991 C4S Trunk Space

Old 09-20-2016, 12:30 AM
atlien01 is an unknown quantity at this point
991 C4S Trunk Space

I have a very general questions on luggage space for a 2014 991 Carrera 4S Cabriolet. I am planning to rent one for a long vacation and curious if my tumi medium trip luggage would fit. It's dimensions are 28 x 17.5 x 11.5. I read the dimensions for the trunk are 27 x 18 x 16.5. It is cutting it very close. Wondering if others have experience or can confirm exact trunk dimensions. Would this fit with one rear seat folded down? Planning to have a third passenger with the suitcase for a short period of time.

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-20-2016, 02:37 AM
grover432 is on a distinguished road
Adult or small child passenger? I'd say you need smaller luggage. Go to Costco and get something cheap

Old 09-20-2016, 12:22 PM
TAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond repute
I don't know how Porsche came up with those dimensions since the sides taper and there is a rear recess. Better to go to the dealer and measure the car yourself or get some soft luggage that will conform to the shape of the frunk.

Old 09-20-2016, 12:58 PM
grover432 is on a distinguished road
And you should measure your passenger to make sure he/she conforms to the dimensions of the rear seat.

Old 09-20-2016, 03:59 PM
Gus_Smedstad is on a distinguished road
It happens I own that precise car, a 2014 C4S Cab.

The frunk is pretty much 27 (width) x 15 (depth) x 17 (height) if you measure at the bottom / front. There are bumps in the corner that prevent it from being 18" deep if you're measuring from the edges. It gets slightly wider as it goes up, and it's taller in the back, but there's just no way it's going to fit that suitcase.

28" is a big suitcase. I've done a lot of traveling with an Eagle Creek Tarmac 25, which is 25" tall (naturally) and fits into the frunk easily. I've lived out of that suitcase for a month at a time, so IMHO that's enough for almost any trip.

The 28" suitcase will fit easily into one of the rear seats, though. Folding it down actually reduces the cargo space available. The main benefit is you get a flat surface. However, you haven't said how big your passenger's suitcase will be. There's no guarantee it will fit in the frunk either.

The rear seat's quite painful for most adults. I've driven with a passenger in the front and my 5' 8" wife in the back, but it wasn't something you want to do for any distance.

If you do think about getting a smaller suitcase, think about getting something decent. You're going on a long trip, and there's a big difference between the handling and durability of cheap luggage and decent stuff.

Old 09-20-2016, 07:57 PM
stealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond repute
I don't think this Tumi will fit. In fact I am certain it won't fit.

Your best bet is to buy a Medium suitcase that is custom made for the trunk. And then out a carry on in the back of the fold down seat.

This is the largest suitcase that will fit in the front trunk.

http://shop3.porsche.com/usa/baggage...ni-racing.pdds

Last edited by stealth.pilot; 09-20-2016 at 08:04 PM.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:14 AM
TAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond repute
I got these bags a while back and they fit the frunk of a 991/981. There is room for a folded garment bag too. The two smaller bags are a bonus to fit behind the seats. http://www.schnellautosports.com/por...gage-bags.html