Porsche asking for too much?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 07:44 PM
Im4citadel is on a distinguished road
Porsche asking for too much?

I am considering an upgrade before 2016 is out.

Naturally I stopped by Porsche first to take a look at the Turbo S.

Preowned avail (2014) with 7K miles for $145K Same color setup as my C4S only the headlights are LED. Love the headlights and the rounded DTRL. This is certainly the next step.

Here is why I am posting:

Saw the new Turbo S in Grey and price tag was 215K!!!!! WTF!!!!

Went to the Audi dealer and found that the new V10 Plus R8 with all the trimmings can be had for 200K.

I love Porsche and always thought I would never own anything else, but the new R8 was gorgeous and that new all-screen dash you can customize....love. I find it to look even better than the Huracan and they are essentially the same car.

If it were between the latter two choices without a doubt the R8 is the better new car purchase.

Seriously....The Turbo S is a fantastic product, but 215K?

Probably not the best forum to ask an opinion, but come on...even you guys have to be with me on this one.

Old 10-21-2016, 08:48 PM
thebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to behold
My personal opinion is that Porsche are well past the point of over charging for the 991 variants. Eventually this will catch up with them re: a marked decrease in sales/profits.

Old 10-22-2016, 03:40 AM
combatninja has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Unless you are talking GT cars, once you crest that $120K mark, the 911 range begins to not make sense for my personal needs/wants with a sports car. I agree that $215K is silly money for a Turbo S, especially when you consider that you could have a C4S that can go 0-60 in 3 seconds and has all the same kit for, what, $70K less?

Old 10-22-2016, 06:28 AM
Leslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the rough
The 991 Turbo S is an awesome piece of engineering in my opinion...most of which is more suited for the track. Frankly, it may be overkill from a performance standpoint as a daily driver. I think much the same could be said for the R8 in this regard. Price new makes no sense when you consider what these cars can be had for pre-owned. It would be an easy choice for me between a pre-owned 911 Turbo S and an R8...the Porsche.

Old 10-22-2016, 06:59 AM
GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !
Comparing apples to oranges so I won't compare to the Audi.

From. Apricing stand point you are taking the extreme. $215 TTS is about as fully loaded as you get. You can get one for far less. At the end of the day all these cars and brands or high end cars drop like a rock once driven off the lot unless it is GT or a limited run car (I am talking high production that anyone can acquire). Nice thing about Porsche that not many other manufacturers offer is the crazy array of custimization and personalization one can do if wanted.

Bottom line I do not think they are over priced for what you get (as long as you don't over option them) $ for performance, nothing comes close.

Old 10-22-2016, 07:48 AM
P997S will become famous soon enoughP997S will become famous soon enough
id spend 170k on a new turbo (non s) and call it a day....improve performance later if its that important

Old 10-22-2016, 07:56 AM
spyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to behold
Overpriced. Proof is in the 2014 you saw with it: $70k depreciation!

I'd wait two years and buy it CPO.

Or, better yet, get a Maclaren 570s, Huracan 580-2 or that R8 you were looking at. Prices are similar.

Old 10-22-2016, 07:50 PM
mark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by spyder997s
Overpriced. Proof is in the 2014 you saw with it: $70k depreciation!

You are assuming the 2014 TTS was $210K+, the original MSRP was probably like $185K

A car's value is based on supply and demand and what you personally like.
I don't think a Ferrari 488 is worth $300K+ but a Ferrari buyer will think so. Its all relative. Same for P1, 918 or LaFerrari I don't think any of them are worth $1M+ but people are paying $2M+. Again, all relative and based on personal preference.

Old 10-25-2016, 01:47 PM
SRD1281 is on a distinguished road
$215k?

You buy a 2011/2012 458 Italia.

Old 10-28-2016, 09:26 PM
MrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud of
Same boat here, minus the r8 dilemma.
I'm in the market for a 4s cab, but I want a turbo spoiler. To me a 911 isn't a 200K car so I'm less motivated. I can't have what I want without wasting a ton on a turbo which will depreciate like crazy compared to the other models.
I could buy either a c4s or a used Ferrari california and save a ton. Or I could either buy a turbo cab or a new Ferrari california.
Sure the 911 would probably run circles around a california on a track, but I'm not likely running on a track.

