Forward looking camera for 991

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 01:00 PM
weespeed is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by scatkins
Are you recording the Front input to the PCM3.1 to a DVR of some sort. I have that input as well as the rear cam but it is really a live viewing aid. A Dash cam is intended generally for recording of traffic, incidents for later use.

Also dash cams are almost useless as a protection if they are less than 1080P since less than that is difficult to resolve license plates.
The car Rover I have is 1080p.
I plan on using the front camera input of the Nav-TV to view the dash cam footage. The Car Rover dash cam doesn't have a lcd screen. So this would be ideal for me to view footage etc.

Old 02-20-2017, 02:47 PM
grover432 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by weespeed
The car Rover I have is 1080p.
I plan on using the front camera input of the Nav-TV to view the dash cam footage. The Car Rover dash cam doesn't have a lcd screen. So this would be ideal for me to view footage etc.
What is "NAV TV"?

Old 02-20-2017, 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by grover432
What is "NAV TV"?
It's a a backup camera module. The nav-TV version for 991 is PCM3.1-XGCAM. I chose that unit because it works perfectly for our 991 and also has a front camera input option.
Here is a link.
https://navtv.com/products/NTV-KIT375/pcm31-xg-cam.html

Old 02-21-2017, 05:30 AM
57bradford is on a distinguished road
weespeed- thanks for the pics. The Car Rover looks impressively packed. It's nice it has an RCA out but I myself am not sure why you would need this unless it is for playback reasons (?) back through the PCM3.1. I am very interested in which license plate camera you have selected please.

Old 02-22-2017, 04:37 PM
Originally Posted by 57bradford
weespeed- thanks for the pics. The Car Rover looks impressively packed. It's nice it has an RCA out but I myself am not sure why you would need this unless it is for playback reasons (?) back through the PCM3.1. I am very interested in which license plate camera you have selected please.
I plan on using the front camera input for just playback of the dash cam since Car Rover does not have a lcd screen on the unit. Easier than pulling the sd card out and viewing on my laptop.

I have this camera
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DNMDVY8?psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DNMDVY8?psc=1

Unfortunately it's been raining a lot in the bay area so haven't had time to install anything.

Old 02-24-2017, 10:29 AM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
I plan on using the front camera input for just playback of the dash cam since Car Rover does not have a lcd screen on the unit. Easier than pulling the sd card out and viewing on my laptop.

I have this camera https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DNMDVY8?psc=1

Unfortunately it's been raining a lot in the bay area so haven't had time to install anything.

No iOS or Android app that can be used?

Old 02-27-2017, 04:05 PM
Finally got around to installing the PCM3.1 XG-CAM, dash camera and rear camera.
l used Plenum's camera install thread for reference. Thanks Plenum for a great write up. It saved me from pulling my hair out, because the instructions that came with it were very light on information.
Plenum Camera Install

Having a ducktail made the rear camera install more involved because I had to remove it to remove my tail light.

Not much else to say about the install, it all went it pretty straightforward.

Now on to the dash cam.
After install and making sure it works, I looked for ways to set the thing. It's impossible without using their app. Now here is the kicker, I can't find their app anywhere. The link in the instructions for Android was a dead link that says file expired. Also didn't want to side load it anyways.
I was planning to use my iPad for the iOs app. But looking for it on the app store, I can't find it. It says look for "camdv" and I found nothing. So for right now I can't make any setting changes.
I plan to email Car Rover and the person I bought it from on eBay to see if they can help. So unless I get the app this thing is semi useless. I mean it works and records onto the microsd card. But can't change any time or date settings, etc.

Here are pictures of the installed dash cam and it running on my PCM.

Old 02-28-2017, 05:22 AM
Finally got around to installing the PCM3.1 XG-CAM, dash camera and rear camera.
l used Plenum's camera install thread for reference. Thanks Plenum for a great write up. It saved me from pulling my hair out, because the instructions that came with it were very light on information.
Plenum Camera Install

Having a ducktail made the rear camera install more involved because I had to remove it to remove my tail light.

Not much else to say about the install, it all went it pretty straightforward.

Now on to the dash cam.
After install and making sure it works, I looked for ways to set the thing. It's impossible without using their app. Now here is the kicker, I can't find their app anywhere. The link in the instructions for Android was a dead link that says file expired. Also didn't want to side load it anyways.
I was planning to use my iPad for the iOs app. But looking for it on the app store, I can't find it. It says look for "camdv" and I found nothing. So for right now I can't make any setting changes.
I plan to email Car Rover and the person I bought it from on eBay to see if they can help. So unless I get the app this thing is semi useless. I mean it works and records onto the microsd card. But can't change any time or date settings, etc.

Here are pictures of the installed dash cam and it running on my PCM.

Support was what I was worried about. If you could put a leading manufacturer's camera in that housing, you'd have a winner because the housing is the best I've seen for this car. Sadly no contact information fort the manufacturer. It's sold by Amazon though, maybe they can help?

Old 02-28-2017, 07:41 AM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
yep, shame that you cannot get good support for this unit, which looks oem and love that it uses pcm. did you have to remove pcm to connect?

Old 02-28-2017, 04:09 PM
The eBay seller was useless and Car Rover help is all Chinese so that didn't help.
After doing some research and digging around online I was able to find who actually makes the camera.
Here is a link to the manufacturer. They actually make a lot of stuff and I'm guessing people just rebadge it and sell as their own.
http://www.wemaer.com/

Here is the link to actual product. HAd to use Google translate but didn't provide much else.
Porsche Dash Cam

At the website I was able to get the iOS app. In the Apple app store it's actually called "WMRDV". But I still can't get the Android app and that's what I use for my phone.

And I don't trust some random apk on the internet.

