996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

second gear pop-out

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 11:12 AM
ybslow is on a distinguished road
second gear pop-out

Just some basic questions regarding second gear pop-out.

1) What exactly happens with this issue?
2) What is responsible and causes it? Tranny, shifter, higher power engine?
3) Is it worse on a particular year of car?
3) What things seem to precipitate it? Driving downhill while in gear, etc??
4) How does one check a car to make sure it isn't an issue before buying?
5) What do you have to do to fix it?
6) What is the estimated cost to fix it?

Old 12-23-2009, 01:03 PM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
try seaching, all these things have been discussed a lot

in short, when coasting down hill in 2nd gear if it pops out of gear thats your problem, dont buy the car

Old 12-23-2009, 01:19 PM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
A quicker way than finding a long downhill is to just put it in second then go on and off the gas in sort of a jerking motion....not violently, but just on and off....if there's a problem with the pop-out, it will occur and become readily apparent.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:56 PM
ybslow is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by buzzm
try seaching, all these things have been discussed a lot

in short, when coasting down hill in 2nd gear if it pops out of gear thats your problem, dont buy the car
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately searching has yielded many posts with only a bit here and a bit there without answers to those basic questions, hence my post. Hopefully this thread will help others who are trying to find needles in a haystack.

Old 12-23-2009, 02:15 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
If you are just driving along in 2nd gear, and let off the throttle and it just pops out of 2nd gear, thats it. It won't and should come out under load, but as soon as you unload the tranny...POP...

Old 12-23-2009, 02:45 PM
skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !
How often should it happen to be considered as a problem?in 20000miles it has happened to me 3-4 times...

Old 12-23-2009, 05:44 PM
Jersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by skandalis447
How often should it happen to be considered as a problem?in 20000miles it has happened to me 3-4 times...
It should never happen. If it happened 3-4 times it will definitely happen again and not get better.

I had the problem on a low mileage previous 03 tt coupe. Had the sales manager drive the car, it happened, he had a PCNA rep drive the car, it happened, I had a new transmission in the car 3 days later with a full warranty.

Porsche knows the problem exists on early tt's. If you have any warranty left or a certified car push to get the tranny replaced.

It occurs when decelerating in 2nd gear, it is a tranny issue, it does not get better, and it is an expensive fix on hour own.
JS

Old 12-23-2009, 07:56 PM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
there are small dogs on the gear 3 of them with 4 points each that get rounded or chewed if the car is short shifted too fast under load and the more it happens the more they round and dont hold the car in gear anymore.

there are some machine work fixes for it that are cheap after you replace the synchros n gears a friends tranny is apart for this right now hes at 4600 to make it OEM style and i believe hes going a bit better fixing the 2nd gear popout and also needed a new 5th n 6th gear as they were worn due to not having oiling bars like the gt3 for higher gears, and having the boc chryogenicly treated and some remming(micro machine polishing) of the gear sets and an OS gilken Diff.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:02 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
bad synchro rings are the reason and they will only get worse
happened to me at 14,000 miles . porsche replaced the trans with no problem at all. it took a week

Old 12-23-2009, 08:11 PM
Racin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant futureRacin Jason has a brilliant future
What is the fix for the second gear pop out?

Is there an updated 2nd gear set or are the dealers replacing the defective parts with the same part numbers?

With our motorcycles we machine an angle cut into the dogs which stops the pop out problems that are sometime associated with high hp bikes.
The factory bike transmissions are cut with square dogs when we cut the gearsets the gears are held together with pressure.

Back cut factory transmissions have held up in my 500+rwhp turbo bikes.
I'm looking to slow down from my 255mph street bike and get into a TT and this place has been a great wealth of info.

Thanks guys!

Jason McVicar

Old 12-23-2009, 08:43 PM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
The fix for second gear pop out is directionally proportional to $$$...usually requires a tranny rebuild._

Old 12-24-2009, 03:44 AM
otb996 will become famous soon enoughotb996 will become famous soon enough
This damn issue is the only thing that worries me in my search for a 996 TT... all the other little stuff is tolerable, but this issue should it not be present in a PPI or a pre-purchase drive is grounds for murder if it shows up a little ways down the road... lol.

Old 12-24-2009, 06:46 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Racin Jason

Is there an updated 2nd gear set or are the dealers replacing the defective parts with the same part numbers?

With our motorcycles we machine an angle cut into the dogs which stops the pop out problems that are sometime associated with high hp bikes.
The factory bike transmissions are cut with square dogs when we cut the gearsets the gears are held together with pressure.

I'm looking to slow down from my 255mph street bike and get into a TT and this place has been a great wealth of info.

Thanks guys!

Jason McVicar

I believe the fix is to install GT2 gears and synchros. I think the 996tt synchros are brass and GT2 synchros are steel. I also think the GT2 gears are thicker? Can someone confirm?

Old 12-24-2009, 08:38 AM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Racin Jason

Thanks guys!

Jason McVicar

i heard eric at Gbox tell me the fix over the phone, he does some machining so that it doesn't matter if the tip of the dog gets rounded a bit it still stays intact. but these guys build racing transmissions and will make it right. the dealer most likly wont even rebuild your transmission only get you a new one if its under warranty. if not its real real expensive.

the problem is once the 2nd gear synchros are bad there is generally a bit more damage and to replace it involves pressing first gear off the mainshaft to replace its synchro and adds up to 4600 fast ona bone stock car and transmission with 60k on it.

Old 12-24-2009, 09:37 AM
911stripper has a spectacular aura about911stripper has a spectacular aura about
its no big deal to live with. you can easily get used to the problem since it only happens when decelerating.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: second gear pop-out