Has Porsche lost the grip? 911 gets Girly

Old 07-26-2016, 08:25 AM
grover432 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by lj@dira.no
It looks fantastic in white. Perfect config. The GT silver is also nice, the colour changes a little according to the surroundings. But white is very clean and nice. Have you tested the seats for a drive? Like 30 minutes? The 18-ways seats is the best comfort I think. Go for ventilated seats anyway - its addicting. Take the adaptive cruise , then you get the automatic radar based emergency brake - you never know.Take a look at the carbon interior, and leather with silver stitching on the dash. Its worth at though.
Thanks for the suggestions, but I don't think I'll be adding any more equipment. This will be my first 911 and while I've driven the C2S and C4S, I haven't driven a C2 base so I don't really know what to expect other than what the car magazines have written. They say for the first time the base car has more than enough power, with acceleration to 60 coming in 3.9 seconds (PDK, Sport Chrono) which seems like it would be fine. If I'm wrong, after 2 years I'd be trading for a C2S or C4S.

Given the above, it doesn't make sense for me to load up base C2 too much. On this model, in Canada, after you've optioned a base car ($102,000) beyond $120,000 you can't residualize options - you have to amortize the full value of this options above $120,000 over the lease term which means you are essentially buying the options on a car you will return. That tells you what Porsche thinks the used car market will pay for an "over optioned" car. I'm not sure whether I'll be leasing or buying, but even if I buy the car outright, when it comes time to trade, those extra options will be worthless.

In addition, I think a lightly optioned C2S would be worth more on the used car market than a highly option base C2. None of this would matter if I thought this was a 7 year car for me, but I don't think it is.

Old 07-26-2016, 04:30 PM
lj@dira.no is on a distinguished road
Interesting points. You will get a full-blooded sport car anyway. All the extras is overrated, the 911 and it´s unique personality itself is the point. The most important thing (after you have got the 911) is to spend time driving. As my brother who bought a 991.1 C2 350 HP and put Gulf colors on it, and used the rest of his money for driving, like the link in earlier in this thread. I like all the new techno stuff , but its really not the point. Drive drive - shut of the phone - go go.

Old 07-27-2016, 12:03 AM
Christophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to behold
Great write-up. It puts a smile on my face to hear someone who can clearly identify their preference when it comes to cars. Everyone has a subjective preference when it comes to certain things, and like you, I chose to skip the .2 and opt for the .1 GTS (you're not alone, there are a lot of us here).

Enjoy!

Old 07-28-2016, 08:25 AM
beemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the rough
Thanks for sharing, LJ. I agree, the new cars are getting softer and less involving, yet they are faster and safer than ever. It's a trade-off. Unfortunately, we aren't given a choice. Even the 911R, which is closer to what many enthusiasts want, is unavailable to the common man.

Old 07-28-2016, 10:19 AM
Let`s hope Porsche the inspiring and bold carmaker as Dr. Jekyll manage to control the money-beast ,Mr. Hyde. The 991 R is very nice, but as you say unavailable. The limitation of 991R has to be Mr. Hyde`s idea. Porsche has done this balancing for decades, can't wait to see what comes.

Old 07-28-2016, 10:56 AM
Green Hornet has a spectacular aura aboutGreen Hornet has a spectacular aura about
Thanks dira for the great review. I find your attitude very motivational. Wishing you all the best in the GTS.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:05 AM
I love the Martini livery at your profil photo. Wish I had the ***** to bring it on, but I prefer to not stand out too much. My brother has Gulf on his 991.1 C2 - here attaching at the Nurburgring in Verseifen - the slowest point of the track. It`s steep downhill - you are so glued to the seat through this turn.Click image for larger version

Name:	TF15G_2253.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	3.91 MB
ID:	454659

Old 07-28-2016, 11:11 AM
Originally Posted by Green Hornet
Thanks dira for the great review. I find your attitude very motivational. Wishing you all the best in the GTS.
Thanks for the positive feedback, will bring a short story from my test-drive at the Nurburgring coming up. Can`t wait.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:55 AM
911BOY is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by grover432
My build:

http://www.porsche-code.com/PHJV1FG6

The other possible colour is GT Silver
Nice build. GT silver is my favourite, next to GR. Very cool color. I'd add Carbon Fibre int. Looking forward to hearing one with sport exhaust. Its got to be ok. 718 on the other hand.....
Congrats.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:58 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, but I don't think I'll be adding any more equipment. This will be my first 911 and while I've driven the C2S and C4S, I haven't driven a C2 base so I don't really know what to expect other than what the car magazines have written. They say for the first time the base car has more than enough power, with acceleration to 60 coming in 3.9 seconds (PDK, Sport Chrono) which seems like it would be fine. If I'm wrong, after 2 years I'd be trading for a C2S or C4S.

