The bad and the good.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 03:30 PM
Leslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the rough
The bad and the good.

So, it's Saturday morning and I decide to check out a movie and run a few errands. But when I drive out of the garage I notice a low tire warning...as in 36 pounds low! Yikes! Fortunately there's a valet area at the main entrance of my condo and I park my GTS and telephone Roadside Assistance. It takes about 95 minutes for the truck to arrive...turns out they assigned the pick-up to a driver who was in downtown L.A. and he had to negotiate a bit of traffic to reach me in Century City. That's cool because I was having a bit of difficulty reaching the Service Advisor at BH Porsche...they only have one working on Saturdays. The good news is that I got through to the advisor as my car was being lifted onto the flatbed and they had my tire in stock. $587.00 and 45 minutes later I'm back in my GTS! It was a screw that did me in. I really cannot say enough good things about Roadside Assistance...they continuously checked-in with me and the tow company...and BH Porsche who took really good care of me once I arrived there. Also, the fact that I was literally home when all this occurred is a true blessing.

Old 09-24-2016, 06:51 PM
combatninja has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Gotta love Porsche, this guy has his Saturday ruined and spends $587 on one tire and he's HAPPY about it!

Old 09-25-2016, 12:40 AM
rkwfxd is an unknown quantity at this point
I have learned from experience that the BEST place to have a flat is in your garage.

Old 09-25-2016, 09:14 AM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
I've had a few of those with various 911's, always the right rear tire for some reason.

Old 09-25-2016, 04:21 PM
Leslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by chance6
I've had a few of those with various 911's, always the right rear tire for some reason.
Mine was the right rear as well.

Old 09-25-2016, 04:40 PM
ronglos is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by rkwfxd
I have learned from experience that the BEST place to have a flat is in your garage.
Amen

Old 09-25-2016, 05:04 PM
last911 has a spectacular aura aboutlast911 has a spectacular aura about
The right rear wheel is where the nail magnets are housed. It's just science, people. You can look it up.

Old 09-25-2016, 07:29 PM
onedae is on a distinguished road
Any reason you didn't just get the tire repaired? Unless the nail was too close to the sidewall, a proper repair works just fine. I've done it many times over the years. I know the dealer will not repair the tire but there are plenty of very qualified shops in West LA.

Old 09-26-2016, 03:32 AM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by onedae
Any reason you didn't just get the tire repaired? Unless the nail was too close to the sidewall, a proper repair works just fine. I've done it many times over the years. I know the dealer will not repair the tire but there are plenty of very qualified shops in West LA.
+1 If you are not tracking your car or driving crazy speeds constantly, you can get it plugged and save big money. I actually had a screw in my (you guessed it) right rear a few weeks ago. Noticed the TPM for that wheel getting lower, used the compressor to fill it back up. Was able to get home because it was a slow leak. Lifted car, found screw and plugged the tire myself. Has not leaked at all since I plugged it.

Old 09-26-2016, 06:36 AM
Davel is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by PorscheCrazy
+1 If you are not tracking your car or driving crazy speeds constantly, you can get it plugged and save big money. I actually had a screw in my (you guessed it) right rear a few weeks ago. Noticed the TPM for that wheel getting lower, used the compressor to fill it back up. Was able to get home because it was a slow leak. Lifted car, found screw and plugged the tire myself. Has not leaked at all since I plugged it.
Yep, a patch on the inside is even better since plugs can be pulled out under hard braking or as the tire tread wears.

Old 09-26-2016, 09:51 AM
stealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Leslierc
So, it's Saturday morning and I decide to check out a movie and run a few errands. But when I drive out of the garage I notice a low tire warning...as in 36 pounds low! Yikes! Fortunately there's a valet area at the main entrance of my condo and I park my GTS and telephone Roadside Assistance. It takes about 95 minutes for the truck to arrive...turns out they assigned the pick-up to a driver who was in downtown L.A. and he had to negotiate a bit of traffic to reach me in Century City. That's cool because I was having a bit of difficulty reaching the Service Advisor at BH Porsche...they only have one working on Saturdays. The good news is that I got through to the advisor as my car was being lifted onto the flatbed and they had my tire in stock. $587.00 and 45 minutes later I'm back in my GTS! It was a screw that did me in. I really cannot say enough good things about Roadside Assistance...they continuously checked-in with me and the tow company...and BH Porsche who took really good care of me once I arrived there. Also, the fact that I was literally home when all this occurred is a true blessing.
It would be good if the telematics could tell you when the tire is losing pressure so you could get it fixed without having to flatbed the car (top up pressure and go to dealer or tire shop). Unfortunately my 2014 doesn't have telematics.

Old 09-26-2016, 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by onedae
That thought crossed my mind. Because the tire was completely flat and I had driven it a couple hundred yards already, I opted for just going with a new tire. One thing for sure is that I'll be investigating nearby tire repair shops for future reference...hopefully, it will be intel I can just keep in my back pocket and not need to use. By the way, the rear tires on these cars are huge!

Old 09-26-2016, 12:49 PM
Sbh991 is an unknown quantity at this point
RR tire gremlin struck me too with a screw about year ago...noticed parked in my garage