Old 10-29-2016, 08:18 AM
Leslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by MrPorsche
Same boat here, minus the r8 dilemma.
I'm in the market for a 4s cab, but I want a turbo spoiler. To me a 911 isn't a 200K car so I'm less motivated. I can't have what I want without wasting a ton on a turbo which will depreciate like crazy compared to the other models.
I could buy either a c4s or a used Ferrari california and save a ton. Or I could either buy a turbo cab or a new Ferrari california.
Sure the 911 would probably run circles around a california on a track, but I'm not likely running on a track.
This! Get whatever makes you happy.

Old 10-29-2016, 10:10 PM
MrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud of
The F car isn't exactly politically correct to drive to work, and FWIW most people don't drive a F car as a daily driver. I saw a silver California 10 years old with 7K miles!
While a F car might make me happier, a Porsche might be a better daily driver and coworkers may not hate me over it. The guys at work are used to seeing me drive Porsches, but F and Bentley are in a different class.

Old 10-31-2016, 09:48 AM
_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold
It depends on what you're looking for. I ordered a well optioned TT at somewhat below $200 OTD. I wanted super car performance, a nice interior and exterior, and rear seats so I could take the wife and baby along now and then. The rear seat requirement is the hard one.

If that weren't the case, I'd have been looking at the 570S and R8. The 570S would be in the lead if I had a dealer within a few hours. Maybe the Mercedes AMG GTS as a cheaper wild card.

Old 11-02-2016, 08:05 AM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by MrPorsche
The F car isn't exactly politically correct to drive to work
This is a big one.... To me, none of the 570S (my favorite), lambo, f-car or r8 are acceptable to park at work.... which leaves the MB and the TTS. I would take the TTS (I drove the GT coupe and didn't like it).

Old 11-10-2016, 09:05 AM
Im4citadel is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Goin2drt
Comparing apples to oranges so I won't compare to the Audi.

From. Apricing stand point you are taking the extreme. $215 TTS is about as fully loaded as you get. You can get one for far less. At the end of the day all these cars and brands or high end cars drop like a rock once driven off the lot unless it is GT or a limited run car (I am talking high production that anyone can acquire). Nice thing about Porsche that not many other manufacturers offer is the crazy array of custimization and personalization one can do if wanted.

Bottom line I do not think they are over priced for what you get (as long as you don't over option them) $ for performance, nothing comes close.
Pretty late to reply to this, but I had to chime in.

My comparison for the TTS to the new R8 was from a pricing standpoint. Audi's main competitor for their new R8 is the TTS and their main focus was to draw TTS faithfuls away and to the new R8 so I don't think it was comparing apples to oranges.

The TTS I saw at the dealer was a 991.2 and the 215K price was net/net of all discounts offered by the dealer. Granted you were right in having most options, but it was in no way "filled to the brim". It had most of what you would expect out of a well optioned TTS. The price they were asking was 238K. I think you are confusing 991.1 pricing scale to the new 991.2 TTS pricing scale. The difference is staggering. I looked online and the cheapest 991.2 I could find was $185K used. That's still an insane price for a TTS.

I understand that Porsche has suffered (in their own eyes) from living in this "Luxury Brand Purgatory" if you will. The best out of the German luxury lines, but never could play alongside the exotics. But raising the prices of the 911 to levels that make no sense to their growing faithful, imho, is wrong.

$ for performance I can somewhat get on board with that rebuttal, but my main focus was that Porsche is losing their focus on retaining core 911 drivers. All I hear is a litany of angry 911 drivers who want to get the newer models, but just can't justify the price hike. In all seriousness...I'm with them. The pricing is getting insane and its almost as if Porsche wants to sell more glorified Audis (that's what every other model other than the 911 is) rather than selling more of their namesake.

It made absolutely no sense to me to see that price tag. This is all just my humble opinion of course.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.