996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Can the 996 Turbo handle like a GT3?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 07:00 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
What are we dealing with here gang?

GT3 is light, rear drive, nimble

996TT is heavier, has issues with the geometry and the AWD system

Can you make the 996TT capable? Sure you can. It can be made to make up for the few flaws it has. Power, balance, and the right mix of parts will make this car amazing. The GT3 is a high performance momentum car. The 996TT is just soooo much more...

Mike

Old 01-26-2010, 07:06 PM
jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !
Couldn't agree more Mike !

Old 01-26-2010, 08:10 PM
tvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud of
lol 40k unreasonable? The RUF GT3 was more then that over the price of a stock GT3. And that is what we are comparing this to.

40k =
15k in suspension bits
5k in brakes
5k in wheels and tires
15k in weight loss ( CF door skins, top panel, GT3 seats and a welded in cage to keep it together. New aero kit. gutted interior/ the Labor to install all the bits)

$40k is if anything a conservative budget for full track prep on a 996 TT.

Last edited by tvurt; 01-26-2010 at 08:18 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:12 PM
996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Fabryce@GMGRacing
There is no doubt that a 996T can be made to handle as well as a GT3 or better.

It boils down to set up, who is doing it and the components you use on the car.

Out of the box no.. But with the proper mods you can make it work and it can be as fast as a equally set up 997 GT3.

And, No you dont need to spend 40k on suspension..
Fabryce, would like to know what order of upgrades to make to get the 996TT in the same "ballgame" as the 997 GT3 in the handling department.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:12 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
If Fabryce says you can do it for under $40k, take him up the offer. They know what they are doing at GMG. And yes...all the upgraded suspension parts are gold plated.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:29 AM
Stiggy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by baq
Especially one with a RUF 996 GT3 with 417HP (you know who you are).
Hello all. First post. I'm the guy baq is referring to over here. I'll just help myself and dive into the discussion if you all don't mind.

From my experience:

1- Stock for Stock with equally skilled drivers: The GT3 is consistently faster than the turbo on every turn at the track. A fraction of a second on each turn ultimately adds up.

2- When you bring in modifications to the equation, you start mucking thing about. Because, as some have already mentioned, if you have enough coin, you can pretty much do anything.

One thing that makes the GT3 stand out (even over the GT2) is that it is n/a. To me, that is the desired aspiration on a track car. The power delivery is consistent. I get exactly as much power at the precise time I want.

The new turbo cars have improved this slightly, but it is still not the same.

So can a 996 turbo be like a 996 GT3?

It can be modified to be faster around the track, but it won't be the same.

Old 01-27-2010, 01:08 AM
Former Vendor
AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Fabryce@GMGRacing
There is no doubt that a 996T can be made to handle as well as a GT3 or better.

It boils down to set up, who is doing it and the components you use on the car.

Out of the box no.. But with the proper mods you can make it work and it can be as fast as a equally set up 997 GT3.

And, No you dont need to spend 40k on suspension..
if anybody knows, GMG does.. There is your answer my friend!!!

Mike

Old 01-27-2010, 06:49 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tvurt
lol 40k unreasonable? The RUF GT3 was more then that over the price of a stock GT3. And that is what we are comparing this to.

40k =
15k in suspension bits
5k in brakes
5k in wheels and tires
15k in weight loss ( CF door skins, top panel, GT3 seats and a welded in cage to keep it together. New aero kit. gutted interior/ the Labor to install all the bits)

$40k is if anything a conservative budget for full track prep on a 996 TT.
Full track prep, maybe, and that's if you just want to spend a bunch of money. With 40k you can add transmission coolers, intercoolers, the most expensive of coilovers, Cup Wings, LSD etc. and still have more money for more power.

-5k in wheels and tires only if you're clueless or have to have BBS E88's or just refuse to drive on CCW's.
-5k in brakes for what? Buy a set of front GT3 calipers and 997 TT rotors, problem solved for half of that brand new.
-15k in suspension is what people are paying, but not what is needed, that is a fact.
-15k in weight loss is just rediculous.

