996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Stub Axles for RDW Conversion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 01:29 AM
ghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to behold
Stub Axles for RDW Conversion

Hi Guys,

i am planing to do the rwd conversion, since i got a LSD and upgraded gearbox. I do not want to slaughter my front driveshafts for the stub axle endings.
I can remember, that someone was making and selling them. But i couldnt find the post/thread.

Can someone help me out?

Thx alot!

Cheers
Steffen

Old 06-07-2019, 06:36 AM
s65e90 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ghostofpain
Hi Guys,

i am planing to do the rwd conversion, since i got a LSD and upgraded gearbox. I do not want to slaughter my front driveshafts for the stub axle endings.
I can remember, that someone was making and selling them. But i couldnt find the post/thread.

Can someone help me out?

Thx alot!

Cheers
Steffen
Reid performance sells them. Or just get another set of axles for the stubs. IMO, I would just use yours, they come off very easy once the snap ring is removed and they go back just as easy.

Old 06-07-2019, 07:29 AM
ghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to behold
Thx alot.
guess i will search for used ones and slaughter these. I will keep mine just in case.

Old 06-07-2019, 07:54 AM
Originally Posted by ghostofpain
Thx alot.
guess i will search for used ones and slaughter these. I will keep mine just in case.

For the price it seems the better method to me at least. After removing the snap ring, turn the stub as far as you can so it will be angled in relation to the axle shaft. Then give it a couple good wacks with a soft hammer (think mallet or a deadblow) and it will pop right out.

Old 06-07-2019, 11:29 AM
nbressette has much to be proud ofnbressette has much to be proud ofnbressette has much to be proud ofnbressette has much to be proud ofnbressette has much to be proud ofnbressette has much to be proud ofnbressette has much to be proud ofnbressette has much to be proud ofnbressette has much to be proud ofnbressette has much to be proud of
I recently went RWD and I shared your same concern, especially since I JUST put new boots and grease on all 4 joints. In the end My concern about the after-market stubs was that if the ABS exciter ring was not perfect then it could cause drama. I had the shop machine down my oem stubs to reduce weight, no PSM/ABS drama so far. RIP the other 75% of my axles.

Old 06-09-2019, 07:12 AM
Woofie_187 is an unknown quantity at this point
just use the ones on our car, they are over 15 years old and probably need replaced if you ever put them back in. I just did this and it feels amazing!

Old 06-09-2019, 01:52 PM
vogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by nbressette
I recently went RWD and I shared your same concern, especially since I JUST put new boots and grease on all 4 joints. In the end My concern about the after-market stubs was that if the ABS exciter ring was not perfect then it could cause drama. I had the shop machine down my oem stubs to reduce weight, no PSM/ABS drama so far. RIP the other 75% of my axles.

I have the Reid Performance axle stubs. They work perfectly. Zero PSM/ABS issues.

They also gave me a deal since I was a 6speed member. I think it was $600 shipped two years ago.

https://lambor****inghini.com/products/porsche-911-rear-wheel-drive-conversion

Delete spaces in link to make it work, lol 6speed forum software kept censoring it.

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 06-19-2019 at 09:58 AM.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:52 AM
Originally Posted by vogz
I have the Reid Performance axle stubs. They work perfectly. Zero PSM/ABS issues.

They also gave me a deal since I was a 6speed member. I think it was $600 shipped two years ago

Delete spaces in link to make it work, lol 6speed forum software kept censoring it.

$600 or free? Tough call.

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 06-19-2019 at 09:59 AM.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:51 AM
vogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by s65e90
$600 or free? Tough call.

That’s a bit disingenuous. You can hack apart your stock axles, and the stubs will still be heavier than the Reid stubs unless you get them machined, which costs money and won’t allow you to return to AWD without the added cost of replacement axles. Free? Hardly.

Old 06-19-2019, 08:33 AM
That’s a bit disingenuous. You can hack apart your stock axles, and the stubs will still be heavier than the Reid stubs unless you get them machined, which costs money and won’t allow you to return to AWD without the added cost of replacement axles. Free? Hardly.
Not disingenuous at all. You don't have to machine the stubs down. ****, you're removing the front diff and axles, so you're already saving quite a bit. And when you remove the stubs from the axles, it's super easy to re-assemble if you ever want to go back to OEM. So it's $600 for the convenience really. You don't need to hack anything apart at all. They are made to be disassembled.

Old 06-19-2019, 09:07 PM
Originally Posted by s65e90
Not disingenuous at all. You don't have to machine the stubs down. ****, you're removing the front diff and axles, so you're already saving quite a bit. And when you remove the stubs from the axles, it's super easy to re-assemble if you ever want to go back to OEM. So it's $600 for the convenience really. You don't need to hack anything apart at all. They are made to be disassembled.
I'm guessing the majority on here won't ever take apart axles themselves + specialized tools, etc. Splitting hairs at this point though. Different strokes...

Old 06-23-2019, 07:48 AM
Sourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to behold
The pictures show how much of the spindle gets removed. Total weight of the spindles is 5-1/2 lbs before machining. It cost me $110 to save 1.25 lbs.

I’ve had the for 10 years, it is very unlikely i will ever sell it. There is no way I’m ever going back to AWD after a few years of RWD. It’s a no brainer if this is your position.

Old 06-24-2019, 05:55 AM
DaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond repute
Old 06-24-2019, 08:03 AM
I'm guessing the majority on here won't ever take apart axles themselves + specialized tools, etc. Splitting hairs at this point though. Different strokes...

I guess. But one would think the majority here actually turns wrenches and would rather work on their own stuff then pay people. The only specialized tools you'll need are a hammer and snap ring pliers.

I'd only suggest buying new parts due to the mess. It's easy to take them apart and put back together, but it is one of the messiest jobs and grease seems to get everywhere.

Old 07-04-2019, 02:12 AM
Hi guys,

i did email reid performance and the price is 800 Dollars. No deal for 600...phew.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stub Axles for RDW Conversion