Back-up camera

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 08:17 PM
Hurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by VipNYC
Bought one today, thanks chuck for the reviews and the promo heads up.

Question for those of you who have one. Do you have to cut or modify the fuse box / obd. I got the flat wire adaptor from amazon and was hoping I could stuff it somewhere or hang it over the top without cutting.
I haven't done it yet, but what you describe is what I anticipate doing. Bought some Velcro strips.

Old 11-29-2016, 05:19 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
No VipNYC, not if you get the correct OBD II to OBD II flat wire or modify it the way I did. It goes out the right side, behind the carpeting and comes out the top. See post 20. That black piece above the cover is the Pearl OBD II car adapter plugged into the OBD wire. Hope that clears it up.

ChuckJ

Last edited by ChuckJ; 11-29-2016 at 06:31 AM.
Old 11-29-2016, 05:36 AM
Jersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by does195
Not sure where you're getting your prices, but if you use their kit with their camera, it's right at $1K. Want to save a few $$, buy a cheaper camera.
Sometimes it's not the money, IT'S THE MONEY. Why spend it even if you have it if something does the job well for less. I have a 2013 w/o back up camera. This seems like a good solution for the few times I will actually need it and it already keep my phone on an iOttie vent mount now when driving.

Old 11-29-2016, 05:39 AM
Jersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
No VipNYC, not if you get the correct adaptor or modify it the way I did. It goes out the right side, behind the carpeting and comes out the top. See post 20. ChuckJ
Chuck would you or anyone else who bought the flat wire OBD connector take a pic of which one you bought and can you still close the lid of the fuse box when installed.
I assume you are still happy with the camera.

Old 11-29-2016, 07:59 AM
VipNYC is an unknown quantity at this point
Excellent that makes sense, thanks!

No VipNYC, not if you get the correct OBD II to OBD II flat wire or modify it the way I did. It goes out the right side, behind the carpeting and comes out the top. See post 20. That black piece above the cover is the Pearl OBD II car adapter plugged into the OBD wire. Hope that clears it up.

ChuckJ

Old 11-29-2016, 08:10 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
This is the one I bought, but it sticks out too far so I had to cut the connector and put some silicone on it. http://www.ebay.com/itm/331611765914?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
You cut the excess connector with a hack saw then put silicone over it after you clean. It cuts clean and easy.

This is probably better but ships from Hong Cong so it will take longer to get. The good news is it's $3.00.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/2717393...&ul_noapp=true

I got the first one because I liked going to the side instead of out the top.

ChuckJ

Last edited by ChuckJ; 11-29-2016 at 08:12 AM.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:14 AM
I hope you still like the camera.
I'll try to find a lower profile version or do the same thing you did. Thanks for the feedback.
sal

Old 11-29-2016, 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by Jersey Shore
I hope you still like the camera.
I'll try to find a lower profile version or do the same thing you did. Thanks for the feedback.
sal
Jersey:
The lower profile one is the second one shown, just required waiting time.

I like it to the point I ordered one for my late '95 993 which has an OBD II connector (not sure how much behind it is OBD II). We'll see if it works out.

ChuckJ

Last edited by ChuckJ; 11-29-2016 at 11:47 AM.
Old 11-29-2016, 12:15 PM
Hurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond repute
Shipped! Should arrive tomorrow...

Old 11-29-2016, 03:06 PM
Jersey:
The lower profile one is the second one shown, just required waiting time.

I like it to the point I ordered one for my late '95 993 which has an OBD II connector (not sure how much behind it is OBD II). We'll see if it works out.

ChuckJ
Thanks again Chuck. i'll be getting one too.
S

Old 11-30-2016, 12:26 PM
UMD911 is an unknown quantity at this point
My Pearl rear camera arrived and I installed it last night. Worked great. I'm now waiting for the flat cable OBD2 extension cable to arrive from Amazon. I recognized that many folks indicated that they don't need a rear camera for their 911, but I needed it cause my 991 C2S Cab has blind spots when the cabriolet top is up.

Thanks Chuck for your detailed review!!

Old 11-30-2016, 01:34 PM
Originally Posted by UMD911
My Pearl rear camera arrived and I installed it last night. Worked great. I'm now waiting for the flat cable OBD2 extension cable to arrive from Amazon. I recognized that many folks indicated that they don't need a rear camera for their 911, but I needed it cause my 991 C2S Cab has blind spots when the cabriolet top is up.

Thanks Chuck for your detailed review!!
It gives me confidence that I'm not going to back over a toddler. I checked to see if they were working on a front one that would sense parking obstacles or side activity and they said: "not yet".

ChuckJ

Old 11-30-2016, 06:49 PM
Installed it tonight when I came home from work. Impressed with the quality and the ease of setup. Easy to use, too!

I am disappointed that it covers up the "Disabled Veteran" tag on the bottom of my plate but the trade off is a wireless, easy to install rear camera.

Old 11-30-2016, 09:49 PM
UMD911 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Hurricane
Installed it tonight when I came home from work. Impressed with the quality and the ease of setup. Easy to use, too! I am disappointed that it covers up the "Disabled Veteran" tag on the bottom of my plate but the trade off is a wireless, easy to install rear camera.
The "Disabled Veteran" should not be on the bottom of your plate anyhow. It should be proudly displayed on the back of the car instead of "Porsche" or somewhere on the windshield. Thanks for your service, Sir!

Old 12-01-2016, 08:01 AM
Originally Posted by Hurricane
Installed it tonight when I came home from work. Impressed with the quality and the ease of setup. Easy to use, too!

I am disappointed that it covers up the "Disabled Veteran" tag on the bottom of my plate but the trade off is a wireless, easy to install rear camera.
With side sensing:

And now I've installed one on my 95 993 cab.

ChuckJ

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Back-up camera