996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

100 Cell Cats and smog test

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 06:46 PM
smistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy 100 Cell Cats and smog test

the car failed Calif smog test . Had a used Remus with 100 cell cats and about 15K miles on the exhaust. Swapped the factory stock back on and it passed with flying colors.

Does anyone know what the usual life span of aftermarket 100 cell cats? Anyway to refurb the cats?

I really miss the sound and performance of the Remus....

Old 08-18-2007, 12:03 AM
Former Vendor
Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !
# 1 an aftermarket exhaust wont pass visual .
If you get lucky enough and smog guy doesnt know what he is looking at then you can get away with it.

#2 you will need a minimum 200 cell catalyst to pass california emissions.

Old 08-18-2007, 12:03 AM
Former Vendor
Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !
# 1 an aftermarket exhaust wont pass visual .
If you get lucky enough and smog guy doesnt know what he is looking at then you can get away with it.

#2 you will need a minimum 200 cell catalyst to pass california emissions.

#3 100 cell catalyst are not efficient enough to pass smog requirments and most will trigger a cel light.

Old 08-18-2007, 01:36 AM
smistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond repute
passed visual without any problems.

Funny thing is that my friend who has the same exhaust, perhaps fewer miles, passed ok without problems!

do you have any idea how many miles 200 cel cats are good for? I'm wondering if running a sport exhaust means ponying up $2-4K dollars every few years to pass smog

Old 08-18-2007, 03:37 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by smistry007
I'm wondering if running a sport exhaust means ponying up $2-4K dollars every few years to pass smog
Why dont u switch back to ur stock exhaust for the smog test... heck u can probably change it by urself in the garage... and it will not cost u a dollar.

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 08-18-2007, 06:09 AM
996TTSCAB is on a distinguished road
What is the actual difference as far as the performence go between the 100 Cell vs. 200 Cell? If there is not much of a difference I would go with 200 Cell when I am ready. Thanks...

Old 08-18-2007, 09:53 AM
9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute
Are you guys telling me that my Europipe is not going to pass Maryland emissions when it's due because it has 100 cell cats? Dude, that sucks. What am I going to have to do to get around that, replace my stock exhaust just to go through emissions? I think my ECU may have also had the readiness codes and OC sensors disconnected when I had it flashed. The day of the emission test should be good for a couple of laughs.

Old 08-18-2007, 02:13 PM
porschedude996T is just really niceporschedude996T is just really niceporschedude996T is just really niceporschedude996T is just really niceporschedude996T is just really nice
Originally Posted by 9Eleven
Are you guys telling me that my Europipe is not going to pass Maryland emissions when it's due because it has 100 cell cats? Dude, that sucks. What am I going to have to do to get around that, replace my stock exhaust just to go through emissions? I think my ECU may have also had the readiness codes and OC sensors disconnected when I had it flashed. The day of the emission test should be good for a couple of laughs.
Same here, I should receive my Europipe Stage 2 Loud in about 4-6 weeks and I live in CA. Does this mean that I will need to change out my stock muffler every two years to pass my smog tests?

Last edited by porschedude996T; 08-18-2007 at 04:19 PM.
Old 08-18-2007, 03:24 PM
paneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to behold
FWIW I had no problem passing with my RUF exhaust with 100 cell cats.

Old 08-18-2007, 04:20 PM
porschedude996T is just really niceporschedude996T is just really niceporschedude996T is just really niceporschedude996T is just really niceporschedude996T is just really nice
Thanks Kevin, that makes sense. It is all about temperature and surface area...

Old 08-18-2007, 04:53 PM
9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by porschedude996T
Same here, I should receive my Europipe Stage 2 Loud in about 4-6 weeks and I live in CA. Does this mean that I will need to change out my stock muffler every two years to pass my smog tests?
I just installed the quiet version 3 weeks ago. You are going to love your new exhaust. It is a work of art, fit and finish is perfect. Installed like a perfectly tailored suit. The sound is perfect and the gains in performance were a nice surprise. It spools up faster with a lot less lag, instant 1 bar and 1.1 after 4000 rpm.

Old 11-08-2008, 10:07 PM
SSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond repute
I have Europipe Loud (100 cell cat) with about 10k miles on it. Just passed Cali SMOG with flying colors well below average of what other cars get. Just a quick FYI.

Old 11-08-2008, 10:20 PM
FlyYellow will become famous soon enoughFlyYellow will become famous soon enough
my europipe passed fine with 100 cell cats...

Old 11-08-2008, 10:25 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Yes, it's all about SA, 100 vs 200 is meaningless. EP's other advantage is that they actually look OEM. As for the OP, I'd just swap the stockers on/off every two years to pass.

Old 11-09-2008, 02:45 AM
dixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to all
You will never have problems with the 100 cell cat's from Europipe because they are top quality,I have it for several years now and never a problem with a smog test.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 100 Cell Cats and smog test