Mini review: 991.2 Steering wheel for my 991.1

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 08:45 PM
AlecS has a spectacular aura aboutAlecS has a spectacular aura about
Mini review: 991.2 Steering wheel for my 991.1

Hi all- I posted this on the RL forum a few days ago. Some of you may find this info useful.

Hi guys-
STG asked me to post my experience with installing a new .2 Sport wheel in my 99.1. LOVED the new Sport wheel Porsche started using beginning with the 918. It's just a beautiful thing.

I found it on eBay airbag included. This company used OEM parts and remanufactures them with a little thicker rim and in this case a nice 12 o'clock ring in red to go with my C2S cab. It also sports pretty nice light grey stitching. The thing as a whole is at the quality you'd expect from Porsche.

Install in my PDK equipped C2S was straight forward. I've done this before with another (Alcantara) wheel. Disconnect the battery, fiddle with an internal spring mechanism and pop off the airbag. Then with a 12M 12 point Torx bit (also called triple square bit) unscrew the main wheel nut. The new wheel is a perfect fit.

The thing I didn't know is this new wheel has a MUCH shorter shift point. Probably half that of the .1 Sport wheel. It's AWESOME to flick through the gears with this! The other thing I wanted to mention is just how transforming using this wheel is. By the shape and thickness of the rim it give my car a whole new feel. Super premium feel. Hard to explain. It's just a great steering wheel.

It was super expensive when you factor in the price of the new airbag but I can recoup some of this expense selling my old parts on eBay.

Did I mention how awesome it is to look at? I think it really brings up the interior quite a bit. Here's some photos:
Thanks-
alec

Here's my contact from eBay that sells these to nuts like us:
http://www.ebay.com/usr/911ava?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	1965
Size:	215.5 KB
ID:	455738  
Old 08-09-2016, 06:29 AM
neil.schneider has a spectacular aura aboutneil.schneider has a spectacular aura about
Nice! I guess you don't have the "sport" and "sport plus" light on the wheel now?

Old 08-09-2016, 08:52 AM
Originally Posted by neil.schneider
Nice! I guess you don't have the "sport" and "sport plus" light on the wheel now?
Nope. Don't miss that at all. Not like you can forget what mode you're in with these cars. Sport Plus just wants to murder me. Pretty obvious.

alec

Old 08-09-2016, 08:59 AM
991C4s is a splendid one to behold991C4s is a splendid one to behold991C4s is a splendid one to behold991C4s is a splendid one to behold991C4s is a splendid one to behold991C4s is a splendid one to behold991C4s is a splendid one to behold
Looks great.

Old 08-09-2016, 10:49 AM
Im4citadel is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by AlecS
Hi all- I posted this on the RL forum a few days ago. Some of you may find this info useful. Hi guys- STG asked me to post my experience with installing a new .2 Sport wheel in my 99.1. LOVED the new Sport wheel Porsche started using beginning with the 918. It's just a beautiful thing. I found it on eBay airbag included. This company used OEM parts and remanufactures them with a little thicker rim and in this case a nice 12 o'clock ring in red to go with my C2S cab. It also sports pretty nice light grey stitching. The thing as a whole is at the quality you'd expect from Porsche. Install in my PDK equipped C2S was straight forward. I've done this before with another (Alcantara) wheel. Disconnect the battery, fiddle with an internal spring mechanism and pop off the airbag. Then with a 12M 12 point Torx bit (also called triple square bit) unscrew the main wheel nut. The new wheel is a perfect fit. The thing I didn't know is this new wheel has a MUCH shorter shift point. Probably half that of the .1 Sport wheel. It's AWESOME to flick through the gears with this! The other thing I wanted to mention is just how transforming using this wheel is. By the shape and thickness of the rim it give my car a whole new feel. Super premium feel. Hard to explain. It's just a great steering wheel. It was super expensive when you factor in the price of the new airbag but I can recoup some of this expense selling my old parts on eBay. Did I mention how awesome it is to look at? I think it really brings up the interior quite a bit. Here's some photos: Thanks- alec Here's my contact from eBay that sells these to nuts like us: http://www.ebay.com/usr/911ava?_trksid=p2047675.l2559
So this is possible.

It looks great!

Old 08-09-2016, 08:24 PM
STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !
Old 08-10-2016, 09:40 PM
stealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond repute
Hey Alec

How much thicker is the steering wheel? I am considering buying from the same guy, but I am concerned about how much he can increase the thickness since in the photos it looks fairly similar to normal. I'm looking for BMW M level of thickness

Old 08-11-2016, 08:26 AM
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
Hey Alec

How much thicker is the steering wheel? I am considering buying from the same guy, but I am concerned about how much he can increase the thickness since in the photos it looks fairly similar to normal. I'm looking for BMW M level of thickness
You know I guess it's not a LOT thicker. I don't think I'd like it if it was. It is noticeably thicker. It's funny you mentioned M cars. It's like that. A lot of us have had M cars.

I'd recommend it. I think it feels great in the hand. Added a lot to the experience of driving the car. Good luck-

alec

Old 08-11-2016, 11:46 PM
mdrobc13 is on a distinguished road
Yeah I tried the same but with the MF wheel. No joy with getting the buttons to work from the 991.2 wheel to my 991.1 car. May post the wheel for sale and go with this option and the control stalk next as looks like the new MF modules on the 991.2 talk only to the 991.2 controls and aren't backwards compatible yet. That may need a software flash and not sure how generous Porsche will be with that one.

Glad to see yours worked tho! Gives me hope! LOL

Old 08-20-2016, 06:15 PM
stealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by AlecS
You know I guess it's not a LOT thicker. I don't think I'd like it if it was. It is noticeably thicker. It's funny you mentioned M cars. It's like that. A lot of us have had M cars.

I'd recommend it. I think it feels great in the hand. Added a lot to the experience of driving the car. Good luck-

alec
One more question: how does the grain of the leather compare with the Porsche leather grain?

Old 08-20-2016, 09:40 PM
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
One more question: how does the grain of the leather compare with the Porsche leather grain?
To me it's a perfect match. Just as though it's OEM.

Alec

Old 11-22-2016, 07:21 AM
str4nger is an unknown quantity at this point
HI

Did you have any issues getting your airbag in?

Ive bought the same setup but cant get the air bag to click in properly

I plan to do the conversion this weekend when I get the car back

Old 11-22-2016, 08:14 AM
Originally Posted by str4nger
HI

You might want to make sure there's no broken tabs and the springs are in correctly. The springs came out on my last wheel. Otherwise I haven't had a problem. Goes together like legos.

Old 11-22-2016, 08:29 AM
LIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant future
i really like it a lot. great job. wish i had extra $$$ to pony up.

Old 11-23-2016, 10:45 PM
Originally Posted by str4nger
HI

Which airbag do you have? There are 2 types:

http://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/oe.../9p1880201d5q0

http://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/oe.../95b880201h5q0