ADVICE NEEDED....Second 911, but first 991

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 08:07 PM
sameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to behold
ADVICE NEEDED....Second 911, but first 991

For some reason my last post was moved. I was excited on my decision about upgrading and thought would share what i am searching for. But the moderator ***** decided to move my post. Waste of time!

Long story short, after having owned my 997 c2s for 5 years, i have the itch to get a 991. I see that the 2012 991 prices are going to the point what i would spend.

I am seeking advice about what problems to look for. I will be buying a CPO car from a dealership. Just my choice.

Essentially, i will be searching for a 991 c2s,
Does sport chrono pack help with resale value?

Old 07-26-2016, 11:03 PM
grover432 is on a distinguished road
If you keep the car another 5 years, it will be 10 model years old. I doubt any specific option is going to move the needle on the scale of resale value. I'd find a car with PASM though. The 2015 C2 base I drove last week didn't have that option and compared to the C2S 991.2 I drove, it rode poorly. I dismissed it outright on ride quality alone.

Old 07-27-2016, 03:19 PM
westloop is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by sameerg
For some reason my last post was moved. I was excited on my decision about upgrading and thought would share what i am searching for. But the moderator ***** decided to move my post. Waste of time!

Long story short, after having owned my 997 c2s for 5 years, i have the itch to get a 991. I see that the 2012 991 prices are going to the point what i would spend.

I am seeking advice about what problems to look for. I will be buying a CPO car from a dealership. Just my choice.

Essentially, i will be searching for a 991 c2s,
Does sport chrono pack help with resale value?
I basically did the same thing last year except I had a 997 C2. Having had my 991 C2S now for a year, I am happy with the upgrade but don't know if it was worth the cost. I'd make a list of things you don't like about your 997 and make sure that the 991 solves those issues and then figure out if the cost to upgrade is worth it.

As far as problems, I have an early production (2012 C2S) and I haven't noticed major anything that wasn't covered by warranty.

A few gripes though:

the availability of aftermarket brake pads - Pagid only makes one compound for the 991C2S, but I recall that there were a bunch of choices (not just from Pagid) for the 997

Wind noise - windows down, but roof closed - at speed you hear a rather annoying noise

Tire Selection - Depending on what tires you have on your 997, there will be fewer tires available and they will be more expensive for the 991.

Maintenance - Its a little more involved - for example changing the engine air filter on the 991 requires the removal of the rear bumper

Adding a back-up camera to the 2012 is not plug and play, but I've read that its much easier on the 2013 and up.

But I still love my 991. Going to PDK was a major upgrade for me (lots of stop and go and gridlock traffic in my commute), the added power is great and the car is otherwise an upgrade in every respect.

Old 07-30-2016, 09:02 PM
wlin is on a distinguished road
If there's anything I wish the dealer had take care of before purchase, it would be all the interior rattle/squeaks. So far, I've had...B pillars rattles, dash chirps, fusebox panel rattle, rear seat hinge creak, door speaker card rattle, seat belt hinge noise. Often times it will require leaving the car overnight or making multiple trips back and forth. Service department at Porsche here in Vegas have been helpful but foreman also likes to bring up how they don't get paid to do so. Bear in mind, this is also a car that was being sold as CPO. Everything else is relatively minor. Engine cover struts on the 991's seem to blow out early but that's a warranty item. Hood badged started peeling but was also a warranty item.

As far as the points westloop brought up, wind buffeting noise is mitigated with the AWE diffuser kit for $80. I prefer Michelin Super Sports and have not had any issues sourcing them in the stock sizes 245/35/20 and 295/30/20. Stock Pirelli P Zeros just weren't cutting it for me with tire noise and grip. He's right with the air filter, pain in the *** but I think the service interval for that is every 20k miles anyway. I changed mine at 30K and it was still clean. If you want a backup camera with the factory head unit, you'll need the NAVTV integration kit ($699). Install is a pain as well.

If you're happy with the way the car is optioned, I'd just focus on bringing your OTD cost closer to trade in value.

Last edited by wlin; 07-30-2016 at 09:20 PM.
Old 07-30-2016, 09:21 PM
sameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to behold
This is all good info. Sounds like no major iisues like early 997 ims/ rms issues. I don't give a flying farck for rattles. Just turn my radio louder. I think i will find one with PASM/ sport chrono.

For me my 911s serve only one purpose... To get out and drive.... Plagiarized from the great magnus walker

My 911 miles are always to no where.

Old 07-31-2016, 06:46 PM
dimok is on a distinguished road
I guess those were the issues with earlier 991s....

Old 07-31-2016, 09:44 PM
JimHJr is an unknown quantity at this point
Yea, Nicks car was well documented on YouTube. It seems to be a fairly rare case though. He just ordered another 991(.2).

My CPO 2012 991 C2S has been great so far. The only issue I've had was the door panel was loosening at the top. Was some bad glue used on the early cars on the door panels from what I read. This seems fairly common. Mine were replaced under warranty. Glad I went with the car. No regrets.

Pricing didn't seem to matter much as far as options go, when I was looking. My car is pretty well optioned (PDK, PASM, PSE, SC, 18 ways, etc) the price was similar to 991-S cars with very few options and similar mileage. Don't know if that'll help resale value in the future or not. Probably not though.

Old 08-01-2016, 05:35 AM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by dimok
I have an earlier car than Nick (built January 2012, purchased late February 2012) and never had any of the issues that plagued his car. He apparently had a lemon and finally got Porsche to remedy the situation. Bugs that cropped up in early production were readily fixed with factory campaigns under warranty, most before affecting my car. Am now at 34k miles and runs like new. Anyone buying a used car needs to good pre-purchase drive and check by a pro. Anything wrong will be obvious to a careful buyer.

Old 08-20-2016, 07:29 AM
LPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to all
Your direct question regarding sport chrono - If I were looking at a CPO 991, I would bypass a non sport chrono car in favour of one that has sport chrono. So not sure if it would affect resale as much as how quickly it may sell as it may be a must have on some people's list.

Also, all the S models have standard PASM. Sport PASM or SPASM is nice to have if you want the sportiest ride in a 991 Carrera S.

Old 08-20-2016, 08:50 AM
omegaSMP300 will become famous soon enough
Find the one with the highest MSRP make sure you get the options you want and negotiate the price. It's a lot of money make sure to find what you want/need. You're getting more bang for the buck too and non of the performance options will really hurt resale (chrono, exhaust etc). Good luck!