996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Low Profile Car Lifts, Anyone got a lift in their Garage?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 09:46 AM
ShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to all
Low Profile Car Lifts, Anyone got a lift in their Garage?

I am looking for a lift for my TT. Clutch jobs etc. The problem I have is that I have a roll up garage door limiting height. Anyone got a similar problem?

For the price of a dealer clutch change you can get a lift and all the components and tools to replace the clutch yourself.

I found this lift which is a actually pit lift, but raises the car 26" which is probably enough for most jobs.

I would like to hear from anyone that has anything like this or has figured out a solution that does nmot involve axle stands.

http://www.carguygarage.com/6flmocarli.html

http://www.metro-lifts.com/p-6.htm

http://www.carguygarage.com/6lowricarli.html

Thanks

SWR

Last edited by ShokWaveRider; 08-15-2009 at 09:50 AM.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:16 AM
tscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to behold
go to the C6 forum on corvetteforum. Do a search. Lots of discussions.

Old 08-15-2009, 02:58 PM
ExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond repute
lookign for a 2post assymmetric low clearance lift myself. trying to decide between challenger, bendpak, and rotary at this time. Dont have a huge budget, but I dont want a lift that will fail. I think most of these companies have an option for stage 3 (or low clearance) arms at an increased fee. These are mandatory for me.

Old 08-15-2009, 03:02 PM
ShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to all
Originally Posted by ExclusiveTT
lookign for a 2post assymmetric low clearance lift myself. trying to decide between challenger, bendpak, and rotary at this time. Dont have a huge budget, but I dont want a lift that will fail. I think most of these companies have an option for stage 3 (or low clearance) arms at an increased fee. These are mandatory for me.
I am going to go with the BendPak P-6 I think as I do not have the headroom for anything else. BendPak is one of the Best manufacturers out there from what I read. Norco is the other but a lot more expensive.

I personally do not like 2 posters, but it is just me, seems like the balance could easily get off whack...

SWR

Old 08-15-2009, 03:04 PM
ExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond repute
the p-6 is a 4 post?

Old 08-15-2009, 03:13 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
I was almost going to get one of the floor ones like you posted in the first post (like the P6) but then decided to hold off as I was going to build a new garage...then than got put on hold...now thinking again.

I have no issues with the two arm, especially if you sink your own steel into a few yards of concrete. I'd be nervous trilling anchors into a slab though. Just me, I over-engineer everything...

Old 08-15-2009, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by ExclusiveTT
the p-6 is a 4 post?
Nope!

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=32550

Old 08-15-2009, 03:37 PM
Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !
Look up direct lift. I own one and it works fine on low profile cars. It includes ramps.

Old 08-15-2009, 03:40 PM
Originally Posted by Scott997
Look up direct lift. I own one and it works fine on low profile cars. It includes ramps.
Which one do you have?

Do you have any photos?

I am specifically looking for one that I can get under and move about from front to rear, so a traditional scissor arrangement will not work. I think I have decided on the P6, but I have no idea how I will maneuver 845 pounds into place on my own.

SWR

Last edited by ShokWaveRider; 08-15-2009 at 03:58 PM.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:19 AM
I am still trying to figure out what lift to get. The Jacking points on the Porsche are 54" on center. All the low rise lifts have only 53" Beds.

Look at the P-6F Flush mounted list. I do not know how it could hold a TT based on the footprint.

See here:

Floor Plan: http://www.bendpak.com/files/262_1403026439.pdf

Manual: http://www.bendpak.com/files/262_686474298.pdf

I would like to see if anyone has one?

Old 09-07-2009, 11:29 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Shock, you can get a different garage lift to clear up some room on the top of the garage, this would help a lot in your decision.

http://www.liftmaster.com/consumerwe..._CW_detail.gif

Old 09-07-2009, 05:09 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
That's the unit I have in my garage to clear my AMMCO lift. I like the security of the deadbolt in the rails, as well as how quiet the unit is.

I'd not plan on doing any serious work without a twin post. The four post lifts I've worked with in the past are very limiting, even with the use of saddle jacks to work around the ramp/platform. For doing very basic stuff like fluid changes and car storage, they're fine.

And for what it's worth, I've been using my "old" AMMCO lift since 2002 and never had a vehicle move or get out of balance on it. The cable/hydraulic system is easy to balance, and I pay about $130 once per year to have it serviced. I've left the 996TT sitting for weeks on end sitting on the lift without issue.

Here are pics of my garage door layout...
Name:  PICT0221.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  95.5 KB
Name:  PICT0204.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  112.1 KB
Name:  PICT0209.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  95.8 KB
Name:  PICT0041.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  100.2 KB

Mike

Last edited by Mikelly; 09-07-2009 at 05:16 PM.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:09 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
I put Porvene roll up doors on my shop and barn so there is NO track:

http://www.porvenedoors.com/default....pg_E_Series200

Not as attractive for a home, but very compact.

A

Old 09-08-2009, 03:52 PM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
whats everyone else got in their garage?

Old 09-09-2009, 09:38 AM
rdoine is on a distinguished road
Garage Lift

I had the LiftMaster "Jack Shaft" side mount opener installed in my garage. The tracks were re-routed so the door, when fully open, is only a few inches from the ceiling. My lift is a four post that I got from Greg Smith Equipment (gregsmithequipment.com) out of Indianapolis. Works great and I can park the Turbo on top and my wife's Carrera below. Get the "Bridge Jacks" so you can lift the car while on the ramps. And, have them convert the jacks to pneumatic so you can use your compressor to jack the car up rather than using your arms to pump the jacks! There isn't much you can't do on your car with this setup in a home environment. A friend and I installed two of them in our garages in one Saturday.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Low Profile Car Lifts, Anyone got a lift in their Garage?