And that's STILL not necessary to beat a GT3 or be a reliable track car. That can easily be done for 15k and much of that is the extra reliability which the car is far from unreliable in the first place.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:21 AM
baq
baq is a glorious beacon of lightbaq is a glorious beacon of lightbaq is a glorious beacon of lightbaq is a glorious beacon of lightbaq is a glorious beacon of lightbaq is a glorious beacon of light
Hehehe... STIGGY everytiime I read your screen name this is what pops into mind: "common stiggy push PUSH-boy" lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBDgVlTOzI8

Old 01-27-2010, 08:37 AM
rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !
No way you can make a 996 turbo equal to a 997GT3,both car are different.But you can make a 996 turbo FASTER than a 997 GT3 on a track if you modd with the necesary the 996 turbo.

I don't remenber what track it is Daytona,sebring or any other very good track and the 996 TT has been the ONLY GT CAR that has won the 24 hours of that race beatting the prototype cars,the 12 cilinders cars.The 996TT beat ALL of them in that 24 hours race.A 997 GT3 bearly can win its own cattegory GT2.

That says much about what you can do with these beautiful car 996 tt.

Rolando

Old 01-27-2010, 09:25 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Duane996tt
In a straight line a 996TT (X50) can beat a pre 2010 997 GT3RS if the run is to top speed. In the curves not a chance even with suspension mods to the 996TT. This does not include the 2010 GT3RS that stock to stock can also beat a 996TT (unmodded engine) in a straight line. The AWD is most of the problem. Weight and lots of understeer but it keeps your *** out of trouble. The 997 GT3RS shares very little with the 996TT were it counts. Everything that does counts is different especially the suspension geometry/components and weight (no sunroof, no rear seats, very little sound deadning, fixed wing, no double din stereo/nav, much lighter seats, no AWD, no turbo component weight). I don't know the total weight reduction but it is significant (300 plus pounds) You're better off just buying a GT2 if you want the power of a Turbo with the handling of a GT3RS. Although I've modded my 996TT, I have no illusions of running with a 997GT3RS or GT2 on a the track. (besides, i like the sun roof and other creature comforts).
+1 Al, I agree 100%

You cannot have it all, I am afraid, but now 996 GT3's and 996 TT's are so damn cheap that one "Could Have" both.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:14 AM
mose55 is on a distinguished road
I am guessing I have spent around 15k on my car between the suspension, rotors, safety equipment, engine tweaks and tires. Not much done to lighten it up though. I can safely say it does not "handle" as well as a GT3 (6 or 7), relatively speaking, but I do get around pretty quick in my run group compared to guys driving the GT3's ..usually get them on track out and up hills and they get me on braking and entry. I dig my turbo but the purity of a well set up GT3 is pretty hard to beat...

Old 01-27-2010, 04:08 PM
baq
baq is a glorious beacon of lightbaq is a glorious beacon of lightbaq is a glorious beacon of lightbaq is a glorious beacon of lightbaq is a glorious beacon of lightbaq is a glorious beacon of light
Well I think this post is a great noodle scratcher it's one of those, can it be built and how questions. For me, with prices so similar for both categories 996 T/ GT3 & 997 T / GT3, my pic is GT3 for sure. Very seldomly will you find a road to put turbo power down without getting dangerously illegal. Plus IMO the GT3 while not the fastest in a straight line sticks to Ferdinand Porsche's philosophy behind the brand. He was quoted once for saying "If I could trade power for handling I would" - this by NO means is it a bash towards Turbos, they are fantastic, truly amazing machines that maybe suffer from Veyron syndrome....Where can you really use the power? With that said, Roll the clip-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iimss...ture=quicklist

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2tJ9uAbJIY&NR=1

Old 01-28-2010, 11:19 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
money can do anything. That has been proven by the fact that a modded 996 turbo ran the nurburgring faster than any GT3 has ever done. but I am sure that turbo cost twice as much as a GT3. But for not much money(20k) you can turn a Turbo into the near a GT3 in the turns and much faster in the straights, I think many in here have done that.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:26 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
When it comes to turbo setups, I encourage you to drive a number of them... My setup is like driving a big block chevy with endless torque. Those who claim that the GT3 is more pure and more to their liking simply have not driven a properly tuned, properly setup forced induction system. Quite honestly, if my turbo setup was as laggy as some that I've experienced, I'd sell it or join the 60-130mph crowd... Fortunately, I don't have those issues...

Mike

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Can the 996 Turbo handle like a GT3?