GIAC 991.2 Carrera S Software Now Available!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 07:51 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by John McLane
Any news on the tune for the base model? Maybe some turbo upgrades...
Originally Posted by Fancy Pants
Nothing. I'm in their area and told them they can go ahead and tune my car and... crickets.
They're currently working on a base Carrera car.

Hang in there, it's coming soon.

Old 04-24-2017, 10:46 PM
windblow will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Tom@Champion
They're currently working on a base Carrera car.

Hang in there, it's coming soon.
It's a race to the finish line.

GIAC is playing catch up in the race so it's good to see them get ahead this time. Hopefully they come out with a tune for the base before Cobb.

Old 04-25-2017, 06:58 AM
Sig Sauer is on a distinguished road
I've tried to get an ETA from Cobb on any 991.2 tune, contacting them a few times this year and they are not giving any time frame on their tune at this point. It could be a while. I'm probably going with the GIAC tune on my 'S'. Not sure why some people prefer Cobb over GIAC, both have great reputations in the business. Is there something I'm missing?

Old 04-25-2017, 07:53 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by windblow
It's a race to the finish line.

GIAC is playing catch up in the race so it's good to see them get ahead this time. Hopefully they come out with a tune for the base before Cobb.
I normally don't like boast, but if you look back at the last few model generations of cars, you'll find that GIAC is not the one playing catch up. In fact, they're usually the pioneers.
  • In the 997.1 turbo cars, we were the first and only to offer 700whp kits based on VTG turbos, all running GIAC software.
  • The 997.2 Turbo/S fastest cars still belong to GIAC. The GIAC "9 second tune" still sets the bar, with multiple cars running 9 second passes close to 140mph.
  • They were the first to offer 958 Cayenne software (and still the only company doing a proper flash in those models)
  • Same with the Panamera Turbo models. The first, and still one of the only ones doing a proper ECU flash.
  • They were the first to offer Macan S and Macan Turbo software, a year before any other tuner.
  • GIAC was the first to offer 991.1 Turbo software back in 2014. We've probably tuned 100 991.1 Turbo cars, from bolt-on packages to turbo upgraded cars running 700+ whp....ALL running with 100% reliability thanks to GIAC software.
  • First and so far the ONLY tuner to offer direct ECU software for the 991.2 Turbo S.
  • First and ONLY tuner to offer 991.2 Carrera S software.

So....playing catch up?

Old 04-25-2017, 09:38 PM
windblow will become famous soon enough
I really hate to have to remove the ECU and send it to GIAC for a flash/re-flash every time dealer done an ECU update. It costs money/time/effort to uninstall, mail, and reinstall the ECU with GIAC software. Cobb has a stellar reputation for incremental software updates which you can download and install in an instant, plus their pro-tuning community allows you to custom tune the software for even better gain. I have been running their custom flash tune on my 991.1 TTS and OTS tune on my Macan GTS and IMO, they're the best in the business if you can wait for their AP to come out. I would have considered GIAC if they would come out with a handheld.

Last edited by windblow; 04-25-2017 at 09:42 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:52 AM
Former Vendor
The difference is Cobb offers a hand held OBD-II flash solution and GIAC is doing bench flashing so it's way easier to come to market first. That doesn't mean it's better and you'll notice whenever Cobb hits the platform GIAC basically disappears.

We'll see what happens. It's kind of hard to claim GIAC is the first with a tune when literally nobody is running it and they can't even tune a base 991.2.

Also, I read an article recently where Cobb took every 991.2 Turbo performance record from GIAC...
Not really looking to make this a GIAC vs Cobb thread, as they both have their merits. It's clear that you're a big fan of Cobb, so obviously nothing I say is going to change your mind.

There's a very clear reason for why GIAC requires ECU's to be sent in for flashing when they have a hot new release like this. However, I don't work directly for GIAC so it's not my place to get into details about their reasoning.

The base 991.2 Carrera is already tuned. It's in the testing stages right now and should be ready for release shortly. Since releasing the Carrera S software, we've tuned about 8 cars here in house, with at least another 15-20 done by our Champion sub-dealers around the country. I don't know how many have been tuned by other GIAC direct dealers around the world, but I'm sure it's quite a few.

Do you have a copy of this article? I wasn't aware that Cobb offered 991.2 software yet. That's exciting news for sure!

Old 04-26-2017, 08:12 AM
Originally Posted by Tom@Champion
Not really looking to make this a GIAC vs Cobb thread, as they both have their merits. It's clear that you're a big fan of Cobb, so obviously nothing I say is going to change your mind.

There's a very clear reason for why GIAC requires ECU's to be sent in for flashing when they have a hot new release like this. However, I don't work directly for GIAC so it's not my place to get into details about their reasoning.

The base 991.2 Carrera is already tuned. It's in the testing stages right now and should be ready for release shortly. Since releasing the Carrera S software, we've tuned about 8 cars here in house, with at least another 15-20 done by our Champion sub-dealers around the country. I don't know how many have been tuned by other GIAC direct dealers around the world, but I'm sure it's quite a few.

Do you have a copy of this article? I wasn't aware that Cobb offered 991.2 software yet. That's exciting news for sure!
Tom, Can I go to any Champion location to have a GIAC tune done on my 991.2 C4S or do I need to mail my ecu directly to GIAC?

Old 04-26-2017, 08:49 AM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Sig Sauer
Tom, Can I go to any Champion location to have a GIAC tune done on my 991.2 C4S or do I need to mail my ecu directly to GIAC?
Yes and yes. You can take it to any Champion or GIAC dealer who can facilitate the process for you. However, that dealer will need to send the ECU to GIAC for flashing. The turnaround is 1 day so if they ship it overnight to GIAC, they'd normally have it back the following day.

Where are you in the Northeast? I can help find the right place for you.

Old 04-26-2017, 10:28 AM
Makes sense. New Hampshire

Old 04-27-2017, 12:24 PM
Former Vendor
Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by John McLane
Any news on the tune for the base model? Maybe some turbo upgrades...
Well... We have some programming in the works.

Facebook Post

Old 04-27-2017, 12:30 PM
John McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Seth@GIAC

Facebook Post
Let me know if you need beta testers...

Old 04-27-2017, 01:33 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Seth@GIAC

Well there we go...

Old 05-01-2017, 07:40 AM
Former Vendor
I'm a fan of performance.

It looks like GIAC is making strides with the base car finally although no numbers still.

I was more addressing your comment that GIAC is ahead of the curve when it is not an apples to apples comparison as a bench flash vs. OBD-II flashing is completely different. Obviously one will take longer than the other.
The car is on their dyno being dialed in. I'm sure they'll share the numbers as soon as they can.

OBDII flashing and bench flashing are really not all that different. If you can do one, you can generally do the other. Ability and desire, however, are not always the same.

Old 05-06-2017, 05:45 AM
They are very different. I'm not sure how anyone can make this comment who knows the cars.

Plenty of tuners can bench flash the new Infineon tri-core BMW ECU's but nobody can do OBD-II flashing until the ECU is physically removed and unlocked.

That is what I am highlighting here as far as the difference between GIAC and Cobb's approaches. Both obviously have merits but they are different.

It has nothing to do with desire but everything to do with reality.

Regardless, I'm very close to GIAC so if they want to flash a 991.2 C2 I'm game...
I just did a GIAC tune in my 991.2 C4S and all I have to say is Wow! Full review coming in a few days...

Old 05-06-2017, 06:22 AM
solipsistik is an unknown quantity at this point
I need one for my Turbo S.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.