996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Decklid plastic part number sought...for second snorkel operation.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 07:59 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Decklid plastic part number sought...for second snorkel operation.

Yep, said I would stay off for a bit. Couldn't do it as I have a project in mind that I really want to do.

The part (and if you have one) I am after is the plastic liner of the stock 996TT rear decklid (the part to which the emissions system sticker is attached).

The plan is to keep the original part just in case and get a new part for "surgery" to the decklid. I am looking for used or new, it can be salvage if not too horrible looking. It is going to be put under the knife!

Thank you in advance.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:23 AM
Seal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to behold
Part No. for the 996 TT deklid liner is 996 512 543 00
It's $214.25 new from Pelican.

Interestingly, the GT2 part No (which may already have the extra cut out) is
996 512 543 30 (this one costs $284.50).
Does someone with a real GT2 want to post a pick of their decklid shroud?

Good luck! Truce?

Old 07-03-2008, 09:04 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks!!

Here is the plan. I have a Vivid airbox. It is nice and what Dan promised. (alu).

I want the second snorkel as Dixie's numbers are very suggestive of more power and lower temps being available with another snorkel. To do it, I want to keep the original part "virgin" in case I screw things up completely.

My main concern is rain. I have been told that it is not a big deal and if you look at the unit Fabspeed sells, I wonder if I am just being a silly person. Dixie had a trough (sp?) made up into his unit(s) and I plan to do the same thing.

The car is my everyday car...rain or shine.

Again, thank you very much. I appreciate your help and wisdom here and elsewhere, and apologize for any errors I made. Very truce!

EDIT: Part ordered. Having the number was great. No big deal on if a hole or not, so I went "cheapest"...the gt2 might not fit....so I went stock number. Again, thanks!

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 07-03-2008 at 09:28 AM.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:42 AM
orlando333 will become famous soon enough
JCB

I don't think there will be an issue with rain.

I have the EVO V-Flow (which I may swap out for the the Vivid Intake recently sent to me by Dan) and the air filter is completely exposed in the engine compartment. In fact, if you lived in California, I would let test out the V-Flow for free.

Old 07-03-2008, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by orlando333
JCB

I don't think there will be an issue with rain.

I have the EVO V-Flow (which I may swap out for the the Vivid Intake recently sent to me by Dan) and the air filter is completely exposed in the engine compartment. In fact, if you lived in California, I would let test out the V-Flow for free.

Thanks. I plan to cut the plastic the vflow seals against directly above it...so in essence you could "see" the filter from the decklid grill with ease after I am done....so without the second snorkel I am not worried at all about rain. With it, I am a bit concerned. I have the pictured unit* in hand and want to make it monsoon proof with a snorkel as in the picture. Rain water is now "right over" the filter and no longer on the far right side. I would never be able to drive around with the fabspeed on my car because I'd be worried about water all the time...just me. I am sure it is ok, but the design and I are just not psychologically compatible.

I'll put a trough in with a drilled hole and go from there. I suppose I could always carry two box covers with me and if a HUGE storm came up I could stop and either wait it out or switch. Dan's design is very flexible with tinkering.

If I lived in CA, I would take you up on your offer. Right now, Dan's alu box is working very well indeed.

*Dan takes care of his customers. I did the full stage III suspension with front sway, links, and we had fun with the shipping -> the box it was sent in breaking open and all the sway links fell out AP and JIC.... I paid full retail per his website for all of that. Not his fault. Not really his problem, but he took care of it and sent all new parts to me overnight as did JIC.

To make up to me for the chaos from the shipping and how it screwed up a DE weekend....on his own initiative.... he found a used alu airbox (those that know me know I am always looking for a deal). I am working with that now to do the snorkel job.

My impressions to date on the alu box is that it is super. The best part: I spent the time installing it having my 7yo son do the work with me...most of it. The only thing he was not allowed to touch was the MAF. He used sockets, some elbow grease, and now understands a bit more about how cars work. He loved it. I took the install at about 1/4 speed on purpose to enjoy the process. Highly recommend this to anyone!

Attached Images  

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 07-03-2008 at 12:24 PM.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:06 PM
jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !
The part is actually fiberglass of some sort, and a real mess to work with. Go pick up a salvage one and save yourself some $ - you won't want to change it back (unless you want to keep one for cores when you start making them for everyone).

The GT2 decklid is completely different, as is the 997TT/GT2.

Rain is not a big deal, I don't care what anyone says. It rains here all the time, and a few drops even if they get in won't hydrolock your motor. No need to take any crazy precautions.

I suggest using the 997TT 2nd snorkel as well since the fit is just about perfect, and TAKE YOUR TIME (I know you will).

Can't wait to see how it turns out, and good luck!

(The OG)