I used my iPad to connect to the dash cam.
I was able to change all the settings from there. So it's working after all.
I was also able to connect my Android phone straight to the dash cam with the ip address after connecting it to it's wifi. There all you can do is see the recorded videos and pictures and download them. No way of making any setting changes.

I used my iPad and connected to the dash cam with their app. I did run into some issues after running the app. At first I was only able to see and make certain setting changes. Got frustrated and decided to take a break. Drove around running some errands.
When I got back and reconnected to the dash cam with my iPad all of a sudden all of the settings were available. I was able to sync my camera time and date with my iPad, make any video changes etc.
Only thing I can think of is maybe the dash camera did an update using my iPads cell connection. Because half of the settings didn't work before or even have on/off toggles before. Now they did. I'll use it a little more, my 991 is not driven much so maybe this weekend I'll run more tests etc.
I'll get the videos off of the sd card and see how the quality is, didn't have any time to do that yet. On the PCM it's not that great, you can see everything but reading a license plate is impossible. Viewing the dash cam through the iPad is very clear so I'm hoping the actual videos will be clearer. The purpose of the whole thing is to get clear videos and be able to see license plates etc. I hope that will be the case.

Now would I still buy it after all this? Probably not. I paid $85.99 on eBay for it. It came with a Samsung 32gb microsd (probably fake), and a nice Car Rover aluminum magnetic cell phone holder. Very similar to the Pearl Auto RearVision phone mount I got, but not as sturdy. Not a bad price and looks great.
But for the same price I could have gotten a Viofo A119 1440P for $5 more. It would have much better resolution and tons of support on the web. Doesn't look as nice and has to use 3M tape to mount to windshield. Which is ugly and I've seen car break ins just for the mounted dash camera. A plus for the Car Rover since it's so hidden and looks like a factory part.
I guess it comes to form over function. Do you want something that works and has tons of support and features for $90 or something that semi-works ( It records and technically 'works', but instructions and support is terrible so far) and looks great with some features for around the same price?

I hope that helps..

Here is a picture of the settings from my iPad.

Old 03-01-2017, 05:58 AM
57bradford is on a distinguished road
weespeed- thank you very much for the excellent write up and pictures. You are right, it is about getting the clear read on license plates in case of an incident. Please let us know if you are successful with this.

I am impressed with the way the camera blends in. It's obviously a camera but looks very OEM- the best I have seen so far. From the driving position I can imagine you can barely se it as it is right behind the mirror. I'll be wondering how the night time vision works out :-)

Although it took some ingenuity, it looks like you are past the poor support issues and you are up and running.

Are you 100% happy with your back up camera image quality, wide angle and night vision?

Old 03-02-2017, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by 57bradford
Are you 100% happy with your back up camera image quality, wide angle and night vision?
Yeah I'm happy with my camera. It's more convenient than my Pearl RearVision. I don't have to put my phone on the holder wait for the app and then put the car in reverse. And sometimes it won't connect and I'l get a "oops something went wrong" message. That's what prompted me to buy the PCM3.1 XG-CAM.
Also with my other cars having factory backup cameras, there was something odd about me having to use my phone in my Porsche.

I can tell you the Pearl RearVision has much better video than the factory integrated camera. It's crystal clear daytime and nighttime. This could also be because my smartphone screen is 100x better than the PCM screen. The ability to look left or right is pretty cool too. The parking guides are a nice touch and it has parking sensors for those that do not have it.
Also for $499+tax in CA, it was not the cheapest solution but not a bad price considering PCM3.1 is $649 without a camera.

But in the end I like just getting in and putting it in reverse and just going.

Update on the dash cam.

I took the videos off the sd card and daytime videos are not bad at all. On par for what I've seen for 1080P dash cams.
But the glare off the windshield is really annoying. I can see my sport chrono clock and it's distracting. Not sure if other dash cams would do the same. Anyone with a dash cam in your 991 can comment on the glare?

Now for the bad. Nighttime videos are bad, they are terrible. Hard to make out any license plates; the FOV is super narrow, basically just where the headlights shine.
Because of this I can't recommend this camera. I'll attach screenshots of the videos. I'm not going to remove it because it's already installed and it'll help show if I was running a red light or not. But if I needed it to get a license plate at night, good luck.

If I get time, I may buy a better cam and take it a part to see if I can swap out the guts. That would be ideal. I really like the looks and where it is installed.
If you look inside it's pretty empty with a small circuit board, camera, sd slot, and a ribbon cable. Very doable.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by weespeed; 03-02-2017 at 08:39 PM.
Old 03-06-2017, 02:36 PM
Given the lack of support, poor image quality at night and no recourse to the manufacturer, I think I might be inclined to go with a "BlackVue" seen in this thread (installed):

http://rennlist.com/forums/991/91813...thread-66.html

Look at post #977. Not as hidden as the unit you installed, but I think it is pretty tidy.

Old 03-11-2017, 03:28 PM
If you set motion detection on the settings it will only record when moving.
Mine records as soon as I turn on the car. I have only parking set and not motion detection.

I contacted the eBay seller who contacted the manufacturer about the android app. They updated it and the link is now working.

But before that I did some looking around and found 2 apps that also work with the dash cam for Android.
In the play store 'Final Cam' works. They also have open iOS app.
I also figured out a camera made by cyhy for Porsche, their app works but you have to side load.
Amazon Cyhy dash cam Amazon Cyhy dash cam
Their app looks exactly like the wmdr iOS app. I'm guessing same developer.
The fixed app from car rover is wmdr and is a version newer than the cyhy app.

I hope that helps anyone still wanting to get the dash cam.

Last edited by weespeed; 03-11-2017 at 03:31 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.