Order 2017 911 Carrera or carrera S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 12:48 AM
feibax is on a distinguished road
Order 2017 911 Carrera or carrera S

After fluctuating for 2 years finally gathering courage to order new 2017 model
1. I want to save money and order just the plain carrera , does buying carrera S increase the resale value or add extra value for the extra dollars spent ( if I want to sell it down the line ) , I personally don't care much about speed ( at present time n I live in Houston ,inside the loop )
2. Dealership is giving me extra warranty for $5830 ( Porsche warranty ) with $250 deductible for 84 months , really need feedback including if deductible is norm
3. Since I am ordering new ( just want extra safety features like lane assist / blind spot , pkd) dealers don't want to give much discount , was quoted $1400 for Carrera S n slightly more for plain Carrera on the web quoted price , does it sound right , I am not good at bargaining
4. Is there any other feature that is a " must " if I am trying to keep cost low
5.dealership is quoting finance at 2.875 APR for 5 years on very good credit , though they told me that I can hunt for my own finance
thanks for the feedback ( not looking to buy a used Porsche )

Old 12-09-2016, 05:33 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
If you are eligible for USAA, you should see Dale Haines at San Antonio Porsche dale@porscheofsanantonio1.com. He saved me a lot of money using USAA including very good discounts on all options.

Chuck

Old 12-09-2016, 07:23 AM
LIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant future
1. Get the standard Carerra. Since you said you do not care about speed. The standard is more than enough. Also, don't buy the car thinking about resale, think about your enjoyment. I had bought Carerra S in the past, i don't think it made much of a difference. It's just more desirable on the used market but negligible in my opinion.
2. Pass like grass. Donn’t waste 5830 on warranty for new car unless u plan on keeping it for 84 months or so
3. Those prices are not good. You should be able to get 5-6% even on ordered car
4. Sports crono I would say is a must IMHO
5. 2.875% is not bad rate, but I think you can do better (should be less than 2% for 60 months). Try penfed.org

Old 12-09-2016, 07:33 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Agree with LIL, Sport Chrono is a must and not getting it will reduce marketability significantly. My local dealer has all non- chronos and when I asked a past PCA president who sells cars there why they didn't have any he said they all went fast and the rest are just sitting. And $5800 on a warranty?

ChuckJ

Old 12-09-2016, 07:59 AM
LIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
Agree with LIL, Sport Chrono is a must and not getting it will reduce marketability significantly. My local dealer has all non- chronos and when I asked a past PCA president who sells cars there why they didn't have any he said they all went fast and the rest are just sitting. And $5800 on a warranty?

ChuckJ
$5800 is not for warranty, it's for their x-mas bonus.

Old 12-09-2016, 09:41 AM
saeyedoc will become famous soon enoughsaeyedoc will become famous soon enough
Don't buy a warranty now, if you decide to keep it past the manufacturer's warranty you can always buy one.
Many are saying the non S is very fast, no need to get the S if you don't care, I agree, don't worry about resale, although you would get most of the differential back when you do sell it. Another reason to get an S would be if you want options only available on the S, like SPASM.
Definitely get SC, even if you don't use it much, it will make it easier to sell.
Finance rates will depend on your credit rating, on new, you should be able to get a hair lower than 2%.

Old 12-10-2016, 10:49 AM
porshanut is on a distinguished road
ChuckJ-How did Dale save you money with USAA? Do they have a program specific with Porsche San Antonio?

Old 12-10-2016, 11:11 AM
Thank you

Thank you so much every one for the great feedback , so I am going to get sports chrono , from what I understood I can buy plain Carrera , but if I end up buying Carrera S , it will give its value later .
? 1. Is the dealer in Houston not giving 5% off since it's a big city n demand or do I have to push harder
2. What about the tires , are they preferred to be different in front n back , recommendation of the tires n thickness
thanks a lot again for your comments
( USAA I believe is for military families , I don't think we qualify due that )

Old 12-10-2016, 12:10 PM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
The tires, by definition, will be different in front and back- different aspect ratio and different width. Same diameter.
On a base Carrera I'd think you could get up to 20" diameter wheels.

Old 12-11-2016, 12:15 PM
quattr0l is on a distinguished road
Hmm, which dealer in Houston you've tried? A month ago both West and North Houston did give me 5% discount. You could also buy out of state too if you can't get the discount.

Please tell me you will get the manual. I'm loving mine (even though PDK is stupid fast) !!! I thought full leather and BOSE are the options I could live without. I currently do have partial leather and BOSE. The dash area is not leather but the handles area has some stiches.

Last edited by quattr0l; 12-11-2016 at 12:18 PM.
Old 12-11-2016, 03:01 PM
Originally Posted by porshanut
ChuckJ-How did Dale save you money with USAA? Do they have a program specific with Porsche San Antonio?
I bought mine through Dale and they gave me invoice plus $5,000 on the car and invoice with no mark-up on all options (including PDK, SC, etc) and this was before Carrera's were on the ground and the dealers in Dallas were getting MSRP + a premium. They live right across the street from USAA and they have a relationship. Naturally one should compete the process, but one should not leave them out of the competition. In fact, they also bought my 997 in November and loaned me a 2009 C2S until mine came in in June (I think they dropped the loaner program).

ChuckJ

Old 12-11-2016, 04:52 PM
5% discount

Originally Posted by quattr0l
Hmm, which dealer in Houston you've tried? A month ago both West and North Houston did give me 5% discount. You could also buy out of state too if you can't get the discount.

Please tell me you will get the manual. I'm loving mine (even though PDK is stupid fast) !!! I thought full leather and BOSE are the options I could live without. I currently do have partial leather and BOSE. The dash area is not leather but the handles area has some stiches.
the 5% discount that the north dealer was giving you , was that on carrrera S n a car available right away in the dealership , I am ordering my Carrera S ( 2017 ) from the future allocation , custom ordered to which the dealer quoted $1400 off

Old 12-12-2016, 05:50 AM
Originally Posted by feibax
the 5% discount that the north dealer was giving you , was that on carrrera S n a car available right away in the dealership , I am ordering my Carrera S ( 2017 ) from the future allocation , custom ordered to which the dealer quoted $1400 off
Even if you can't qualify for USAA you should give Dale a chance to compete, you may be happily surprised- and it's just a phone call.

ChuckJ

Old 12-13-2016, 11:15 PM
MrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud of
Having a relationship with the dealer helps get a discount. My old dealer that I bought a few Porsches from got me the same deal they always would, and ship the car to me too.

The new dealer I live by now doesn't discount the 911. I'm buying from old friends who want my business in my old home town. Later on I found a second dealer in my city who will give me the same deal my old dealer gave me. I'm buying a 911 from my old dealer back home, but I'm getting a fair deal on my next cayenne locally from that second dealer in my city since a trade-in adds complexities.

Old 12-14-2016, 12:14 AM
Originally Posted by MrPorsche
Having a relationship with the dealer helps get a discount. My old dealer that I bought a few Porsches from got me the same deal they always would, and ship the car to me too.

The new dealer I live by now doesn't discount the 911. I'm buying from old friends who want my business in my old home town. Later on I found a second dealer in my city who will give me the same deal my old dealer gave me. I'm buying a 911 from my old dealer back home, but I'm getting a fair deal on my next cayenne locally from that second dealer in my city since a trade-in adds complexities.
Relationship and dealer are just not words i use in the same sentence. :-(

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.