retired and mine is a garage queen used for sunny day blasts and occasional track days. I went with a C2S for good reasons, and it has not disappointed. I did not want or need the higher front-end cost, added weight, lower efficiency or the added complexity and higher maintenance costs. A C2S with its PTV has huge grip and track capability, IMO.

Last edited by 09RedGTS; 07-13-2016 at 08:43 PM.
Old 07-13-2016, 01:11 PM
Leslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the rough
Just curious, OP. Which did you decide?

Old 07-13-2016, 07:43 PM
Zelig is on a distinguished road
I owned a 997 C4S and it was a bit more planted in the rain when pushed hard around corners. Now I have a C2S and prefer it overall & just feels more nimble. I prefer the lack of weight upfront.

Old 07-14-2016, 08:19 PM
dimok is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Leslierc
Just curious, OP. Which did you decide?
I am looking at preowned low-milage cars. It seems the number of cars on preowned market are relatively limited (I am looking only at CPO). I would get either in good condition with the right options.

Last edited by dimok; 07-30-2016 at 09:22 PM.
Old 07-20-2016, 02:55 PM
unconscionable has a spectacular aura aboutunconscionable has a spectacular aura about
This isn't meant to be derogatory, but I don't see the point of the 4S. It's porkier in a car that has issues with low-end torque and oomph as it is.

The added benefits are... Better traction in wet. That's fair. What else? Perhaps a nice visual cue that it's a 4S. Okay, that's probably worth something.

More controllable "at the limit" of adhesion, whatever that means? Slightly faster to get on the gas out of turns? Who the heck cares?

Downsides outweigh the positives IMO. In general, I see the 4S as more of a GT than the 2S, but that's splitting hairs because the 2S is indisputably a GT itself.

Hope you find a good one regardless

Old 07-20-2016, 08:44 PM
Originally Posted by unconscionable
This isn't meant to be derogatory, but I don't see the point of the 4S. It's porkier in a car that has issues with low-end torque and oomph as it is.

The added benefits are... Better traction in wet. That's fair. What else? Perhaps a nice visual cue that it's a 4S. Okay, that's probably worth something.

More controllable "at the limit" of adhesion, whatever that means? Slightly faster to get on the gas out of turns? Who the heck cares?

Downsides outweigh the positives IMO. In general, I see the 4S as more of a GT than the 2S, but that's splitting hairs because the 2S is indisputably a GT itself.

Hope you find a good one regardless
No offense taken. Have you driven one? I owned a C4 (no S) and the grip was literally incredible...especially off the line and in tight turns. Honestly, I couldn't discern any loss of feel on account of weight.

Old 07-21-2016, 07:35 AM
unconscionable has a spectacular aura aboutunconscionable has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Leslierc
No offense taken. Have you driven one? I owned a C4 (no S) and the grip was literally incredible...especially off the line and in tight turns. Honestly, I couldn't discern any loss of feel on account of weight.

Actually, no. I've driven C2S and I felt turn-in and corner exit was very sharp (as much as I could).

But if you say the differences are pronounced, that's obviously worth way more than my half pence. Did you prefer the C4 to RWD Carreras, overall?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: preowned C2S vs C4S, thoughts?