996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Low Profile Car Lifts, Anyone got a lift in their Garage?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 09:48 AM
ShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to all
Originally Posted by rdoine
I had the LiftMaster "Jack Shaft" side mount opener installed in my garage. The tracks were re-routed so the door, when fully open, is only a few inches from the ceiling. My lift is a four post that I got from Greg Smith Equipment (gregsmithequipment.com) out of Indianapolis. Works great and I can park the Turbo on top and my wife's Carrera below. Get the "Bridge Jacks" so you can lift the car while on the ramps. And, have them convert the jacks to pneumatic so you can use your compressor to jack the car up rather than using your arms to pump the jacks! There isn't much you can't do on your car with this setup in a home environment. A friend and I installed two of them in our garages in one Saturday.
As mentioned that will not work for me as I have only an 8' ceiling in my garage, there is a bonus room above it. That only leaves 7' after the Garage door is open.

I need a LOW RISE or MID RISE Floor mounted Lift with no posts. But all the ones I have found have 53" Beds and the Porsche has 54" on center jacking points.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:57 AM
Seal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to behold
This is easily the coolest lift install I've ever seen (and what I plan to do when I move to the burbs).

It may solve your problems:
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=35433

Old 09-09-2009, 09:59 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
I had the LiftMaster "Jack Shaft" side mount opener installed in my garage. The tracks were re-routed so the door, when fully open, is only a few inches from the ceiling. My lift is a four post that I got from Greg Smith Equipment (gregsmithequipment.com) out of Indianapolis. Works great and I can park the Turbo on top and my wife's Carrera below. Get the "Bridge Jacks" so you can lift the car while on the ramps. And, have them convert the jacks to pneumatic so you can use your compressor to jack the car up rather than using your arms to pump the jacks! There isn't much you can't do on your car with this setup in a home environment. A friend and I installed two of them in our garages in one Saturday.

Pics? I was walking around my garage yesterday wondering if I could move the rails up like what you mention and add the side mount opener. Glad to know it can be done. I plan to add some garages in the future, but that's a couple of years away and I could use a lift now.

How tall is your ceiling?

Old 09-09-2009, 10:27 AM
rdoine is on a distinguished road
Four Post Lift

You're right, it can be tight in an 8 foot garage. Mine has 11 feet to the ceiling. My friend has an 8 foot ceiling and we put one in his. He can put his 930 up on it and still have a few inches to spare. It's tight but it works. With the pneumatic jacks and the variety of safety stops on the lift, he has been able to find safe levels to do everything he has wanted to do. Obviously, any type of SUV would be totally out of the question in his setup. Hope you find an acceptable solution. There's nothing like having your own lift. Even if all you're doing is polishing or waxing the car. Saves my back!!!

Old 09-09-2009, 10:29 AM
Four Post Lift

Oh, I don't get home till Saturday. I take some pics then and do a post.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:09 AM
Mad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant future
totally agree on putting a proper set up in the garage for those who have the motivation and option. Saves money, know the jobs done right, and it's so much fun!

I use a double platform alignment hydraulic scissor lift . Lift the car up from the wheels or sideskirts points. up on wheels is great when the work doesnt require taking off wheels. dont have an alignment facility hooked up to it but the flat platform allows for manual alignments.

it recesses into the ground fully flat which is great for low profile cars. Downside is cant park another car under it but looks like this garage wouldnt allow for that anyways.

Unfortunately the ground work is almost as expensive as the lift. This type of lift isnt the cheapest but over time, it makes more than it's money back.

Old 09-12-2009, 07:48 AM
Here's the first 5 pics. Shows the side mount door opener and the re-routed tracks. A side benefit is the cleaner look of the garage without the opener hanging in the middle of the ceiling.

Attached Images      
Old 09-12-2009, 07:51 AM
These three pics show the lift from the outside and the two "bridge jacks" with the arms extended fully and then fully retracted. Best thing I ever did. Made my 2 1/2 car garage into a 3 1/2 car garage.

Attached Images    
Old 09-12-2009, 08:51 AM
True enough. I think I could take the tranny out with this lift. Certainly not a motor. I can do anything related to suspension etc. My other thinking when I got the 4 post lift was that I wanted to store two cars during the winter in Michigan. And, I did not want my four wheels hanging on the suspension for months at a time. I guess you have to really think about how you're going to use a lift when you're doing your research. It's rather hard to undo once you have the lift in the garage.

Old 09-12-2009, 08:58 AM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Not sure if this will work for you but it is the one I am thinking about!

http://www.dannmar.com/dannmar-produ...ts/maxjax.html

Stacy

Old 09-12-2009, 09:13 AM
ShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to all
Originally Posted by justatoy
Not sure if this will work for you but it is the one I am thinking about!

http://www.dannmar.com/dannmar-produ...ts/maxjax.html

Stacy
Don't you worry about Balance on a 2 post system? Also hitting the doors on them.

I would like a flush mounted floor system of some sort that fits the 54" points on the Porsche. I am not opposed to sinking it into the floor a few inches.

Unfortunately I am really limited as I have a 2 car garage (as opposed to 2.5) and that 8' headroom is a limitter. I also want to roll around underneath so a conventional Scissor Lift is out.

Old 09-12-2009, 10:14 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider
Don't you worry about Balance on a 2 post system? Also hitting the doors on them.
In my thinking, a two post needs a carefully considered mount... The manufacturer really skips over this part. Yes, they have specific requirements, but they are based on assumptions on construction and installation that may or may not be true. Most garage floors are lightly engineered, have no steel, and are 'thick and thin'...

I would want a single pour, rebar reinforced concrete base, something on the order of a cubic yard or two, that is contiguous between the two posts- with mounting J-bolts tied to the rebar. In new construction, just dig a bit of a trench, set the steel, fixture the Jbolts, and fill the trench. Then when the floor is poured later the bolts will stick up. On an existing floor, I would concrete saw out a section, then dig down, undercutting the exisitng floor a bit. Steel then pour.

I just do not feel comfortable drilling holes and using expansion bolts on something like this...

Old 09-12-2009, 10:44 AM
Shok's situation is difficult. An 8' ceiling in a garage seems strange. That's awful low. I would expect 9 to 10 feet at least. He might still be able to use a 4 post lift but he would not be able to lift the vehicle very high at all. But, he could still get under it to do some work. For someone who makes a living as a technician, I would think a two post with adequate height would be a must. I think my four post is a nice compromise between extra vehicle storage and having the ability to work on the cars (at least to my limited level of capability). But, without adequate ceiling height it would be a serious compromise.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:32 AM
Shok's situation is difficult. An 8' ceiling in a garage seems strange. That's awful low. I would expect 9 to 10 feet at least. He might still be able to use a 4 post lift but he would not be able to lift the vehicle very high at all. But, he could still get under it to do some work. For someone who makes a living as a technician, I would think a two post with adequate height would be a must. I think my four post is a nice compromise between extra vehicle storage and having the ability to work on the cars (at least to my limited level of capability). But, without adequate ceiling height it would be a serious compromise.
It is 8' to the Garage door when it is up. The actual ceiling is 9'.

Old 09-12-2009, 12:29 PM
dtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider
It is 8' to the Garage door when it is up. The actual ceiling is 9'.
Then fix/reroute your garage door. THEN, with new measurements, decide which lift to get.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Low Profile Car Lifts, Anyone got a lift in their Garage?