Cost of 40k service?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 06:32 PM
sonic991 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by john45in
Put the two cabin filters ($80.00) in yourself; buy the engine air filters and spark plugs at Suncoast for about $200.00 total and get quotes from dealers on the labor. Should be 2 hours to remove rear bumper, replace plugs and filters and re-attach bumper. Another $125.00 if you need a brake fluid flush.
40k mile service kit from Suncoast is $339

Old 02-08-2017, 10:28 AM
JSteve is on a distinguished road
A Service Advisor at Porsche West Houston just told me their price for 40k/4 year service was about $2600 before coupons. He said that some owners with less than 40k opt to not change the plugs.

He also said that Porsche puts a lot of emphasis on catching potential problems through the extensive inspections and checks done as a part of the service.

Old 02-08-2017, 10:34 AM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JSteve
He also said that Porsche puts a lot of emphasis on catching potential problems through the extensive inspections and checks done as a part of the service.
That's a really good one.
They must have technicians with superior eyesight (and flashlights) in comparison to your Indy Porsche shop.

Old 02-08-2017, 01:36 PM
jerryk991 will become famous soon enoughjerryk991 will become famous soon enough
A dealer should not be charging more than $1500 - I'm not saying that's a great price but it should be the maximum. I just wonder if Porsche knows that dealers are gouging clients like that.

Old 02-08-2017, 02:29 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sonic991

I daily my car, so this kind of relationship is important to my peace of mind. i guess if you drive 100 miles a month then this type of relationship "effort" isn't as important.
I get the sentiment, but I tend to find that the reality of it all is that there is actually very little good will that extends much after they swipe your credit card. It seems that it makes us feel good or maybe hopeful.. but the reality is we are fresh prey each time we pull up to the dealer. I've yet to actually ever have it matter in the least what occurred previously other than they remember me.

Personally, I won't spend any more than absolutely required. An oil change and plugs from one dealer is just the same as it is from another or the indy.

Don't get me wrong I don't have any problem with a business making a profit, I'm just clear on what I am getting vs what not.

Most of the schedule services are merely oil, filters and less frequently plugs. I'm not saying all of those inspections are not needed, just the actual cost to perform is greatly over-inflated to justify an overpriced oil change.

I've found the best way to judge the value of the service is to look at a suncoast kit for 10, 20, 40K etc.. 40K is $339 (Filters and Plugs) + $70 oil. So figure $300 for 2 to 3 hours of labor = $700 and that's the range of what the work is worth.. Actually I've found you can get the parts cheaper than the service kit sometimes just ordering individually through a dealer on-line.

Old 02-08-2017, 02:39 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Its funny... up until a few years ago, I pretty much stopped working on my cars. Too busy and my time was too valuable to waste doing oil changes I could get for $30 on every corner.

But with $500 oil changes at the 10K's and $2500 40K services I'm finding doing it myself once again to be worth spending a couple hours on a saturday afternoon.

Sure you can argue that is just the cost of owning a $150K car and you are certainly right. Then again, other than learning how to remove the butt end of a 991, there ain't much difference between an oil change on a Porsche from a Toyota corolla.

I'll put the extra $2K or $3K a year in maint in my pocket and do something nice for my wife.

Old 02-08-2017, 02:43 PM
Originally Posted by jerryk991
A dealer should not be charging more than $1500 - I'm not saying that's a great price but it should be the maximum. I just wonder if Porsche knows that dealers are gouging clients like that.
Do they know? As much as I love my Porsche, I'm fairly certain their business model in general is built on gouging customers. (not saying we aren't willing participants).

Old 02-10-2017, 07:05 PM
CSK 991 C4S is on a distinguished road
I just bought my 80K kit (no oil or filter) from Pelican Parts for $179 w/free shipping

Old 02-12-2017, 11:28 AM
Winter 2017, Bay Area, Northern California, 40k mile service quoted at $2,043 (includes 10% discount for customer loyalty). Suncoast parts sells the 40k mile part kit for $339. So my dealer seems pretty fair compared to others at ~$1,700 for the labor.

I also need rear rotors and pads, quoted at $1600 (includes 10% discount for customer loyalty). Suncoast sells the parts for $637. So ~$960 for labor.

Here is a breakdown of the 40k mile service.

Includes:
- Oil Filter, o-ring, and crush washer
- Wiper Blade Set
- Summer Windshield Wiper Fluid
- Engine Air Filters
- Spark Plugs
- AC System Filters - Exterior Intake Filter (wiper cowl panel) and Interior Filter (passenger footwell)

Recommended inspections for this mileage:
- Diagnostic system - read out any faults in memory (Porsche Dealer)
- Inspect all under-body panels - ensure all are secure and tight
- Inspect coolant level and antifreeze
- Inspect radiators for blockage or external debris
- Inspect brake hoses and lines
- Inspect Drive Belt
- Inspect all drive shaft boots for leaks or wear
- Inspect tire condition and air pressure
- Check front firewall drains (rear drains on cabrios)
- Check the door, lid locks, and hood latches for proper function
- Check vehicle lighting and headlight functionality
- Check horn function
- Check windshield & headlight washer system & nozzles.
- Check battery condition and electrolyte level
- Check function of electrical equipment, including warning and turn signal lights
- Visual inspection of pads & rotors for signs of wear
- PDCC - Check Fluid Level
- Check remote control, front seats, foot brake and handbrake travel, door fold-in function, engine clutch, switches, heating, AC, and exhaust.

As long as you are comfortable with it then who cares right?

