Question about snow tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 11:58 AM
hobbs is an unknown quantity at this point
Question about snow tires

I recently ordered set of Pirelli Scottzero snow tires /wheels combo from Tirerack. They were shaking at 65 mph and I took them to local shop with Hunter machine to have them re-balanced. After balancing again, they are better now but still has shaking at 80 mph. The mechanic said that with snow tires, it's the best they can do and that I should live with it.

What are your experiences? Is that really true? Should I take them to another shop?

Old 12-08-2016, 12:34 PM
eldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to behold
Another shop

Old 12-08-2016, 12:45 PM
peanuboy is on a distinguished road
I have the same issue on my Audi, snow tire front passenger side, dealer/tireshop told me it's feathering, my difference is this is happening now after a couple seasons due to uneven wear.

The shop balanced the wheels and it's a tad better now though shaking/wobbling still very noticeble around 40km/hr. I read online an alignment may cure the problem but I am not going to bother since i may replace them after this season. Reason being I had the same problem before on another set of snow tires and balancing/swapping/alignment didn't help, I was only able to get rid of the problem by getting new tires....

good luck!

Old 12-08-2016, 12:45 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by hobbs
I recently ordered set of Pirelli Scottzero snow tires /wheels combo from Tirerack. They were shaking at 65 mph and I took them to local shop with Hunter machine to have them re-balanced. After balancing again, they are better now but still has shaking at 80 mph. The mechanic said that with snow tires, it's the best they can do and that I should live with it.

What are your experiences? Is that really true? Should I take them to another shop?
What does Tirerack have to say?

My WAG is the tires should balance just fine. If not I'd complain.

Be sure the tire inflation pressure ok.

Could be a bad balance job but there have been a few cases where the winter wheel hub register diameter is wrong and the wheel doesn't center on the hub. If this happens even a perfectly balanced wheel/tire assembly will shake.

Old 12-08-2016, 01:24 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
I've had multiple sets of Pirelli SottoZeros. Balancing has never been an issue, and they generally feel very much like my summer tires. My last set had a very subtle shimmy at highway speed as they began to wear, but it was hardly noticeable.

Old 12-08-2016, 01:38 PM
I am trying to understand the print out from the shop
The LF tire had 30lbs of road force, and could not be match balance.
The RF tire had 50lbs of road force, and could not be match balance.
The RR tire had 32lbs of road force, and could not be match balance.
The LR tire balance out normally

Does this mean the tire with 30 or 50lbs of road force is defective? I always thought the road force should be less than 10lbs.

I will email tirerack and see what they say.

Old 12-08-2016, 05:25 PM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
Pirelli Sottozero are some of the best around. I think I had 19" on my 991.1S, had them balanced at the dealer with OZ rims, and they were smooth as silk. I've never had an issue. It's the shop! Unless you have an issue with a rim that is undiagnosed.

Old 12-08-2016, 06:47 PM
thebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by hobbs
I am trying to understand the print out from the shop
The LF tire had 30lbs of road force, and could not be match balance.
The RF tire had 50lbs of road force, and could not be match balance.
The RR tire had 32lbs of road force, and could not be match balance.
The LR tire balance out normally

Does this mean the tire with 30 or 50lbs of road force is defective? I always thought the road force should be less than 10lbs.

I will email tirerack and see what they say.
Call Customer service at the Tirerack. The run-out is far too high on three of these tyres; especially the 50lb one!
They can either recommend a new shop to do a full 'Road Force Balance', or will send you at least one new tyre.

I have owned multiple sets of Soto Zeros over the years and have found them to be more difficult to balance perfectly. Just not this difficult!

Bish

Old 12-09-2016, 08:35 PM
Zmoney is on a distinguished road
I'm with Chance6 .. same 19" wheels and same tires. Also agree with Dennis, this is my second set of Sottozeros, two different 991C4S's and no complaints. No problems at speeds over 80mph. Or below. This year is the first time (in the past the dealer did the mounting) I had my tires mounted on the wheels by Tire Rack, still no issues

Old 12-09-2016, 09:35 PM
Thanks for all your help guys. Talked to Tire Rack and they are shipping 3 new tires. Only problem now is they don't have any in stock. Hopefully next week.

Old 12-10-2016, 06:20 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
When I lived in Germany I used Michelin Pilot Alpin winter/snow tires and in the dry or wet (winter) I would regularly drive in triple digit mph and they were always smooth and grippy. In fact, the grip was very confidence inspiring. They worked great in snow too, but where I lived we didn't get deep snow.

Last edited by Steve997S; 12-10-2016 at 06:23 PM.
Old 12-11-2016, 11:02 AM
stealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud of
I have Sottozeros on and they're fantastic - even at high speeds. I have them mounted on factory 19" wheels. Just swapped them for the season (summer tires are the P-Zero on 20" wheels).

Old 12-14-2016, 09:56 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Steve997S
When I lived in Germany I used Michelin Pilot Alpin winter/snow tires and in the dry or wet (winter) I would regularly drive in triple digit mph and they were always smooth and grippy. In fact, the grip was very confidence inspiring. They worked great in snow too, but where I lived we didn't get deep snow.
This!

Check the roundness of the tires and wheels. If the wheels are round and the tires aren't, perhaps tell Tire Rack you want to trade them for Alpins.

ChuckJ

Old 12-14-2016, 02:07 PM
eldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to behold
Whatever you do, it's a 100% different driving experience!!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo563.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	824.2 KB
ID:	465992  
Old 12-15-2016, 10:08 AM
thebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
This!

Check the roundness of the tires and wheels. If the wheels are round and the tires aren't, perhaps tell Tire Rack you want to trade them for Alpins.

ChuckJ
The road force results, and the fact that Tirerack are sending him three new tyres pretty much means that those particular tyres were defective.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.