Extended height console lid

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 09:43 PM
dimok is on a distinguished road
Extended height console lid

Did anybody install extended height console lid on 991.1?
Would like to see pictures and hear impressions as I am considering doing this mod.

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU9X1EXTCON.html

Old 08-19-2016, 11:39 AM
joec500 is on a distinguished road
I don't have pics. But for the cost and ease of install AND I have a manual Transmission I found it a worthwhile mod. If I had PDK, maybe not as much.

Old 08-19-2016, 12:27 PM
Originally Posted by joec500
I don't have pics. But for the cost and ease of install AND I have a manual Transmission I found it a worthwhile mod. If I had PDK, maybe not as much.
How does it look? It's not too wide? It is supposingly wider than the compartment it covers. Also, what do you think about 1/2 inch step up in the back?
I you could snap a pic from the rear seat, I would really appreciate it..

Old 08-21-2016, 03:52 PM
TSpyder is a jewel in the roughTSpyder is a jewel in the roughTSpyder is a jewel in the roughTSpyder is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by dimok
How does it look? It's not too wide? It is supposingly wider than the compartment it covers. Also, what do you think about 1/2 inch step up in the back?
I installed this a couple of mos ago. Looks good; not so much wider as taller than the OEM cover. Installation is somewhat more involved than indicated by Suncoast. Need to remove back seats, seat belts, etc to access spring, and need to use original screws as new ones are not included. IMO, the higher cover presents a more comfortable arm rest, but the storage area is the same shallow tray, albeit with a taller cover space for larger objects. No human has ever, or will ever, be in the back seats, so can't comment on that view.

Spyder

Old 08-21-2016, 07:53 PM
Originally Posted by TSpyder
I installed this a couple of mos ago. Looks good; not so much wider as taller than the OEM cover. Installation is somewhat more involved than indicated by Suncoast. Need to remove back seats, seat belts, etc to access spring, and need to use original screws as new ones are not included. IMO, the higher cover presents a more comfortable arm rest, but the storage area is the same shallow tray, albeit with a taller cover space for larger objects. No human has ever, or will ever, be in the back seats, so can't comment on that view.

Spyder
Thanks Spyder. My dealer quoted 2 hrs for install. Based on what you said I now understand why. Would you be able to snap a pic of how does it look?

Old 08-22-2016, 01:14 PM
TSpyder is a jewel in the roughTSpyder is a jewel in the roughTSpyder is a jewel in the roughTSpyder is a jewel in the rough
Thanks Spyder. My dealer quoted 2 hrs for install. Based on what you said I now understand why. Would you be able to snap a pic of how does it look?
The images in the Suncoast add are better than any I could take, but FWIW I installed the alcantara version which matches the rest of the alcantara in my 991 perfectly.

Old 08-22-2016, 01:56 PM
joec500 is on a distinguished road
2hours??? It's 1hour tops for any trained tech. I did mine twice, the first time they didn't ship the right return spring.

I can do the install in 45mins and I am not a trained Porsche Tech.

It's a super easy install.

Old 08-22-2016, 08:24 PM
Jersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to behold
I want to do this to. I have an MT so I would like the gain in height. I was thinking Alcantara even though my interior is black leather. My headliner is alcantara. Sound weird or not.?

I would do the install myself. How difficult was the install and any special tools or sizes needed.?

Last edited by Jersey Shore; 08-23-2016 at 08:01 AM.
Old 08-23-2016, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by Jersey Shore
I want to do this to. I have an MT so I would like the gain in height. I was thinking Alcantara even though my interior is black leather. My headliner is alcantara. Sound weird or not.?
All I can say is that the alcantara version looks quite good on my two-tone black/grey interior.

Originally Posted by Jersey Shore
I would do the install myself. How difficult was the install and any special tools or sizes needed.?
No special tools required. Install should not present any real difficulty, especially if you have experience with interior trim removal, eg, radar hardwiring, or cell phone cradle installation. I think that Plenum's blog or Macarbon are good sites for 991 trim removal.

Old 08-23-2016, 05:16 PM
Jersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to behold
What trim has to come off? I thought it was back seats and some seat belt removal. Does rear carpeting have to come up.?

Old 08-23-2016, 05:45 PM
Pmorritt is just really nicePmorritt is just really nicePmorritt is just really nicePmorritt is just really nice
I would like to do this. Does anyone here have a step by step guide and or pics?
Ok, just found this great guide w pics. Ordering new lid��
http://rennlist.com/forums/991/93490...e-warning.html

Last edited by Pmorritt; 08-23-2016 at 06:12 PM.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:42 PM
Originally Posted by Pmorritt
I would like to do this. Does anyone here have a step by step guide and or pics?
Ok, just found this great guide w pics. Ordering new lid��
http://rennlist.com/forums/991/93490...e-warning.html
Thank you for the reference. It looks quite involved, at least for me; so I'll have dealer do it for me. On another note, that lid looks great on the pictures. I ordered one for myself.

Last edited by dimok; 08-24-2016 at 07:15 PM.