Residual value of a 991.1 Base and S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 11:44 PM
coupedncal is on a distinguished road
Residual value of a 991.1 Base and S

I will be in the market for a CPO or a used 991.1 Base in the next few months and I was wondering if the current lease owners could share their residual values of say a 2014/2015 model year base. Please list both the MSRP and the residual value (or %). I fully understand the price will be dictated by the market forces but I am hoping Porsche has done their math and their residuals are somewhat in the ballpark of where the value will be. My current BMW has an inflated residual value so my current logic will not apply for my own car.

Last edited by coupedncal; 04-01-2017 at 12:12 PM.
Old 04-01-2017, 12:11 PM
Any info on this please? There should be lots of folks with leases on 2014 and 2015 model year 991.1 over the last couple of years. Most two and three year leases should be sub 65% residuals but more info on the residual values would be appreciated. Again, looking for market values for say a base 991.1 model year 2014 or 2015 later this summer.

Old 04-03-2017, 08:43 AM
grover432 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by coupedncal
Any info on this please? There should be lots of folks with leases on 2014 and 2015 model year 991.1 over the last couple of years. Most two and three year leases should be sub 65% residuals but more info on the residual values would be appreciated. Again, looking for market values for say a base 991.1 model year 2014 or 2015 later this summer.
There is a big difference between a 2 and 3 year lease residual. I don't have a 2014, but I'm looking at leasing a 2017 C4. The residual for a 36 month 10,000/year lease in Q1 (January to March) was 59% in Canada. A C2 was 2% higher. I expect Q2 will drop a couple of points.

But residual values and market values are 2 different things. For example, in tighter dealer allocation markets, new cars are hard to find and dealers sell them closer to MSRP. When cars get traded in, the dealer will value the car at more than the residual value, terming this less "equity" and then put that "equity" towards a new lease or purchase. The car then goes on the dealer's lot at an inflated value and in the right market sells.

My local dealer took in a nicely equipped 2014 C4 (17,000 miles) that probably had an original MSRP of $130,000 CAD. They were asking $100,000 for the car and it was only on the lot for a week so I'm assuming it sold close to the asking. The residual on that car was probably $70,000.

I think the better way to go about this is to use some of the US car valuation tools and sales history tools to try and figure out what a car, equipped the way you want it has been selling for.

Old 04-03-2017, 11:52 PM
Originally Posted by grover432
My local dealer took in a nicely equipped 2014 C4 (17,000 miles) that probably had an original MSRP of $130,000 CAD. They were asking $100,000 for the car and it was only on the lot for a week so I'm assuming it sold close to the asking. The residual on that car was probably $70,000.

I think the better way to go about this is to use some of the US car valuation tools and sales history tools to try and figure out what a car, equipped the way you want it has been selling for.
You have offered an interesting take on this used car pricing situation. This means most lease returns should have some equity and this will surely send more business back to Porsche as most lease owners end up leasing another car from Porsche. My best bet is to look at private party sales to ascertain the market for my target model year.

Old 04-04-2017, 08:10 AM
grover432 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by coupedncal
You have offered an interesting take on this used car pricing situation. This means most lease returns should have some equity and this will surely send more business back to Porsche as most lease owners end up leasing another car from Porsche. My best bet is to look at private party sales to ascertain the market for my target model year.
Who knows, maybe this is the story the dealer spins to make it seem like ownership costs are lower than they seem for a lease customer. It does help drive more business back to the selling dealer and gets them another car to sell (used) with a healthy markup. It is one reason why in Canada, dealers try not to sell new cars out of their market and service area.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.