Given the above, it doesn't make sense for me to load up base C2 too much. On this model, in Canada, after you've optioned a base car ($102,000) beyond $120,000 you can't residualize options - you have to amortize the full value of this options above $120,000 over the lease term which means you are essentially buying the options on a car you will return. That tells you what Porsche thinks the used car market will pay for an "over optioned" car. I'm not sure whether I'll be leasing or buying, but even if I buy the car outright, when it comes time to trade, those extra options will be worthless.

In addition, I think a lightly optioned C2S would be worth more on the used car market than a highly option base C2. None of this would matter if I thought this was a 7 year car for me, but I don't think it is.
I'm guessing you havent seen the lease rates up here?? I doubt you will lease...............

Old 07-28-2016, 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by 911BOY
I'm guessing you havent seen the lease rates up here?? I doubt you will lease...............
Whether I lease or buy, the added options are worthless at the end of 36 months. 20" Wheels, sunroof, Bose, PDK, Sport Chromo and PSE add to the cars value at trade. Above that, you are getting nothing at trade (although the dealer tries to charge for them when he puts the car on the lot). As to leasing, rates in Canada are currently 5.4%. I'm making 12% on my money invested in business ventures. I can put the $120,000 to work, better to lease, if I don't need it in business, better to buy.

Old 07-29-2016, 10:40 AM
Whether I lease or buy, the added options are worthless at the end of 36 months. 20" Wheels, sunroof, Bose, PDK, Sport Chromo and PSE add to the cars value at trade. Above that, you are getting nothing at trade (although the dealer tries to charge for them when he puts the car on the lot). As to leasing, rates in Canada are currently 5.4%. I'm making 12% on my money invested in business ventures. I can put the $120,000 to work, better to lease, if I don't need it in business, better to buy.
Good call. i think that rate is down from Feb. Seems to me it was 7ish.

Old 07-29-2016, 01:47 PM
Good call. i think that rate is down from Feb. Seems to me it was 7ish.
I agree that the rate was around 6.9%. the question is: Is the interest rate dropping at the same time the residual is dropping. A C2/4 leased on a 36 month term, has a residual of 57% (24,000 kms), 59% (20,000 kms). I haven't checked an 18,000 km lease, but lets assume its 60%. The question is, what was the residual value at when the interest rate was 6.9%? In other words, is the effective payment the same regardless of the quarter you lease in? A lower residual with lower interest is actually better for someone who is contemplating buying the car out or who wants to trade the car partway through the lease, unlocking some built up equity. All a bit confusing. Sometimes I think it would just be better to write a cheque.

Old 07-29-2016, 04:03 PM
I agree that the rate was around 6.9%. the question is: Is the interest rate dropping at the same time the residual is dropping. A C2/4 leased on a 36 month term, has a residual of 57% (24,000 kms), 59% (20,000 kms). I haven't checked an 18,000 km lease, but lets assume its 60%. The question is, what was the residual value at when the interest rate was 6.9%? In other words, is the effective payment the same regardless of the quarter you lease in? A lower residual with lower interest is actually better for someone who is contemplating buying the car out or who wants to trade the car partway through the lease, unlocking some built up equity. All a bit confusing. Sometimes I think it would just be better to write a cheque.
What is the monthly lease rate (20,000) for that build? 4 yrs.

Old 07-30-2016, 06:28 AM
What is the monthly lease rate (20,000) for that build? 4 yrs.
With $5,000 down, I calculate around $1,800 month including taxes, but that was using a car lease calculator, not a dealer quote. A C4 with same options minus PSE is about $2,000. Not sure on the numbers though as I don't know whether the dealer puts the $1,295 PDI (which doesn't show on Porsche's build site) into the MSRP and residualizes it or it's a separate line item, same for AC, tire taxes. Then there is the $699.00 doc fee. The numbers assume a 2% discount which this particular dealer says I'm lucky to get. A. East coast dealer will do 4% on an order. I was hoping for a closer dealer with a 6% discount and no doc fee but so far no luck.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.