996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Guys HELP!!! My car turns off when I press the gas...

Old 10-06-2007, 01:04 AM
Banned
USCTrojanMan29 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Guys HELP!!! My car turns off when I press the gas...

So here's the situation...my car is an 02 with about 33,000 miles on the clock. For the past 8 weeks or so the car was sitting around at a bodyshop getting some work done (GT2 wing/decklid, etc). I got the car freshened up with new synthetic brake fluid, oil, and new brakes earlier today at an indy shop in Vegas. I was driving on I-15 South to the California Speedway BMW CCA DE event when my car started slowing down like I let off the gas about 20 miles outside of Vegas. I keep tagging the gas but nothing happened and then the car shut off and I pulled off to the right shoulder. I waited a few minutes...the car fired right up. However within about a minute the idle revs were getting rough (down to like 200-400 rpms) and then the car shut off. I turned it on again and this time I tapped the gas and as soon as I tapped the gas the car turned off. I tried it a few more time until the last time when the car turned over but didnt want to start. I did not get any lights on the dash which makes me think that it's not a bad MAF. I had the car towed back to the indy shop in Vegas and they'll check on it on Monday. I'm thinking maybe the fuel pump went out, but I'm not sure...what do you guys think the problem may be???

Old 10-06-2007, 09:08 AM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
I had the exact same symptoms a while back. So first...it is most likely fuel related...mine was a ruptured fuel line...the pump just pumped the gas back into the tank.

Old 10-06-2007, 10:46 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by wross996TT
I had the exact same symptoms a while back. So first...it is most likely fuel related...mine was a ruptured fuel line...the pump just pumped the gas back into the tank.
Yeah, I saw your thread about it. So the problem was a ruptured fuel line and not a bad fuel pump? The funny thing with my car is that it drove for about 30 miles just fine and then just crapped out on me. I figured it most have something to do with the fuel when the 3-4 times that I got it started, when I tapped the gas pedal the car would die with no lights or anything. The no lights make me think that it wasn't the MAF. I'll for sure have them check to see if the fuel pump is working.

Old 10-06-2007, 12:19 PM
LiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond repute
I had the same problem 2x with my car as well, also an '02 with close to 30k on the clock. Its been 1000 miles since the 2nd time, I am hoping that it was a permanent fix. Both times it was said to either be the fuel pump or a fuel line.

Old 10-06-2007, 01:04 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Many shops think it is the fuel pump, but make sure they check the lines...in my case they replaced the fuel pump, and then they found the ruptured line...all covered under warranty.

Old 10-06-2007, 01:29 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by wross996TT
Many shops think it is the fuel pump, but make sure they check the lines...in my case they replaced the fuel pump, and then they found the ruptured line...all covered under warranty.
Will do. Btw, what would cause the fuel lines to rupture (I'm only running at Stage 2)? Since my car isn't under warrant, should I have them upgrade the fuel lines using something stronger? I was thinking of upgrading to the GT2 fuel pump and replace the fuel filter.

Old 10-06-2007, 07:27 PM
Highhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to behold
you sure you didnt blow a hose off?

S

Old 10-06-2007, 07:49 PM
carendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the rough
mine acted nearly the same way w/ a bad fuel filter. new plugs, new filter and i was as good as new.

exact symptoms that day:
- car started dying when i pushed in clutch
- it would immediately re-start, take off, die coming to a stop b/c of clutch
- after 3 miles or so, it idled very roughly and had a hard time under 2000rpm
- rev it high, try to get to a parking lot, and it wouldn't run under 4500rpm or so, cracking & popping; anything less and it would die

always check the easy stuff first.

- chuck

Old 10-06-2007, 08:11 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
fuel pick up in tank. or fp.

Old 10-06-2007, 08:18 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by USCTrojanMan29
So here's the situation...my car is an 02 with about 33,000 miles on the clock. For the past 8 weeks or so the car was sitting around at a bodyshop getting some work done (GT2 wing/decklid, etc). I got the car freshened up with new synthetic brake fluid, oil, and new brakes earlier today at an indy shop in Vegas. I was driving on I-15 South to the California Speedway BMW CCA DE event when my car started slowing down like I let off the gas about 20 miles outside of Vegas. I keep tagging the gas but nothing happened and then the car shut off and I pulled off to the right shoulder. I waited a few minutes...the car fired right up. However within about a minute the idle revs were getting rough (down to like 200-400 rpms) and then the car shut off. I turned it on again and this time I tapped the gas and as soon as I tapped the gas the car turned off. I tried it a few more time until the last time when the car turned over but didnt want to start. I did not get any lights on the dash which makes me think that it's not a bad MAF. I had the car towed back to the indy shop in Vegas and they'll check on it on Monday. I'm thinking maybe the fuel pump went out, but I'm not sure...what do you guys think the problem may be???
My first thought was fuel pump or fuel line but it could also be you ran out of gas.This happened to me and a couple of other members when the float hung up in the tank or the car is reflashed.put in 5 gallons to be sure .Just a thought.Joe.

Old 10-06-2007, 09:17 PM
Seattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond repute
I had the same thing happen on my car..., and its the battery. My car was sitting for awhile not being driven. Got into it, started it...., drove it a bit and then it died. What happens is that when the battery has a low charge, the computer shuts off the car.

I know it sounds wierd, but I think its your battery man especially knowing that its been sitting in a shop for awhile. Let me know if I'm right, cause thats a simple fix!

Good luck,

Bojan

Old 10-06-2007, 11:37 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by joetwint
My first thought was fuel pump or fuel line but it could also be you ran out of gas.This happened to me and a couple of other members when the float hung up in the tank or the car is reflashed.put in 5 gallons to be sure .Just a thought.Joe.
I don't think I ran out of Gas because I had almost a full tank when I dropped it off at the bodyshop and the car was showing that I had over 250 miles left. From my research of threads on here my guess that it's either the fuel pump or a rupurted fuel line.

Old 10-06-2007, 11:42 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Seattle996
I had the same thing happen on my car..., and its the battery. My car was sitting for awhile not being driven. Got into it, started it...., drove it a bit and then it died. What happens is that when the battery has a low charge, the computer shuts off the car.

I know it sounds wierd, but I think its your battery man especially knowing that its been sitting in a shop for awhile. Let me know if I'm right, cause thats a simple fix!

Good luck,

Bojan
Very interesting...when your car shut off where all the lights still working??? My headlights, interior lights, and hazard lights were working fine even though I couldn't start the car. I'm gonna try swamping out the battery in my dad's car and see if that does it at least to eliminate that it's not the battery.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:25 PM
Banned
I got word from the shop that the car had plenty of gas and the battery is OK. They will clear the fuel lines out and replace my OEM fuel pump with a Bosche 044 fuel pump (same one as used on the GT2) and will replace OEM fuel filter. Hopefully that should fix things.