996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Help!!! Diagnose engine idle noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 08:48 PM
spoonito is on a distinguished road
Help!!! Diagnose engine idle noise

Ok, a couple weeks ago I noticed that it was making some different/weird noises at idle when fully warmed up. It doesn't do it all the time. Maybe 3-4 times in the past 2.5 weeks. It only does it when warmed up (and not always). Oil is roughly 4 months old but topped off with new oil every so often (I travel alot so the car sits for some time). I checked to make sure that the oil wasn't low (according to the computer). Car otherwise seems to drive fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXwRL-U083c

Old 09-18-2008, 08:51 PM
colorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond repute
does it go away when you rev it up??

Old 09-18-2008, 09:20 PM
Colorinc, thanks for the reply. Yes when you rev a little it goes away... Comes back at idle. Goes away the next time I drive (after completely cooled down and sitting overnight). As previously stated only happened 3-4 time in past 2.5 weeks.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:28 PM
colorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond repute
they all tick/rattle a little then it goes away when you bring it off idle... these engines are pretty bullet proof unless you crank the boost and run pump gas....IMO nothing to worry about... could be a chain tensioner making some noise i have listed to a ton of these things and they all make some sort of sound... some worse than others.. relax and enjoy

tim

Old 09-18-2008, 09:50 PM
Sweet... Got me worried because it didn't do it previously, and it seems pretty loud.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:57 PM
keep an eye(ear) on it if it changes frequency or gets louder you may want to get it checked out

tim

Old 09-18-2008, 10:43 PM
ezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond repute
It sounds like a flapping noise and it sounds rotational rather than a clicking. I would check belts for any fraying. Maybe part of the belt is flapping arround.

Old 09-19-2008, 06:11 AM
Just incase no one caught it... it sounds louder around the wheel wells and not from directly behand car if that maks a difference...

Old 09-19-2008, 07:52 AM
Kaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud of
Stupid to answer from a computer which doesn't have audio but anyway, check out if the exhaust system is properly installed. One of the mufflers might be only a tiny bit loose and thus making the sound.

Old 09-19-2008, 11:17 AM
HokuLina is on a distinguished road
Sounds like a frayed belt? Let us know if you learn more....curious. G/L!

Old 09-19-2008, 04:33 PM
turbo turbo is on a distinguished road
i have the same noise, i disconnected the belt and it still has the same noise. is it possible the flywheel is making that tinny sound,chain tensioner?,or what do you think? bring it above idle it seems to go away.... thanks

Old 09-19-2008, 05:16 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Take a garden hose and cut a foot or more ... place one end next to ur ear and the other on the car.... you find it in no time....

it sounds like a clutch... did u ever put in a aftermarket clutch? what happens when you predd the clutch pedal all the way to the floor?

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 09-19-2008, 05:22 PM
turbo turbo is on a distinguished road
i did that with the hose,it sounds like it is coming from the case. no new clutch. no rattle noise from exhaust.

Old 09-19-2008, 06:31 PM
i have been through this with my local dealer i brought it in and there hapend to be 2 other 996tt there and they all bade the same sound at idle a rattle that goes away just off idle 1500rpm's or so... the ptech seemed to think it was chain tensioner noise.... anyways its been 5000 miles and it still rattles and runs strong as ever...

Old 09-19-2008, 11:17 PM
As far as I know (bought it used) there is only the Fabspeed exhaust, and I added the AP carbon fiber intake that Vivid was offering. Noise seems to be louder in the wheel well area and you can hear that in the video (I know its at night but you can kind of make out the car). I want to swap on a few parts but am hesitant as if there is an issue with the motor/clutch/etc. then adding performance parts won't help...

BTW thanks all for your help!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help!!! Diagnose engine idle noise