Go Back   6speedonline.com Forums > Porsche (Present) > 996 Turbo / GT2
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.
Sponsored By Vivid Racing

DIY: Changing parking light to LED

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2009, 07:35 PM

M32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to M32
DIY: Changing parking light to LED

As some of you know, I added a set of LED's to my TA front and the little halogen parking light was really throwing the look off so I decided to change that (and the headlight) to LED.

Before

Click the image to open in full size.

First, I had a pretty hard time trying to "decipher" what the bulb size/type is based on the porsche manual. The parking light bulb is small (size of a wedge) and base of 1156 bulbs

On the base of the stock bulb, note the prongs are at 9 o'clock and 2 o' clock. I search for a few hours to try to find a small LED bulb with the prongs like that but was unsuccessful.

I browsed through www.superbrightleds.com and was able to find a bulb that had the same size except for the prongs. (12 o clock and 6 o clock)

I bought two of each (4 led and 1 led). 4 LED

1 LED

I ended up clipping off one of the prongs and it works perfect.

Here's a comparison on their brightness.

1 LED

DIY: Removing stock spoiler
DIY: LED Parking lights

Last edited by M32; 01-07-2009 at 07:39 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:36 PM

M32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant future
4 LED

The color is not an exact match but it's definitely better than the halogen.

I also installed 8000k bulbs to see how they compare (obviously too blue/purple)

and a pic of how bright the LEDs are

Edwin

Old 01-07-2009, 08:02 PM

ExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond repute
it is official, you are the LED DIY master
Old 01-07-2009, 10:43 PM

adam699 has a reputation beyond reputeadam699 has a reputation beyond reputeadam699 has a reputation beyond reputeadam699 has a reputation beyond reputeadam699 has a reputation beyond reputeadam699 has a reputation beyond reputeadam699 has a reputation beyond reputeadam699 has a reputation beyond reputeadam699 has a reputation beyond reputeadam699 has a reputation beyond reputeadam699 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to adam699
Nice mod. COOL
Old 01-08-2009, 12:12 AM

LamboTT has a spectacular aura aboutLamboTT has a spectacular aura about
I did the same thing tonight and installed 8k headlights, parking lights with the same LED ones you have at 6 and 12 oclock...I didn't clip anything, just push hard and turn into place.

I also changed the front turn signal bulbs to LED's but now they blink super fast so I need to figure out how to fix that problem?????

I also tried to install a fog light HID get but I didn't do it because I couldn't figure out how to keep the H3 bulb to stay in place since the HID bulb has a longer backing that gets in the way...any one have a fix for this?
Old 01-08-2009, 12:43 AM
Former Vendor

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Ray
Another nice write up from Edwin! rep you up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundeffects View Post
I also changed the front turn signal bulbs to LED's but now they blink super fast so I need to figure out how to fix that problem?????
load resistors will fix, you can buy them from ebay or local electrical store
Old 01-08-2009, 02:32 AM

alex55 has a reputation beyond reputealex55 has a reputation beyond reputealex55 has a reputation beyond reputealex55 has a reputation beyond reputealex55 has a reputation beyond reputealex55 has a reputation beyond reputealex55 has a reputation beyond reputealex55 has a reputation beyond reputealex55 has a reputation beyond reputealex55 has a reputation beyond reputealex55 has a reputation beyond repute
you are the man !

starship turbo

LE: i enjoy all of your topics ! good job again !!

Last edited by alex55; 01-08-2009 at 02:43 AM.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:56 AM

ScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond repute
now time to to do some Rear light LED's

Old 01-08-2009, 05:29 AM

Imolas54 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Imolas54
are those the factory led unit you added to the bumper? if so how much were they

nice job

Thanks

T
Old 01-08-2009, 06:12 AM

dublinoh will become famous soon enoughdublinoh will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imolas54 View Post
are those the factory led unit you added to the bumper? if so how much were they

nice job

Thanks

T
It was a DIY check this link

POLL: My latest project - LEDs on a 996TT
Old 01-08-2009, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExclusiveTT View Post
it is official, you are the LED DIY master
Definitely not master... just messing around Thanks for the compliment though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundeffects View Post
I did the same thing tonight and installed 8k headlights, parking lights with the same LED ones you have at 6 and 12 oclock...I didn't clip anything, just push hard and turn into place.

I also tried to install a fog light HID get but I didn't do it because I couldn't figure out how to keep the H3 bulb to stay in place since the HID bulb has a longer backing that gets in the way...any one have a fix for this?

I thought about doing that too but I didn't want to damage anything. I'd rather damage the bulb than the socket. Glad you got it to work though. Did you get the lights from Superbrightleds.com?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
Another nice write up from Edwin! rep you up!

load resistors will fix, you can buy them from ebay or local electrical store
Ray's the man... know's his stuff Thanks for the rep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex55 View Post
you are the man !

starship turbo

LE: i enjoy all of your topics ! good job again !!
I am done with LEDs in the front. No more... it's almost getting to be too ricey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottKelly911 View Post
now time to to do some Rear light LED's
Scott, sorry but I'm not tackling that. Rear light LED's will need a lot of custom work and the rear lights are too expensive for me to mess up. LED license plate lights however......

Edwin

Last edited by M32; 01-08-2009 at 07:05 AM.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:12 AM

XLR82XS has a reputation beyond reputeXLR82XS has a reputation beyond reputeXLR82XS has a reputation beyond reputeXLR82XS has a reputation beyond reputeXLR82XS has a reputation beyond reputeXLR82XS has a reputation beyond reputeXLR82XS has a reputation beyond reputeXLR82XS has a reputation beyond reputeXLR82XS has a reputation beyond reputeXLR82XS has a reputation beyond reputeXLR82XS has a reputation beyond repute
I used the single LED 120 degree view angle bulbs in my 996 and they are way too dim. I found multiple LED (15-20) bulbs from superlumination.com that seem like they would do the job much better. I will continue the LED projects on the TT once it arrives.
Waiting for next acquisition....
Old 01-08-2009, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLR82XS View Post
I used the single LED 120 degree view angle bulbs in my 996 and they are way too dim. I found multiple LED (15-20) bulbs from superlumination.com that seem like they would do the job much better. I will continue the LED projects on the TT once it arrives.
Yes, please post pics of it when you are done. Btw, is that your mini moke? Awesome!

Edwin

Old 01-08-2009, 07:19 AM

XLR82XS has a reputation beyond reputeXLR82XS has a reputation beyond reputeXLR82XS has a reputation beyond reputeXLR82XS has a reputation beyond reputeXLR82XS has a reputation beyond reputeXLR82XS has a reputation beyond reputeXLR82XS has a reputation beyond reputeXLR82XS has a reputation beyond reputeXLR82XS has a reputation beyond reputeXLR82XS has a reputation beyond reputeXLR82XS has a reputation beyond repute
1967 Moke. All original except for color. They only came in white & green. We have a white one as well - (customers) We still have original brochures for them! They are truly awesome & get more attention driving around then a Veyron and/or Enzo.
Waiting for next acquisition....

Last edited by XLR82XS; 01-08-2009 at 07:25 AM.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLR82XS View Post
1967 Moke. All original except for color. They only came in white & green. We have a white one as well - (customers) We still have original brochures for them! They are truly awesome & get more attention driving around then a Veyron and/or Enzo.
Totally awesome! Are you on minimania?

Here's a pic of my true 66 cooper

Edwin

Old 01-08-2009, 07:25 AM

Tags
2000, 64132, 911, 996, arizona, bax9s, bulb, change, cooper, h6w, install, led, light, mini, parking, porsche, whp9