Back-up camera

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 01:21 PM
Hurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UMD911
The "Disabled Veteran" should not be on the bottom of your plate anyhow. It should be proudly displayed on the back of the car instead of "Porsche" or somewhere on the windshield. Thanks for your service, Sir!
Thanks! 100 percent disabled veteran...miss the service dearly but God had other plans...

But as my wife told me, more important not to bang into anything backing up hahaha!

Last edited by Hurricane; 12-01-2016 at 03:33 PM.
Old 12-01-2016, 02:03 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Hurricane
Thanks! 100 percent disabled veteran...miss ther service dearly but God had other plans...

But as my wife told me, more important not to bang into anything backing up hahaha!
As a 20 year vet, sorry to hear you are that disabled. Hope you can enjoy your car. Was it Iraq?

ChuckJ

Old 12-02-2016, 09:41 PM
VipNYC is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by VipNYC
Excellent that makes sense, thanks!
installed the camera today. It took 10 minutes. I bought the flat extension cable from Amazon hooked it over the top of the trim of the fuse box.

Camera has excellent picture quality. The app start up time is fast but you do have to manually launch it (iOS).

I'd recommend this product without hesitation. I like that I can use it at night.

Thanks again chuck.

Old 12-03-2016, 08:16 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Yep, it was a pretty good find. They do a good job and the support is very responsive.

I was thrilled my '95 993 had an OBD II plug so I could get one for that car also.

ChuckJ

Old 12-03-2016, 11:34 PM
Hurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by VipNYC
installed the camera today. It took 10 minutes. I bought the flat extension cable from Amazon hooked it over the top of the trim of the fuse box.

Camera has excellent picture quality. The app start up time is fast but you do have to manually launch it (iOS).

I'd recommend this product without hesitation. I like that I can use it at night.

Thanks again chuck.
Yes, I was pleasantly surprised at how quick it launches. Press home button, press app, throw it on the holder and by the time I am buckled the rear camera video is on the screen. I just grab the phone and store it in a side pocket (where I usually keep it anyways) when I take off if I don't feel like leaving it on the mount. I put the large metal plate on the back of my iPhone 7 Plus. With a case on you cannot even tell that it has the metal plate on it. Works great with the vent mount.

Easy to install. Happy that the PCM seems to still connect to the phone, too, for hands free phone calls, etc. Really nice solution.

Can't decide if I like the vertical (split screen) or horizontal views better yet...

Thanks again to Chuck for finding this! Cheers!

Old 12-04-2016, 05:07 AM
Hurricane:
I wondered which I would like also, but in the end, I've settled into portrait view. Having said that, there are advantages to each.

I'm really pleased with the active distance lines. I haven't seen anything like that and they are really useful.

With the way these guys work, I'm sure you will have auto-start soon.

ChuckJ

Old 12-04-2016, 08:20 AM
UMD911 is an unknown quantity at this point
Does leaving the Pearl OBD2 device plugged in port drain the car battery when parked in a garage? Does our 991 911 deactivate the OBD2 port after a few minutes or does it turn off when we lock our cars?

I have my car on a battery tender but was I am interested to know if the OBD2 port deactivates after if the car ignition is off.

Old 12-05-2016, 05:38 AM
When you plug it in without the car turned on it does make a start-up noise so there must be some draw, but the blue-tooth and wifi doesn't seem to be working as indicated by nothing on the app working (including the battery level). I have a battery volt meter I plug into my 993 cigarette lighter and the battery voltage doesn't seem to go down noticeably over the five minutes I watched it. Despite that, because I don't have a tender on it and I only drive it every couple of weeks, I unplug the adapter in that car.

That said, I hope someone has a way to measure the draw more quantitatively.

ChuckJ

Old 12-05-2016, 07:37 AM
VipNYC is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by UMD911
Does leaving the Pearl OBD2 device plugged in port drain the car battery when parked in a garage? Does our 991 911 deactivate the OBD2 port after a few minutes or does it turn off when we lock our cars?

I have my car on a battery tender but was I am interested to know if the OBD2 port deactivates after if the car ignition is off.
I asked this question to pearl support - here's what Dusty over there said:
Let me put your mind at ease. We’ve designed the Car Adapter and Camera Frame to communicate wirelessly, and that requires some power. So we’ve designed RearVision to be super-efficient.

The Car Adapter is powered through your car’s OBD port (On-Board Diagnostic port), and the Camera Frame is powered by solar-charged batteries embedded inside the frame. The Car Adapter attached to your OBD port draws such a small amount of power that it doesn’t have any impact on your car battery.

For more details on power, battery safety, and charging, check out the Safety & Operations Guide included in your RearVision packaging or visit our Support site via the link below.

https://support.pearlauto.com/hc/en-...cles/219871388

Let us know if you have any additional questions. We’re always happy to help!

Old 12-05-2016, 01:45 PM
I contacted them this morning on this very subject and asked them to provide an actual amp usage with the key turned off. They said they would respond, but I'm not holding my breath. I'll let everyone know if they do. In the meantime, I'm keeping the adapter out of the port in my 993 which I drive only once or twice a month, but in the 991.

ChuckJ

Old 12-05-2016, 02:23 PM
Got the amperage answer from Pearl, which was basically the same as VIP's:
"Hi Charles,

Thanks for reaching out. We don't have a definitive number for the amount of battery drain caused by the Car Adapter while a vehicle is dormant due to the many variables that come into play. Accurately calculating this would be impossible. Therefore, we recommend removing the Car Adapter if your going to store your vehicle longer than 3 weeks. This will prevent any chance of it draining your battery.

Please let me know if you have any other additional questions. I'm here to help."

ChuckJ

Old 12-05-2016, 04:30 PM
Green Hornet has a spectacular aura aboutGreen Hornet has a spectacular aura about
Can someone please a link to the Amazon part referenced here?

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-05-2016, 05:08 PM
weespeed is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Green Hornet

Thanks in advance.
This is the one I ordered. It's slightly different from the picture, the cable that I got was more like a ribbon cable and not solid like the picture. But it works fine and haven't had any issues. Hope that helps.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

Old 12-05-2016, 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by Green Hornet

Thanks in advance.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C2M2ZZG

This is the one I used, essentially the same thing...

Old 12-05-2016, 07:05 PM
UMD911 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks VipNYC & Chuck for the Pearl OBD2 battery drainage information.

Also, the OBD2 Flat Wire Extension Cable came in today from Amazon. The cable works but the plug is so snug that it's difficult to unplug the Pearl OBD2 device from the cable. (Note: I accidentally pull off the Pearl OBD2 Device's exterior housing when I tried to unplug it from the Extension Cable, so be careful.)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Back-up camera