Feedback on this exteneded warranty estimate?

Old 01-06-2017, 05:18 PM
fueledbymetal is on a distinguished road
Feedback on this exteneded warranty estimate?

I'm ordering a new 911 Carrera and plan to keep the car for 6 years & average 15k miles a year. I asked my dealer for an estimate for an extended warranty to 6 years/100k miles at the time of purchase and it was $6692 for a $250 deductible per visit and $7681 for a $100 deductible. How are those prices? I thought I might get a better deal purchasing a plan up front, but they don't sound that great to me so I'm now thinking if it would better to wait until I am closer to the end of the factory warranty and get something then.

Old 01-06-2017, 06:02 PM
Forujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to allForujames is a name known to all
seems pricey

Old 01-07-2017, 08:27 AM
Hurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond repute
Holy cow, $7k for an additional two years coverage beyond your four year factory warranty? You don't even need coverage for years 0 - 4, you would have your factory warranty. I would bank that money and just use it for any potential repairs from year 4 to 6.

Most issues will pop up in the first few years of ownership, if any (and the 991 has been overall fairly reliable [although not sure about the new engine yet]).

Or just get a very lightly used CPO that already has the 6 year CPO warranty.

Old 01-08-2017, 06:38 PM
svoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond repute
Have them certify it while under factory warranty.

Old 01-09-2017, 06:03 AM
fueledbymetal is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by svoshop
Is this an option? I thought I read here they no longer did that...

Old 01-09-2017, 07:51 PM
tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by svoshop
I believe the dealer has to take ownership and sell back to you to CPO. Folks do it though.

Old 01-11-2017, 06:57 PM
Porschejeff is on a distinguished road
Self insure it for that $7K, very expensive!

Old 01-12-2017, 03:40 AM
jerryk991 will become famous soon enoughjerryk991 will become famous soon enough
I looked into aftermarket warranties for my car that were being sold by local Porsche dealers. In both cases you just had to sign up before factory warranty expired. They were both around $3500 for 5 years 50K miles and both were very trustworthy companies. I spoke to both dealership head mechanics and both said there was no reason to do it as there is no chronic problems that would likely come near to that cost to repair.

Old 01-13-2017, 06:53 AM
love2drive is on a distinguished road
Beauty of a CPO is zero deductible.

Originally Posted by Hurricane
Holy cow, $7k for an additional two years coverage beyond your four year factory warranty? You don't even need coverage for years 0 - 4, you would have your factory warranty. I would bank that money and just use it for any potential repairs from year 4 to 6.

Most issues will pop up in the first few years of ownership, if any (and the 991 has been overall fairly reliable [although not sure about the new engine yet]).

Or just get a very lightly used CPO that already has the 6 year CPO warranty.

Old 01-13-2017, 12:58 PM
Hurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by love2drive
Beauty of a CPO is zero deductible.
Heck yeah!

Old 01-15-2017, 06:11 AM
AlBinVA is an unknown quantity at this point
Warranty was important to me as well

I would offer three options, two of which have already been posted:
Self-insure
Wait until your factory warranty is about to expire
Look for a low mileage used with a long CPO period

The latter may be difficult especially if you have a build that you are set on and you are looking for a manual. I was lucky to find a 1,900 mile 2017 with a build that was close to my expectations with over 5.5 years of warranty.

Best of luck

Old 01-16-2017, 12:37 PM
af330i has a spectacular aura aboutaf330i has a spectacular aura aboutaf330i has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by jerryk991
I looked into aftermarket warranties for my car that were being sold by local Porsche dealers. In both cases you just had to sign up before factory warranty expired. They were both around $3500 for 5 years 50K miles and both were very trustworthy companies. I spoke to both dealership head mechanics and both said there was no reason to do it as there is no chronic problems that would likely come near to that cost to repair.
I'm curious to know if either of those companies were fidelity ... right before my warranty expired I purchased a Fidelity warranty with $250 deduct for I believe right around the $5k range ... I forget the length but I think I extended another 5 yrs, I went with fidelity for a few reasons, the first being that I know they pay the dealer directly where some extended warranties require you pay and then you submit a claim, my other reason is my past experience with them has been good on my R8.

Old 01-16-2017, 09:53 PM
cairo94507 is a jewel in the roughcairo94507 is a jewel in the roughcairo94507 is a jewel in the rough
I purchased the Fidelity Platinum 7yr/100K wrnty for $4K with a $100 deductible. I bought the wrnty from a Chevrolet dealership as Porsche wanted about $7K for the exact same product. Mine expires in 2 years. I have used it twice. Saving myself about $1500 so far. Have 37K on my C4S.

Old 01-17-2017, 02:58 AM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by af330i
I'm curious to know if either of those companies were fidelity ... right before my warranty expired I purchased a Fidelity warranty with $250 deduct for I believe right around the $5k range ... I forget the length but I think I extended another 5 yrs, I went with fidelity for a few reasons, the first being that I know they pay the dealer directly where some extended warranties require you pay and then you submit a claim, my other reason is my past experience with them has been good on my R8.
Originally Posted by cairo94507
I purchased the Fidelity Platinum 7yr/100K wrnty for $4K with a $100 deductible. I bought the wrnty from a Chevrolet dealership as Porsche wanted about $7K for the exact same product. Mine expires in 2 years. I have used it twice. Saving myself about $1500 so far. Have 37K on my C4S.
@cairo94507, did you really "save" yourself $1500, or are you still in the hole for $2500? Unless of course, the 2 repairs cost $5500. Plus, how were you able to buy a Porsche warranty at a Chevy dealership?

For both, wondering if there is any fine print or exclusions that someone would have to worry about? Is it bumper to bumper?

Old 01-17-2017, 06:12 PM
riden has a spectacular aura aboutriden has a spectacular aura aboutriden has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by PorscheCrazy
@cairo94507, did you really "save" yourself $1500, or are you still in the hole for $2500? Unless of course, the 2 repairs cost $5500. Plus, how were you able to buy a Porsche warranty at a Chevy dealership?

For both, wondering if there is any fine print or exclusions that someone would have to worry about? Is it bumper to bumper?
My experience while shopping for a warranty indicates bumper to bumper really is not when you ask about specific scenarios. Also, the fine print before writing a check was not made available after a couple of requests. What happens if a wear item such as the PDK clutch fails and it requires replacement of the transmission because the parts are not available separately? There may be caps on labor rates. Some of these contracts are transferred/sold to another company.

There are too many potential loopholes so I decided to either get a 2 year extension from my dealer or self insure.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.