YES!!! I finally pulled the trigger

Old 07-22-2016, 09:09 PM
C-MAN67 is a jewel in the roughC-MAN67 is a jewel in the roughC-MAN67 is a jewel in the rough
YES!!! I finally pulled the trigger

I have been a lurker on his forum for several years. I have owned 3 panameras and a Cayenne. But I have wanted a 911 since I was 6 years old (49 now). Could never get one for various reasons.
Today I went to my dealership to with the intent of purchasing a 2014 TT 911 cab. I test drove it and liked it a lot. The salesman said that I should really drive a 2017 before I decided. So I drove a 991.2 Carrera S Cab. The rest was history! OMG!!! I was sold. While the turbo has a lot of power it was not quick. It took the turbo too long to "spool up" The new 911 with the sport chrono and the "super-charge" button as I call it was way more responsive and quick off the line.
I have seen various threads debating this very phenomenon and I can tell you from first hand experience that the new 911 is a beast. From the display to the engine I truly love everything about it.
Also, I got 8% off MSRP.
Thanks to everyone for all the info over the years... I am one happy man. You can't wipe the smile off my face.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:14 AM
diononiz will become famous soon enough
Great story. We are in the same boat in terms of the wait for a 911. I wanted one since I was a young child also. I had posters on the wall as a teen and finally got a chance to get my first Porsche after a 35 year wait. When I purchased my M6, I drove the Panamera GTS several times. I really wanted to like that car as it drove fantastic but no matter how many times I tried, I could not get myself to like the looks.

I originally had a 2017 4s on order but after driving the 991.1 turbo I decided to go with it. I felt the turbo was much faster everywhere in the rev range. The spool up felt equally as fast due to the variable vane turbo chargers and the midrange "punch" was much greater. Here in the SF bay area there are so many 911s driving around, I also wanted a bit of exclusivity the turbo gives you. Finally the tuning potential and the maturity of the "tunes" was very instrumental in making my decision. Don't get me wrong the "S" cars are plenty fast, it is just coming from my 700hp M6 they just didn't have the punch I was looking for.

Last edited by diononiz; 07-23-2016 at 09:20 AM.
Old 07-23-2016, 03:03 PM
C-MAN67 is a jewel in the roughC-MAN67 is a jewel in the roughC-MAN67 is a jewel in the rough
I completely understand what you are talking about. I really wanted the turbo. But the 991.2 just had too many new great features that I really liked. I know this is a sports car at the end of the day but I like that porsche is finally trying to catch up to BMW with some of the options. They are still expensive as heck to get though. A nicely optioned 911 will break the bank.
Your car is beautiful!

Old 07-24-2016, 03:00 PM
guab is a glorious beacon of lightguab is a glorious beacon of lightguab is a glorious beacon of lightguab is a glorious beacon of lightguab is a glorious beacon of lightguab is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by C-MAN67
I completely understand what you are talking about. I really wanted the turbo. But the 991.2 just had too many new great features that I really liked. I know this is a sports car at the end of the day but I like that porsche is finally trying to catch up to BMW with some of the options. They are still expensive as heck to get though. A nicely optioned 911 will break the bank. Your car is beautiful!
Congrats ! All that matters is that you're happy with the car. For me when I had a 997.2 turbo I felt that it was a bit tame at first. It was unbelievable how much a tune and exhaust woke the car up though. Something to consider down the road if you're ever in the position again to be considering the turbo.

Old 07-24-2016, 05:16 PM
Congrats. Enjoy your car.

I agree the updates on the 17 are very appealing.

Post pics of your car when you get it!!

Old 07-29-2016, 05:41 PM
Christophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to behold
Congrats, man! Let's see some pics.

Old 07-30-2016, 12:52 PM
bmedude is an unknown quantity at this point
That's a serious discount! I also agree with your decision. The turbo is classic and is an absolute beast. However, the nature of my driving led me to a 991.2. So quick off the line, so comfortable on the highway and the rear end looks absolutely amazing.

Old 07-30-2016, 02:04 PM
I drove the 2017 4s extensively before making a final decision. The turbo has variable vane turbos so I felt it responded better right off the line. (both in sport plus) In the mid range no question the turbo felt much faster. The turbo also has a noticeably better ride quality for everyday driving. I struggled as to why this would be but I drove the cars back to back several times to make sure. The final issue is since there are so many 911s driving around in the SF bay area that I wanted something distinctive.

There are things I really liked on the 17 4s also. I love love love the new sport steering wheel. I know it can be retrofitted to the 991.1 but not sure it is worth the cost. PCM is much improved and I do like Apple Car play. I also like the new front bumper and the new rear lights. I think they are an improvement on the 991.1

Really no wrong choice really comes down to personal preference.

Last edited by diononiz; 07-30-2016 at 02:22 PM.