993 Turbo This community is about the last air cooled twin turbocharged Porsche 911. Model year 1996 - 1997. Also inclusive in this forum is talk on the final 182 Porsche 911 Turbos built in 1997 known as the Turbo S.

Build is almost done. Maybe two weeks left

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 10:05 PM
carmstrongLS1 is a glorious beacon of lightcarmstrongLS1 is a glorious beacon of lightcarmstrongLS1 is a glorious beacon of lightcarmstrongLS1 is a glorious beacon of lightcarmstrongLS1 is a glorious beacon of light
displacement

Thats why I have a 496 ci EFI big block in my chevy truck

Old 04-29-2012, 08:37 AM
lopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to behold
sounds like a toy towing monster

Old 04-29-2012, 08:43 AM
carmstrongLS1 is a glorious beacon of lightcarmstrongLS1 is a glorious beacon of lightcarmstrongLS1 is a glorious beacon of lightcarmstrongLS1 is a glorious beacon of lightcarmstrongLS1 is a glorious beacon of light
toy hauler

Originally Posted by lopro
sounds like a toy towing monster
Yup, that's the idea. But in the two years I've been restoring it, gas had nearly doubled. It is getting polar silver painted to match the 993 too. Motor makes a little over 500 hp. But over 600 lb ft of torque. It's a 1985 chevy C20. I put that project aside the past recent few months to finish the 993.

The guy at the paint shop was pretty shocked when we asked for the paint code. It was funny.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:08 PM
updated today

turbos on.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:50 AM
Al Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by lopro
no replacement for displacement...none
Boost.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:52 AM
Al Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by carmstrongLS1
But I really want to see how far I can take a 3.6, unless you already know the answer Al... But I would rather go and try for 4.0litres when I make the jump in displacement. Advice, thoughts, comments... Please.
Not sure if there is a 4.0L conversion available with easy access to replacement parts for the air-cooled, SOHC motor.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:40 AM
lopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Al Pettee
Boost.

Haha I like this post very much. Nice

Old 05-04-2012, 12:14 PM
Sly Tuna is on a distinguished road
*****in.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:00 PM
ho hum... This part of the build is wearing me out...

Originally Posted by Al Pettee
Not sure if there is a 4.0L conversion available with easy access to replacement parts for the air-cooled, SOHC motor.
Al, I need some advice on a clutch, What are you running. Seems to have all of the clutch tuners running for a loop when we say 993.

This time wasting, nickel and diming, last stage and we need a good clutch.

I spoke with the guys at andial today. Gave them a peek at the build sheet in the beginning of the post, They said the only thing they had was a track car setup that would suffice. That setup he said was not streetable.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:33 PM
Al, I need some advice on a clutch, What are you running. Seems to have all of the clutch tuners running for a loop when we say 993.

This time wasting, nickel and diming, last stage and we need a good clutch.

I spoke with the guys at andial today. Gave them a peek at the build sheet in the beginning of the post, They said the only thing they had was a track car setup that would suffice. That setup he said was not streetable.
Chris,

Mine is a hybrid setup with a 964 Euro RSR single mass flywheel mated to an uprated Sachs 964 Euro RS clutch disc with a Sachs 993 pressure plate, assembled by Protosport in NJ-see their item sheet on the attachment. It is rated to handle well north of 650 lb-ft and hasn't slipped in 30,000 miles, including 50 track days at Watkins Glen. I would ask Todd at Protomotive where you could source the hardware if your installer can't. And my setup is very streetable-it literally feels no different than stock. John and Paul at Protosport simply do great work. The other option is triple carbon.

Al

Attached Images  
Old 05-09-2012, 05:01 PM
Todd

I spoke with Todd, he sourced everything and its on the way. He said we are going to go with an RSR Lightweight flywheel and a sachs 764 997.2 GT2 RS disc/slave setup. Right now he has it in a few cars that are recent builds. Just like you said it is a hybrid build of matching dimensionally porsche parts. They do after all... Build race cars This setup is currently holding 970 wtq in one of his cars that he built this year

New news is that we are going to replace all the brakes and the entire steering rack assembly. The crappy part is that the seals aren't available separately. Being that I am now in the oil and gas industry I think I will try to source cross referenced parts and attempt to rebuild it on the side to see if I can have a spare or get it good to pass on to a needy person.

One thing after another but I put a cap on this project today for this year. Gotta get this thing on the road sooner that later.

Next year though... BIG POWER!!!!!!!!!! TEXAS MILE!!!!!!!!! TEXAS HALF MILE!!!!!!!! I need it in my life

Old 05-09-2012, 06:51 PM
I spoke with Todd, he sourced everything and its on the way. He said we are going to go with an RSR Lightweight flywheel and a sachs 764 997.2 GT2 RS disc/slave setup. Right now he has it in a few cars that are recent builds. Just like you said it is a hybrid build of matching dimensionally porsche parts. They do after all... Build race cars This setup is currently holding 970 wtq in one of his cars that he built this year
You'll love it.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:52 PM
...One thing after another but I put a cap on this project today for this year.
Famous last words....

Old 05-09-2012, 07:11 PM
...New news is that we are going to replace all the brakes and the entire steering rack assembly. The crappy part is that the seals aren't available separately.
I've already replaced my steering rack once (we got a used one re-tooled with good seals), this is another known 993 "wear item."

I've also gone from stock brakes ("The Big Reds") next to a Brembo clubsport brake kit, but now to the 997GT3TRSR Cup car brakes, since anytime you up the power, you definitely should match the braking system to it.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:13 PM
steering rack...

Where did you get the used one?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Build is almost done. Maybe two weeks left