996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Engine Oil instructions from manual

Old 09-22-2009, 08:02 AM
Mad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant future
Engine Oil instructions from manual

read: "Oils for summer and winter, Above -10C -> SAE 0W-40, 5W-40 and higher." pg 118 Maintence, Car care
Does "and higher" refere to the W or latter figure?
My understanding was that higher viscocity are better for engines that burn oil or where temps are comparatively high. Have read numerous thread opinions on what oils "should" be used. Not trying to start another one of those threads, just want to understand the manufacture's stated recommendations.
Temperature is extremely hot where I live, rarely gets below 15~10C. I'm leaning towards Motul 300V 15W 50, a brand that's worked well in other track driven cars I've owned.
thanks!

Old 09-22-2009, 08:46 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
I was told by my tuner that the oil also works as a hydraulic fluid to drive the VarioCam actuators, and for this reason you should stay with the oils on the Porsche approved list. 15w50 is a weight that he said is not good. Better choice is 5W50, that's what I run. You can of course put in what you like.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:06 AM
Mad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant future
thanks for that bit of info. first time i've seen that. the other alternative is motul 300v 5w 40. Is there an additive in the P. approved oils that is required specifically for the vario cams?

Old 09-22-2009, 11:04 AM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mad Ness
thanks for that bit of info. first time i've seen that. the other alternative is motul 300v 5w 40. Is there an additive in the P. approved oils that is required specifically for the vario cams?
the higher refers to the warm oil viscosity...download the current TSB from renntech for all of the recommended oil types and suppliers. you can also go to bobtheoilguy for fascinating discussions on oil . Check out posts by Doug Hillary...he frequents Porsche sites and has done extensive testing.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:09 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
This may be useful...it's been posted a few times before:

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Approved Oils.pdf (114.4 KB, 111 views)
Old 09-22-2009, 02:54 PM
David C is a name known to allDavid C is a name known to allDavid C is a name known to allDavid C is a name known to allDavid C is a name known to allDavid C is a name known to all
I can't print the pdf file you attached. It might be password locked. Is it possible for you to unlock it, and post again?

I have searched the forum for this pdf to no success. Or can you direct me to the location where it was posted before?

From search I had a fun read of a previous oil use discussion.

Old 09-22-2009, 03:07 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by David C
I can't print the pdf file you attached. It might be password locked. Is it possible for you to unlock it, and post again?

I have searched the forum for this pdf to no success. Or can you direct me to the location where it was posted before?

From search I had a fun read of a previous oil use discussion.
TSBs are copyright material (Porsche)...if you are a member of renntech.org, you may download them, but they are meant to be locked. Anything else is infringement. Sorry.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:31 PM
Originally Posted by Mad Ness
Is there an additive in the P. approved oils that is required specifically for the vario cams?
Phosphorus (a component of ZDDP - Zinc Dialkyl-Dithio-Phosphate) is the key component for valve train protection in an engine and 1600ppm (parts per million) used to be the standard for phosphorus in engine oil. In 1996 the EPA forced that to be dropped to 800ppm and then more recently (2004?) to 400ppm - a quarter of the original spec. Valvetrains and their components are not especially cheap to replace and this drop in phosphorus content has been a problem for many engines (especially those with flat-tappet type cams). So why was the level dropped? Money. Next to lead, it's the second most destructive substance to shove through a catalytic converter. The US government mandated a 150,000 mile liftime on catalytic converters and the quickest way to do that was to drop phosphorous levels and bugger the valvetrain problem.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:33 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Bureaucrats that come up with sh*t like that should all be taken out back and shot.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:44 AM
thanks for that pdf. appears pretty conclusive to see all those oils are 40's across different regions and brands.

There might be merit to using a higher such as 50 however on engines that are tired as long as the 50 viscocity itself is not an issue for other components.

On the zinc issue, i've come across that before. Apparently the only oils that still contain zinc are some diesel engine oils. My past research also found some recommend the Zinc ingrediant for break in oil.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:10 AM
PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !
Check out BG's MOA additive.
BG MOAŽBG MOAŽ prevents oxidation and thickening of engine oil under even the most severe stop-and-go, high temperature driving conditions. It fortifies all qualities of engine oil to provide superior long-lasting engine protection and helps maintain optimum engine performance. BG MOAŽ keeps piston ring belts, hydraulic lifters and other engine components clean to help extend engine life and reduce costs of operation. It is compatible with both synthetic and petroleum-base oils.
The Thin Film Oxidation Uptake Test (TFOUT), ASTM Test Method D4742, proves BG MOA’s remarkable resistance to oxidation by more than 200% longer than six major brands of SL quality oil. At the conclusion of the API Sequence IIIF Engine Test‚ a major brand, high-quality reference oil barely passed the 80-hour test with a viscosity increase of 255 percent. At 80 hours, another brand of oil fortified with BG MOAŽ had a viscosity increase of only 57 percent. At the conclusion of the triple-length, 240-hour test, it was still well within the viscosity limits with an increase of only 198 percent.Part No. 110