996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Hidden Display?

Old 07-30-2009, 05:31 PM
ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !
Question Hidden Display?

I saw a post on another forum where someone mentioned a hidden menu on the instrument cluster

This is what was posted.....

Press and hold the UP button then at the same time press and hold the RECIRC button in.

After 5 seconds or so of holding the buttons in the display changes to 1C.

To see the reading corresponding to 1C press the button on the climate control below the UP button (this is the button for directing air through the centre dash vents).

To move back to the 1C press that button again. To go to 2C, 3C, 4C etc etc press the + button on the temperature control (not the fan speed +).

To exit this mode press the AUTO button.
-----------------------------------------------------
0c - ERL
1c - Oil Temp
2c - Inside Temp - From the Sensor mounted in the Aspirator Assembly at the side of the Dash
3c - Outside Temp - From the Sensor inside the Air Inlet of the A/C Unit
4c - Outside Temp - From the Sensor in Front Grill of the Radiator. Data is fed to the Climatronic from the Instrument Cluster. When not moving, the Instrument Cluster OBC Temp Display retains it's last setting until moving. This is to prevent heat emanating from the Radiator affecting the Temp Sensor. The Climatronic uses the lower of the two values in determining Fresh-Air Temp.
5c - Outside Temp - matches OBC outside temp display
6c - Coolant Temp
7c - Footwell Discharge Temp
8c - Sun Sensor (dash top)
9c - Sun Sensor
10c- Passenger Compartment Fan Speed
11c- Passenger Compartment Fan Voltage
12c- Temperature Mix Flap Command (1=COLD, 100= HOT)
13c- Temperature Mix Flap Position
14c - Central Flap Command
15c - Central Flap Position
16c - Footwell/Defrost Flap Command
17c - Footwell/Defrost Flap Position
18c - Recirculation Valve Command (1=OFF, 100=RECIRC)
19c - Recirculation Valve Position (feedback)
20c - Vehicle Speed in kph, updates once per second. This is True Speed, not the Speed+Safety Margin displayed by the Speedometer.
21c - Engine RPM in hundreds, also updates once per second
22c - ?
23c - ?
24c - Sun Sensor, Exterior Lights Switch, and Panel Lights control (term.
58 & 58d voltage) - used for A/C Panel Display Illumination
25c - ?
26c - ?
27c - ?
28c - Fan Speed
29c - ?
30c - Engine Run Time in seconds (255max.) (=0Xff)
31c - Timing Counter
32c - Displays Test
33c - Software Version (usually 3.4)
34c - ?
35c - Outside Temp from Inlet Sensor (filtered)
36c - Temp

Does this mean anything to anyone?

Last edited by ant_8u; 07-31-2009 at 01:12 PM.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:15 PM
boca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really nice
did u try it?

Old 07-30-2009, 10:32 PM
Omarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant future
theres something like that for corvettes...so its a possibility it could work

Old 07-31-2009, 01:55 AM
Hedonistic is on a distinguished road
Whoa, what is this implying:

----------
20c - Vehicle Speed in kph, updates once per second. This is True Speed, not the Speed+Safety Margin displayed by the Speedometer.
----------

Is the digital speedo (the one I normally look at, not the dial) somehow "inflated". If so, by how much?

Old 07-31-2009, 04:53 AM
ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !
Haven't had chance to try it yet - I'll give it a go tonight

Has anyone else seen this before, if so do you know what the missing values represent?

The digital speedo you look at will read slightly higher than you're actually travelling
This is to ensure you're not speeding
ie, the speedo tells you you're doing 60 - you're really doing ~58
That way you're always slightly under the limit

I would assume that like most cars, changing the size of your tyres will also have an impact on the actual speed you are travelling compared to what the digital read out tells you

Old 07-31-2009, 10:16 AM
DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !
Excellent find, I havent heard of this before,very interesting.

Old 07-31-2009, 02:10 PM
Haven't managed to get it to work yet

I've done some searching and have found some info for VWs and Audis, but nothing for our Pcars

I'll keep at it though and see what I can do

Old 07-31-2009, 04:24 PM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
This listing actually came off this website that should be attributed to the original author:

http://www.cb-racing.com/boxster_AC.html

I have actually gone in and tested some of these codes and they do display the data as shown in the posting. I have not checked out all of them, only the ones that interested me.

Old 07-31-2009, 04:27 PM
fdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
This listing actually came off this website that should be attributed to the original author:

http://www.cb-racing.com/boxster_AC.html

I have actually gone in and tested some of these codes and they do display the data as shown in the posting. I have not checked out all of them, only the ones that interested me.
That is bad a$$. So you have done this on a 996 turbo?

Old 07-31-2009, 04:43 PM
Thanks Chuck - didn't know whether it was cool to link to other sites or not
I know some forums don't like that

Have you managed to get into the screens mentioned?
I'm still trying with no success at present

Old 07-31-2009, 06:09 PM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
unless the ADMIN here slaps my do-do...I believe you can link as long as you attribute to the original author and don't violate copyrite. In this instance, the author put it up for public display...and I gave him credit. Like I said, unless I've violated some protocol I am unaware of I believe I'm OK....

Now with regard to the second question....have I tried it? In all honesty, it's been some time since I tried it and can't recall if I tried it when I had my 99 996 C2....or the TT....but I would imagine that the OBC's are set up pretty much the same so that the engineers can replicate the testing without having different protocols for different cars and different years. It certainly won't hurt anything to try it. It will either display the numerical output or it won't. That's pretty profound huh?

***EDIT....I just went and re-read the instructions and it said it worked on boxters up to 2000, so it probably won't work on post 2000 cars....but there should be some sort of behind-the-scenes testing sequence that replicates this feature in the newer cars.

Last edited by Chuck Jones; 07-31-2009 at 06:12 PM.
Old 08-01-2009, 01:25 AM
skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !
All BMWs have a simular way to produce many useful info on dash or climate display...i suppose P cars should have an option too...I ll check it out to see...

Old 08-01-2009, 12:21 PM
Omarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant future
i just tried it on my 99, it works,....but what is it doing ? can u change anything?

Old 08-01-2009, 12:48 PM
It's only set up as a means of reading outputs, not as a means of changing system values....that would be disastrous to give the public the ability to mess around with the computer settings. Think of the headaches that would cause Porsche...I think you need either the PIWIS or the PST2 to be able to do more than simply look at readouts.

Old 08-01-2009, 01:52 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Thank you for posting!
jeff