996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Horn Beep With Lock/Unlock

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 07:25 AM
MrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Jersey Shore
Do not hold the button down. Just press it 2 times fast and you will hear the comforting beep. If it beeps when only pushing once then something is open.
The two taps when locking means you lock and disable the interior alarm, so someones smashes a window to reach in a grab something (and not opening the door = alarm will not go off. Described in user manual.

What OP is looking for is a true beep/honk for locking with the remote that activates the full alarm functionality.

It may be possible to attach a low resistor beeper to the turn indicator circuit with a relay sensing when car is "off" (so it doesn't beep everytime you hit the turn indicator when driving. Takes some knowledge of the wiring diagram.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:51 AM
function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Brando
I also wanted the arming beep.

If you open your console lid and look at the latch, you will see a small silver piece that the lid pushes in to show that it is closed.

I took a pair of needle nose pliers and simply bent that piece so that the car thinks the lid is open.....and I get a beep upon locking.

I can easily put it back if desired.
+1 this works great. You can easliy fix it back.

Old 12-04-2009, 04:43 PM
z4met is a name known to allz4met is a name known to allz4met is a name known to allz4met is a name known to allz4met is a name known to allz4met is a name known to all
Good idea. I'll try it. Does this "mod" also make the horn beep when unlocking?

...Z4MET

Old 04-03-2017, 08:19 PM
eugeneflim is an unknown quantity at this point
Old thread, but if you bent that piece with the pliers, would the light bulb inside stay lit? Thanks!

Old 04-04-2017, 07:09 AM
Stebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond repute
You can see exactly how it will function by just leaving the lid open and locking the car. Do an experiment and verify. It's as easy as pressing the button to "pop" the console lid and then just leave it down. Then get out of the car, use your key fob to lock it (you will hear the short horn blast) and then observe.

That said, I'm pretty sure the lights will go off because I have accidentally left it open, and then used the key fob to lock the car before with no ill consequences. Quite a few times I might add.

Old 04-04-2017, 11:21 AM
MadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond repute
So how the system should actually work: I see different answers: I guess i just look into the manual, my car is like this: I lock the car- the lights flash ones, 5sec later i hear Beep. when i unlock the car i dont hear, a beep and the lights flash twice.
mine is 03.

Old 04-04-2017, 01:51 PM
Stebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond repute
The only time my car will beep when locking is if I've left one (or more) of four things open; either the frunk, glove box, center console lid, or engine lid.

And when it does beep because I've left something open it's immediately after the sound of the lock actuating. No delay.

Old 04-04-2017, 05:09 PM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MadWhip
So how the system should actually work: I see different answers: I guess i just look into the manual, my car is like this: I lock the car- the lights flash ones, 5sec later i hear Beep. when i unlock the car i dont hear, a beep and the lights flash twice.
mine is 03.
It's two for lock and one for unlock (sorry - details).

Weird that it should wait so long to tell you... When I leave something open, the response is immediately after the lights flash. There should be no horn sound if everything is properly secured.

Is it possible something is moving in the car? I'm wondering how the car would respond if it was trying to enable the motion sensor inside the car (upon lock) and something was already moving inside...

Old 04-05-2017, 10:07 AM
911mhawk is on a distinguished road
I've gotten in the habit of just watching the taillights to blink to confirm it's locked, easier here where there's very little glare from the sun.

Not sure on 15 year old P cars but BMW's remote functions can be coded to perform differently.

Old 04-06-2017, 06:19 AM
eugeneflim is an unknown quantity at this point
Thank you. I will probably just watch the red alarm start flashing - a good indication of the car being locked. Thanks!

Old 04-06-2017, 12:26 PM
xmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant future
Anyone know what triggers the beep when the center console lid is open?

During winter I installed a new radio, and for a very different reason had the center console out. Now my car beeps every time I lock it. It never did that before unless like other stated, something wasn't closed properly. I got used to the no beep and ideally would want to figure out what is causing it.

Old 04-06-2017, 10:11 PM
Aktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by xmaciek82x
Anyone know what triggers the beep when the center console lid is open?

During winter I installed a new radio, and for a very different reason had the center console out. Now my car beeps every time I lock it. It never did that before unless like other stated, something wasn't closed properly. I got used to the no beep and ideally would want to figure out what is causing it.
I believe theres a grounding tab where the head unit is so that the alarm system knows when someone steals it, may be your issue.

Old 04-07-2017, 08:15 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
If you are talking about the console (and I think you are), there is another grounding tab under the console right where the coin holder is. If that wire is disconnected, or your console is open, you will get a horn beep.

Old 04-07-2017, 09:05 AM
s65e90 is infamous around these parts
Yes a there's a small piece of metal that is a contact under the console lid.

Old 04-07-2017, 10:23 AM
It's more than a piece of metal... It is a molded plug, specifically for the alarm. There is a brown wire with a black connector that connects to it.

Edit: You can only get to it with the shift console removed - The connector is underneath.

Last edited by Slider; 04-07-2017 at 10:42 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Horn Beep With Lock/Unlock