996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Interesting 2nd gear pop out avoidance mod-

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 07:47 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
This looks like an exceptionally worthwhile mod. I am also curious what this would cost from a labor hours perspective though, if one were not able to perform this themselves. 2 hour job? Would just love to have a reference for how time consuming and/or difficult it is (despite the steps looking fairly simple). Thanks!

Old 02-19-2010, 08:10 PM
PAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
This looks like an exceptionally worthwhile mod. I am also curious what this would cost from a labor hours perspective though, if one were not able to perform this themselves. 2 hour job? Would just love to have a reference for how time consuming and/or difficult it is (despite the steps looking fairly simple). Thanks!
In one of Eric's original posts- he said 20 minutes. I spoke to him today- it sounds like 20-60 minutes should be very doable.

If the car is on a lift- I can't imagine it would take very long at all. Looks like it's 2 bolts, remove the detent, reinstall....

Old 02-20-2010, 06:58 PM
gearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond repute
So the detent alone will help put some cheap insurance on my tranny? I don't really want to install shims and a 20 minute job would be great. But is it safe to assume that there would be no tranny fluid loss doing this mod will the transmission is still in the car?

Old 03-04-2010, 02:56 PM
skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !
i am interested in this part...please eric pm me payment details...My tranny once a month pops out 2nd gear...would it fix it,or prevent it from becoming worse?

Old 03-04-2010, 03:04 PM
PAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to all
Originally Posted by skandalis447
i am interested in this part...please eric pm me payment details...My tranny once a month pops out 2nd gear...would it fix it,or prevent it from becoming worse?
If you already have popout, you need a rebuild. The damage is done.

This part is to prevent the damage from happening in the first place.

I still haven't had a chance to install the part that Eric sent me, hopefully will in the next couple weeks.

Old 03-04-2010, 03:09 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ard
As I recall there are TWO reasons for 'second gear pop out':

One is the incorrect stack height leading to the 2nd gear to the 1/2 operating sleeve being incorrect...essentially a mfg defect

The other is missed shifts leading to 2nd gear dog ring wear and then loss of engagement retention.

Two questions:

Is this true?
Does this fix address both failure modes?

Thx

A
Was my question just totally off the wall??? Nobody has commented on this...

A

Old 03-04-2010, 03:21 PM
I don't see how the detent mod will stop missed shifts...

Old 03-04-2010, 03:29 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PAULUNM
I don't see how the detent mod will stop missed shifts...

Neither do I.

The detent fix would seem only to address the stack up tolerance issue- and not the issue of worn due to missed shifts, or 'could possibly get worn in the future due to missed shifts'

Given the last tranny rolled out of the factory 5 years ago, any that were going to fail due to stack up will have failed...I suspect most of the 2nd gear pop out we are seeing is due to the very limited 2nd gear engagement thickness on the gear- which is destroyed with one big, or many minor, grinds...

Hence the value of this fix as a preventative measure seems limited- to me. I was hoping Erik would comment on which aspect of the failure mode this fix is intended to address.

A

Last edited by ard; 03-04-2010 at 03:31 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:32 PM
skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !
Well...i dont see why a pop out every month should charge me $3000 to rebuld my tranny...So this part might help me stabilize the problem at that rare rate...

Old 03-05-2010, 03:01 PM
Former Vendor
Erik@GBox is a jewel in the roughErik@GBox is a jewel in the roughErik@GBox is a jewel in the roughErik@GBox is a jewel in the rough
Hey there everyone,

Sorry that I have not been able to get caught up with everyone on this tread, it has been wonderfully busy here recently, and it is taking me quite a bit to keep up with all of the updates. Forgive me.

So Skandalis447 - Yes there is a chance that this will help your current gearbox issues. However, if the damage is too bad internally, then you are going to need a rebuild. Either way you still need to replace this part regardless.

Ard- You are somewhat correct with regard to the stack height issue, we have at time found that an incorrect shim was installed during assembly. This is something that we carefully check during rebuilds. This part will help with this issue, as it does allow the operating sleeve to engage the gear more effectively. As to your statement of missed shifts, and weather or not this part will effectively resolve damage created by driver error, NO there is no fix for bad driving, however, This will help at least somewhat for the same above mentioned reason. As to this part being limited, well I guess that depends on your point of view. To me, a part that is as cheap as this one is, that effectively helps to prevent a problem that costs about $3,000.00 to fix seems like a pretty good bargain to me, but if you would rather wait for the problem to happen and send me your gearbox, Hey that is great too. LOL I think that I understand where you are coming from here, but this is in my opinion a very needed part and should be changed out on every 996 gearbox.

Gearhead- no you will not need to worry about fluid loss during the change out of this part.

I am sure that there are other questions so I will try to answer more of them in my next post. Just need a second to review them again.

Erik Johnson

Old 03-05-2010, 03:42 PM
adeeois is on a distinguished road
subscribe

Old 03-05-2010, 04:47 PM
ard
Perfect.

Just wanted to make sure my understanding of the 2nd gear issue was accurate.

Thx

A

Old 04-03-2010, 11:19 AM
Guys, I had my GBox Detent part installed yesterday. It was super easy (after we figured out that the additional bolt needed to be removed... Oops!)

I can actually FEEL and HEAR the car going into gear. I always felt like I wasn't sure if I was fully in gear or not. Now I hear a "clack" sound similar to shifting in a car like a Ferrari that has the metal gear selections.

BIG thanks to Eric at GBox- hopefully I will never need his services for a rebuild, but if I do- these guys at GBox really know what they are doing.

Guys, this mod is TOTALLY worth the ~$70! Do it now before you damage your transmission further!

Old 04-03-2010, 11:21 AM
Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
Once you get the underchassis plastic covers off, it shouldn't take more than 15 minutes. Honestly the R&R of the plastic covers took more time than R&R of the detent.

Figure your shop will charge an hour.

Old 04-03-2010, 12:09 PM
Part ordered from Eric and recieved...Hopefully next week it will be installed...Eric thank you for your service...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Interesting 2nd gear pop out avoidance mod-