Forward looking camera for 991

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 05:15 PM
57bradford is on a distinguished road
Forward looking camera for 991

Surfing around Amazon I found this interesting camera that attaches to the rear view mirror. Here is the link:
Amazon Amazon

Has anyone tried this device yet? Bruce

Old 02-14-2017, 08:51 AM
grover432 is on a distinguished road
Who makes the thing?

Old 02-14-2017, 08:50 PM
John McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to behold
Works if you don't have a camera there already (auto high light system). The picture showing the camera showing the front of the car on the head unit is misleading IMHO. I personally doubt this camera taps in the fiber optic loom. Clue of that is the compatibility with all years.

Old 02-14-2017, 09:48 PM
Originally Posted by John McLane
Works if you don't have a camera there already (auto high light system). The picture showing the camera showing the front of the car on the head unit is misleading IMHO. I personally doubt this camera taps in the fiber optic loom. Clue of that is the compatibility with all years.
I couldn't find any information about this company other than it sells on Amazon. Actually it is the first enclosure that looks like it is part of the car. If the design isn't patented the others should jump on it.

Old 02-15-2017, 11:26 PM
weespeed is an unknown quantity at this point
I have this dash cam, but haven't installed it yet.

I did find a reedit post where someone installed it on their 991 and said it works.

reedit link

Old 02-16-2017, 04:39 AM
Originally Posted by weespeed
I have this dash cam, but haven't installed it yet.

I did find a reedit post where someone installed it on their 991 and said it works.

reedit link
Does it come with any documentation indicating who makes the thing, where it comes form, etc?

Old 02-16-2017, 05:38 AM
Mystery Maker

I'm not sure who makes this camera. Car Rover is a "no-name". Thanks weespeed for the Reedit link. The picture there looked decent actually.

Old 02-16-2017, 09:17 AM
I think I'd pass on it. While it is a great enclosure, who knows how well it operates and what kind of support you can get with no company contact. Has to be a Chinese product just being dumped here. with no support.

Old 02-16-2017, 07:35 PM
The item is from Car rover, and it's a Chinese company, well that's where it came from.
I bought mine on ebay.
As for the unit, it looks nice, has a wiring harness and looks really easy to install. From the reedit link, it looks very factory and hidden.
I haven't had time with all this rain here in California, also wanted to install my Nav-Tv so I can use the front camera input for the dash cam.

I'll update when I do get it installed.

edit: I'll take pictures of the unit I got and will update the post. Probably in a day or two.

Last edited by weespeed; 02-16-2017 at 07:38 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:08 PM
Originally Posted by weespeed
The item is from Car rover, and it's a Chinese company, well that's where it came from.
I bought mine on ebay.
As for the unit, it looks nice, has a wiring harness and looks really easy to install. From the reedit link, it looks very factory and hidden.
I haven't had time with all this rain here in California, also wanted to install my Nav-Tv so I can use the front camera input for the dash cam.

I'll update when I do get it installed.

edit: I'll take pictures of the unit I got and will update the post. Probably in a day or two.
Look forward to it, thanks.

Old 02-17-2017, 05:55 AM
Thumbs up NAV TV + Car Rover interface

Hey Weespeed~
install my Nav-Tv so I can use the front camera input for the dash cam.

Are you referring to the PCM3.1 XG-CAM? I did not see that the the Car Rover camera had a "video out"- although it mentions WiFi. How will you connect the Car Rover to NavTV? I am very excited to hear about your results as this is exactly what I want to do as well.

BTW- which camera will you use in the back- the Camera 6 from NAV TV?

Last edited by 57bradford; 02-17-2017 at 09:08 AM.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:20 PM
57bradford, I bought the PCM3.1 XG-CAM. The camera harness has an rca out.
It does have wifi and you need to download their app. But I don't trust apps that are not in any appstore, that's why I opted for the PCM3.1 XG-CAM.
I have a license plate camera that attaches to license plate mounting. I didn't want to drill into my 991, figure if I don't like the set up I can just un bolt everything and go back to my Pearl backup camera.

Here are the pictures of the unit and the instructions. Sorry about it being so dark. It's raining and dark out here in California and my Living room lights are dim.

Let me know if there are any questions.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:18 AM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
I did the think-ware F770 camera. Front and rear (inside) and it seems to be working very well for the last 3 months. Mounted just to the upper right of the rear view mirror. As discrete as they probably get.

Software works pretty good, although it nags you endlessly about reformatting card. I ended up turning down the alert volume and that worked well.

I did a NAVTV for backup, which I like. I also installed a front camera below the bumper for forward use but since it isn't connected to a DVR it is more or less useless. I finally yanked it out as I didn't see a point.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:23 AM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 57bradford
Hey Weespeed~

Are you referring to the PCM3.1 XG-CAM? I did not see that the the Car Rover camera had a "video out"- although it mentions WiFi. How will you connect the Car Rover to NavTV? I am very excited to hear about your results as this is exactly what I want to do as well.

I think there are drastically different use cases. A Dash cam (with or without a rear facing camera as well) is for recording. .Great for helping out with incidents. Also note you need something high res so you can catch plates so anything less than 1080P falls short.

I also installed a NAV TV PCM3.1 (there are various versions) with a rear sony camera that works well. But this is really a real time backup cam. I also installed a front camera input for the PCM3.1 but yanked it out. Again it is a real time cam. I thought it might help with parking and curbs but it was kind of a waste. Don't get me wrong I love the backup but it is really for backup live viewing which is a different use case. Doesn't really need to be HD either as the PCM3.1 is just an NTSC composite input.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:26 AM
Originally Posted by 57bradford
Hey Weespeed~

Are you recording the Front input to the PCM3.1 to a DVR of some sort. I have that input as well as the rear cam but it is really a live viewing aid. A Dash cam is intended generally for recording of traffic, incidents for later use.

Also dash cams are almost useless as a protection if they are less than 1080P since less than that is difficult to resolve license plates.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.