2016 & 2017 engine cut off when stopped

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 09:43 AM
eldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Biff Trout
I took delivery of my first P-car in November. On paper, the issue seems like a PITA but it really is not a big deal. I push the button when I start the car. If I forget, I am reminded at the first stop after car is warmed up.

I have 991.2 C4S MT without Sport Chrono.
I agree, no big deal.
I don't notice anymore...like getting use to my seatbelt.
My wife's SUV has it.

Old 01-06-2017, 11:23 AM
tomato coupe is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Biff Trout
I took delivery of my first P-car in November. On paper, the issue seems like a PITA but it really is not a big deal. I push the button when I start the car. If I forget, I am reminded at the first stop after car is warmed up.

I have 991.2 C4S MT without Sport Chrono.
Not a big deal!! Get serious, man. You have to move your hand and push a button! I mean, it's almost as much work as changing the music volume or using your turn indicator. There's no way I would ever do those things, even once per trip.

Old 01-06-2017, 03:08 PM
GTW4CG is on a distinguished road
My Auto-Start-Stop stays "off" in my 2015 991. I'm just annoyed that I have to push the "Sport" button every time I start up. But I got used to it.

Old 01-06-2017, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by GTW4CG
My Auto-Start-Stop stays "off" in my 2015 991. I'm just annoyed that I have to push the "Sport" button every time I start up. But I got used to it.
You mean there's another button I have to push?!? Every time I drive the car? These cars requires too much effort. My button-pushing finger gets tired just thinking about it.

Old 01-07-2017, 12:37 PM
murox has a spectacular aura aboutmurox has a spectacular aura aboutmurox has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Not a big deal!! Get serious, man. You have to move your hand and push a button! I mean, it's almost as much work as changing the music volume or using your turn indicator. There's no way I would ever do those things, even once per trip.
It's still annoying and possibly dangerous in certain situations. My Cayenne has it, and I sometimes forget to disable it. When pulling into my garage, going 1-2 mph, my car dies. It's ridiculous. If Porsche is going to default it to "on," the least they could do is have it turn off after the car is actually stopped.

My 991.1 default is "off" and is the way it should be. If Prius-minded 911 owners want to save the earth one red light at a time, be my guest. But don't force annoying technology on your consumers when the majority don't want it.

Last edited by murox; 01-07-2017 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-07-2017, 02:21 PM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
You mean there's another button I have to push?!? Every time I drive the car? These cars requires too much effort. My button-pushing finger gets tired just thinking about it.

Ha ha Tomato you're cracking me up.

Old 01-07-2017, 03:31 PM
Originally Posted by murox
It's still annoying and possibly dangerous in certain situations. My Cayenne has it, and I sometimes forget to disable it. When pulling into my garage, going 1-2 mph, my car dies. It's ridiculous. If Porsche is going to default it to "on," the least they could do is have it turn off after the car is actually stopped.

My 991.1 default is "off" and is the way it should be. If Prius-minded 911 owners want to save the earth one red light at a time, be my guest. But don't force annoying technology on your consumers when the majority don't want it.
You don't have to tell me how dangerous it can be. I was driving along the other day, when it occurred to me that I had not yet disabled the start/stop function. I started to slide my hand over to push the button, when I spotted a nun ahead of me in a crosswalk. Of course, my instant reaction was to raise my hand and repurpose my finger in order to express my displeasure at having to slow down for this nun. Well, I must have panicked, and ended up poking myself in the eye. So, yes it can be dangerous.

On edit:
I realized you were probably referring to the start/stop function as being dangerous, not the actual pushing of the button. Either way, I still agree with you. My solution is to always enter the garage at a minimum speed of 35 mph. This pretty much eliminates the chance of the engine shutting off before I come to a stop.

Old 01-07-2017, 11:56 PM
MrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud of
My 2013 Cayenne GTS had the feature, but it stayed off when I turned it off.
Even though it was annoying, I thought I try it out. Once my car wouldn't start back up after releasing the brake. I had to put the car in park, put my foot back on the brake, and restart it. First I had to figure out that the motor wasn't coming back on it's own. Frustrating in traffic. I kept the feature off until I sold the car.

I'm not looking forward to the eco feature on my new 991.2 build.

Old 01-09-2017, 07:27 AM
911BOY is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by MrPorsche
My 2013 Cayenne GTS had the feature, but it stayed off when I turned it off.
Even though it was annoying, I thought I try it out. Once my car wouldn't start back up after releasing the brake. I had to put the car in park, put my foot back on the brake, and restart it. First I had to figure out that the motor wasn't coming back on it's own. Frustrating in traffic. I kept the feature off until I sold the car.

I'm not looking forward to the eco feature on my new 991.2 build.
Just push "sport" button when you start up. That takes care of the auto shut off.

Old 01-15-2017, 06:51 PM
grover432 is on a distinguished road
I agree, pushing that button every time is really annoying. It won't be long before Porsche forces us to move a lever in order to change gears. Oh crap...they've already done that!
I'd agree if I was a courier getting in and out 50 times a day, but with my 535 X drive, I hardly notice pushing the button. Get in, do up seat belt, start engine, press button, select gear. It's almost second nature. Or, select sport mode and it's off.

I wonder why no one complains that their p car doesn't remain in the drive mode they last set (sport/sport plus/individual). The auto stop just does the same thing as the mode default.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:46 AM
Originally Posted by murox

Have you taken it in to the dealer?. Probably not supposed to shut off until completely stopped. I drive with SPORT (MT)on almost all the time. Forgot once and car shut off at a light. No big deal to me. It would be if car was still moving though!

Old 01-18-2017, 09:58 PM
_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold_ace_ is a splendid one to behold
I think Porsche handled it well in cars with Sport Chrono - I typically rotate the dial to sport or individual mode when I start the car. With my settings either of them deactivates the engine stop-start.

The few times I really just want to schlep around slowly in seventh gear I leave the car in slow mode and don't mind it.

Old 02-08-2017, 02:55 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 911BOY
It is an interesting feature that produces an eery silence. I drive in sport mostly too so its off but next time youre in stop and go traffic, think about how much fuel would be saved if everyone had this feature.
Lol, if I cared about saving fuel I'd drive a Honda Civic...

Old 02-09-2017, 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by scatkins
Was merely an observation about how much fuel/emissions would be saved around the world if all cars had this feature.

Old 02-12-2017, 03:49 PM
trysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to all
Originally Posted by scatkins
The studies on any fuel savings from the *** function are mixed...some show small fuel savings, others none or actual fuel cost. But hey, you want to do whatever the EU (ie Germany) tells you right??

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.