2016 & 2017 engine cut off when stopped

Old 01-02-2017, 07:12 PM
btraer is on a distinguished road
2016 & 2017 engine cut off when stopped

I have a 2015 4s - thinking about getting a 2017 however when I drove a 2017 cayenne as a loaner from my dealer, I experienced the inability to turn the annoying stop light engine cut off feature unless you push the button every time you start the car. Same with the equally annoying lane change buzzer.
The Cayenne would cut off when the vehicle was still moving - about 3 or 4 mph. Really annoying. Has anyone figured a way to get bypass this feature. Otherwise I will keep my 2015 4s.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:49 PM
Duck916 is on a distinguished road
On my 2016 it stays switched off all the time. I don't have to switch it off every time.

Old 01-02-2017, 11:45 PM
John McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by btraer
I have a 2015 4s - thinking about getting a 2017 however when I drove a 2017 cayenne as a loaner from my dealer, I experienced the inability to turn the annoying stop light engine cut off feature unless you push the button every time you start the car. Same with the equally annoying lane change buzzer.
The Cayenne would cut off when the vehicle was still moving - about 3 or 4 mph. Really annoying. Has anyone figured a way to get bypass this feature. Otherwise I will keep my 2015 4s.
According to my SA, it's now a law in Germany, all of their cars are like that. On my prior 14 was off for as long as I had it. Another reason to have sports chrono with GT wheel (**** function). I learned to live with it, I have no regrets to leave my 14s to my17 base. My wife's Cayenne does exactly what you described, the 911 not so much, gotta be dead stop most often to shut down. I really don't like it on red light turn.

PIWIS can possibly be used to circumvent that, unlikely by the hands of the dealer.

Old 01-03-2017, 04:46 PM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
Sounds like a pain in the rear end. I wonder if your Tech can program the default to be 'off'.

Old 01-03-2017, 06:13 PM
John McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by chance6
Sounds like a pain in the rear end. I wonder if your Tech can program the default to be 'off'.
I guess it depends on the relationship with the tech.

Old 01-04-2017, 03:34 AM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
T-Design has created a memory modules for the center console buttons that can keep auto stop/start off at startup as well as some other features. Check them out

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 11-28-2018 at 10:43 AM.
Old 01-04-2017, 05:20 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Great find, Pcrazy!

ChuckJ

Old 01-04-2017, 07:04 AM
Hurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Duck916
On my 2016 it stays switched off all the time. I don't have to switch it off every time.
Love that you can press the button on the 991.1 and the auto stop/start stays off. I only switch it on when I am on long distance trips (highway) to squeeze a little gas savings - otherwise, it is always off.

Having to disable it each time you start the car, that would drive me nuts!

Old 01-04-2017, 09:32 AM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
Last year my PCNA regional rep informed me that this feature would be enabled by default in the US market from 2017.

I had it on a recent Cayenne loaner and it felt slightly dangerous.
At under 5mph, with the car still rolling and light brake pressure, the engine simply switched off.
The car would routinely switch off when coming to a rolling stop, or simply cutout for a second when making a turn.
Fortunately with my 911 you need to be at a complete stop of a few seconds before the engine switches off.
I presume Porsche has an ample supply of starters on hand, because this can't be good in the long run.

Old 01-04-2017, 10:13 AM
Sig Sauer is on a distinguished road
I thought the same thing until I test drove and ordered a 991.2 C4S with the Sports Chrono Package. With the 'O-dial' on the steering wheel once you turn it to Sport or Sport Plus it automatically shuts off the start/stop feature. Although I will say that you have to do this every time you get in the car but I always wait a few seconds and let my car warm up so it's not as bad as you might think.

Even without Sports Chrono, the start/stop button is easy to find on the center console. I primarily drive around in Sport Mode which keeps this setting off so I do not notice it much. I will say that it is a very odd thing when it does shut down on you the first time at a light.

Old 01-04-2017, 08:39 PM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
I used mine last week on a stretch of road with tons of red lights. Haven't used the dang feature in months. I giggled. It's a cute feature. At the red light with the car off it has that odd silence...it's the sound of fossil fuels being sucked from our midst.

Old 01-05-2017, 08:38 AM
911BOY is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by chance6
I used mine last week on a stretch of road with tons of red lights. Haven't used the dang feature in months. I giggled. It's a cute feature. At the red light with the car off it has that odd silence...it's the sound of fossil fuels being sucked from our midst.
It is an interesting feature that produces an eery silence. I drive in sport mostly too so its off but next time youre in stop and go traffic, think about how much fuel would be saved if everyone had this feature.

Old 01-05-2017, 06:48 PM
tomato coupe is on a distinguished road
I agree, pushing that button every time is really annoying. It won't be long before Porsche forces us to move a lever in order to change gears. Oh crap...they've already done that!

Old 01-06-2017, 06:25 AM
af330i has a spectacular aura aboutaf330i has a spectacular aura aboutaf330i has a spectacular aura about
I agree this feature is annoying, I have it on a few cars and have always set it to default to off.

Unfortunately those days of allowing it to default to off are coming to an end, the US government is giving bigger incentives to the car manufacturers if they default this feature to on ... while many state it is for fuel savings my understanding it is more for the environment. It stops all those things our car pollutes while it is running. If the engine is off there is no pollution coming out of our cars therefore it is better for the environment.

The feature has gotten less intrusive over the years though it is still strange to lose power steering and hear silence at red lights ... some manufacturers are now allowing the power steering to remain on which actually makes this feature a little more bearable.

Still with that said I really can't stand it and my newest car, an Audi A6 defaults to on and I have to push the button each time I drive the car. While I thought it would bother me to always have to push this button I find I do it now 90% of the time without even thinking about it.

Last edited by af330i; 01-07-2017 at 01:19 PM.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:39 AM
Biff Trout is an unknown quantity at this point
Not that big of a deal

I took delivery of my first P-car in November. On paper, the issue seems like a PITA but it really is not a big deal. I push the button when I start the car. If I forget, I am reminded at the first stop after car is warmed up.

I have 991.2 C4S MT without Sport Chrono.

Last edited by Biff Trout; 01-06-2017 at 08:43 AM.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.