But you also have to ask yourself... if I bought a $20K Toyota Corolla... would I feel just as good with paying $2k. Or 10% of the cost of a new one just for a simple service? Same work which is oil, plugs and filters, same exaggerated inspections.. ?

I certainly can afford, but I have a hard time rationalizing it, probably because I've done all that work many, many times... probably why I prefer my good Indy, who is more accommodating than my dealer... my Indy treats me like a god and treats my car like like a prized possession whereas when I roll up to my dealer in a C2S I'm just another 3 year old car.. no matter how many times I tell them NOT to wash after service ( I'm super picky about my wash detail) the just ignore and do anyway...

I'm not one who buys into the mystic of the dealer for any car brand...at least for service...it's mainly swapping fluids and filters... which they typically relegate anyway to employees who typically aren't even certified mechanics..

The good part with a dealer is though you know you are getting quality service and there is indeed value.. not to me, but I recognize that perspective..

Last edited by scatkins; 02-12-2017 at 11:32 AM.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:29 PM
jerryk991 will become famous soon enoughjerryk991 will become famous soon enough
So at $150/hour labor charge and $500 for parts you are saying that it is a 10 hour job - so a mechanic comes in at 8:00 AM and works straight through until 6:00 PM to do the service. I would venture to guess that any competent mechanic could do it in half that time. It certainly confirms to me that dealers today are making more money on service than anything else.

Old 02-12-2017, 04:59 PM
All valid points. And once i am off warranty I wouldn't hesitate to use and reputable independent shop. That said I will just add:

A) I drop the car off at 8am, I get a Porsche loaner, go to work and don't skip a beat. no waiting, no drama, no extra costs. That is a sweet perk and no indy shop is going to give me a new Panamera or Cayman for an indefinite period. Yes, they give the the loaner for 'free' until my car is returned. 1 day or one month, if they have my car, I have an alt porsche at my disposal.

B) I think there is extra trade-in value for a car sold and serviced 100% from the same dealer. You never know, a manual 992 might be a tasty upgrade in 2020 and I will use my loyalty to leverage top dollar trade in value and max the sticker price discount.

or maybe i am just a fool and his money... either way i am not changing my routine now.

Old 02-12-2017, 06:18 PM
All valid points. And once i am off warranty I wouldn't hesitate to use and reputable independent shop. That said I will just add:

A) I drop the car off at 8am, I get a Porsche loaner, go to work and don't skip a beat. no waiting, no drama, no extra costs. That is a sweet perk and no indy shop is going to give me a new Panamera or Cayman for an indefinite period. Yes, they give the the loaner for 'free' until my car is returned. 1 day or one month, if they have my car, I have an alt porsche at my disposal.

B) I think there is extra trade-in value for a car sold and serviced 100% from the same dealer. You never know, a manual 992 might be a tasty upgrade in 2020 and I will use my loyalty to leverage top dollar trade in value and max the sticker price discount.

or maybe i am just a fool and his money... either way i am not changing my routine now.
Yep, there is definitely a higher level of service.. but where I tend to disagree is that there is much of a monitized value in a vehicle always serviced with a dealer. The reality is that a car is a commodity, it has a trade in or sales value that isn't at all remotely affected by things like good will or loyalty.. not saying they don't create some illusion of that.. but in the end that car has a specified value depending on its mileage and condition...

Does having a bunch of receipts showing a specific dealer service , etc.. ? certainly not on a trade in.. Regardless of what you think you are getting, it is buried in the price of the new sale.. Had a guy recently bragging about his great trade in, and wonderful price on the new C2S.. didn't pop his bubble but he got a pretty small discount at the very end of a model year...but as I always say, if he is happy then all is good..

Maybe on a private party sale I suppose if you find someone who values that for some reason...I certainly wouldn't give you more because of it because in the end value is based on mileage and condition, not who changed your oil..

I really think this myth of some extra value associated with dealer service has always been perpetuated by the industry.. the reality is anything beyond what is needed to maintain warranty, is by and large a waste..

I do however agree I enjoy a nice loaner car and being treated well.. that I place a value...

Old 02-13-2017, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by scatkins
I really think this myth of some extra value associated with dealer service has always been perpetuated by the industry.. the reality is anything beyond what is needed to maintain warranty, is by and large a waste..

I do however agree I enjoy a nice loaner car and being treated well.. that I place a value...
Definitely food for thought and great alternative perspective. Thanks.

Old 02-18-2017, 08:07 AM
cairo94507 is a jewel in the roughcairo94507 is a jewel in the roughcairo94507 is a jewel in the rough
I checked around and found a local Porsche dealership technician willing to work on the weekend, (young family) and he did my full service for more than 50% off what the dealership quoted. He actually did the work on a Saturday at the dealership, in his own bay using his own tools. That worked until he moved across the USA. Now I have to find another young mechanic.....

Old 02-20-2017, 09:34 AM
Originally Posted by cairo94507
I checked around and found a local Porsche dealership technician willing to work on the weekend, (young family) and he did my full service for more than 50% off what the dealership quoted. He actually did the work on a Saturday at the dealership, in his own bay using his own tools. That worked until he moved across the USA. Now I have to find another young mechanic.....
I've found that kind of thing in the past. Often you can find a dealer mechanic who works on the side. I had a neighbor who worked for a Toyota dealer and had him do my Toyota and wife's Lexus's.. I think it is comparable to an independent, and at least you know you aren't getting the "dealer" influence involved to push more service and parts.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find any Porsche freelancers although I've got an Indy porsche/German I found that I like.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.