Back-up camera

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 02:02 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Back-up camera

I pre-ordered one of these for my car. Looks pretty effective with motion sensing and alerts included. I'll post results when I get it in late September, early October.

ChuckJ
https://pearlauto.com/rearvision

Old 08-15-2016, 04:04 PM
MichaelB1969 is an unknown quantity at this point
I love the idea of this, but I wonder how practical it is. Especially having to mount the phone and launch an app every time I get in the car

Old 08-15-2016, 04:10 PM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
Like the idea. Let us know how it installs and how it works. Depending on how big the OBD unit is, you may have to leave your fuse cover off (I think the OBD is in the driver side fuse box).

Old 08-15-2016, 05:15 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MichaelB1969
I love the idea of this, but I wonder how practical it is. Especially having to mount the phone and launch an app every time I get in the car
I agree. They say it loads from cold in 2 seconds so it might be ok. My old one took from 10-20 and then the signal wasn't too reliable. This seems to have bluetooth and wi-fi- and is three times the cost so I'm hoping. There a no questions 30 day return with free shipping so it was kind of a no-brainer.

ChuckJ

Old 08-15-2016, 05:17 PM
Originally Posted by PorscheCrazy
Like the idea. Let us know how it installs and how it works. Depending on how big the OBD unit is, you may have to leave your fuse cover off (I think the OBD is in the driver side fuse box).
Yep, if it works I'm planning on buying another cover and cutting a hole.

ChuckJ

Old 08-15-2016, 06:20 PM
does195 is on a distinguished road
How long does the battery last? What if you keep the car in a garage. Sorry, but for another $500, I'm glad I went with the NavTV. It's +$100K car. What's $500?

Old 08-16-2016, 08:01 AM
tomcatz is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
Yep, if it works I'm planning on buying another cover and cutting a hole.

ChuckJ

Don't hack the cover. Buy a OBD2 FLAT extension cable (Amazon or Ebay) and make sure to get one that includes the wires you need as some are only partial. The cover will snap back in place. Tie wrap the cable to somewhere under the IP. I did mine the steering column and no one sees it.

Old 08-16-2016, 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by does195
How long does the battery last? What if you keep the car in a garage. Sorry, but for another $500, I'm glad I went with the NavTV. It's +$100K car. What's $500?
Battery lasts for 30 days. The license plate unit has USB port to charge the battery so it requires unlocking the lock screw to remove the license plate bracket. In addition, it includes alarm sensors for objects coming just into sight of the 175-degree camera. Unfortunately, the NAV-TV unit for my 2012 was going to cost $2200.

ChuckJ

Last edited by ChuckJ; 08-16-2016 at 11:08 AM.
Old 08-16-2016, 11:39 AM
Originally Posted by tomcatz
Don't hack the cover. Buy a OBD2 FLAT extension cable (Amazon or Ebay) and make sure to get one that includes the wires you need as some are only partial. The cover will snap back in place. Tie wrap the cable to somewhere under the IP. I did mine the steering column and no one sees it.
Great idea, thanks tomcatz. I did that.

ChuckJ

Old 08-16-2016, 12:38 PM
stealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud of
This looks great - I'll be following this thread with interest.

Old 08-16-2016, 01:11 PM
UMD911 is an unknown quantity at this point
+1. Very interested to see your review.

Old 08-16-2016, 06:32 PM
UMD911 is an unknown quantity at this point
Battery lasts for 30 days. The license plate unit has USB port to charge the battery so it requires unlocking the lock screw to remove the license plate bracket. In addition, it includes alarm sensors for objects coming just into sight of the 175-degree camera. Unfortunately, the NAV-TV unit for my 2012 was going to cost $2200. ChuckJ
Chuck, I checked out the website and I can't find any reference to the battery lasting 30 days and/or a USB port to charge the battery. All it says it's charged by solar power. Hopefully, you have more insight into this product than what their website indicates.

Old 08-16-2016, 10:32 PM
does195 is on a distinguished road
Battery lasts for 30 days. The license plate unit has USB port to charge the battery so it requires unlocking the lock screw to remove the license plate bracket. In addition, it includes alarm sensors for objects coming just into sight of the 175-degree camera. Unfortunately, the NAV-TV unit for my 2012 was going to cost $2200.

ChuckJ
Not sure where you're getting your prices, but if you use their kit with their camera, it's right at $1K. Want to save a few $$, buy a cheaper camera.

Old 08-17-2016, 08:07 AM
Originally Posted by does195
Not sure where you're getting your prices, but if you use their kit with their camera, it's right at $1K. Want to save a few $$, buy a cheaper camera.
I called NAV-TV and they told me the kit I needed for my car. They told me I would have to send in the display from my car for modification because it was a 2012 991, then apply the kit and install the camera.

ChuckJ
PS This costs nothing to try for 30 days

Last edited by ChuckJ; 08-17-2016 at 09:51 AM.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:58 AM
Originally Posted by UMD911
Chuck, I checked out the website and I can't find any reference to the battery lasting 30 days and/or a USB port to charge the battery. All it says it's charged by solar power. Hopefully, you have more insight into this product than what their website indicates.
I used their chat to ask that question. I also asked if you could use a 12V to USB to charge the battery when you had your lights on if you connected it up to the license plate light and they said it wasn't designed to do that, you have to take it off the car and plug it into something like your computer. I'm retired, so mine is in the garage unless I'm using it, so this was important to me.

ChuckJ

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Back-up camera