996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Remote Key does not lock / unlock doors after battery change

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 11:31 AM
Saint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud of
Remote Key does not lock / unlock doors after battery change

The battery died from my remote key ...

After I changed the battery, it would no longer lock / unlock the doors.

I did the "unlock by key, open the door and press button 1" procedure, but it still does not unlock the door.

I recently changed the battery from my other key so its in the same boat.

I can start the call and all .. its just the door and trunk lock / unlock function that does not seem to work ...

This ever happen to anybody?

Old 04-17-2010, 11:49 AM
GoingFast is an unknown quantity at this point
Go to Autozone and use their key fob test. It could tell you if your key fob is transmitting or not. I have to replace both fobs and it is not cheap - $500.

Old 04-17-2010, 12:05 PM
gt2rs6 has a spectacular aura aboutgt2rs6 has a spectacular aura about
did you disconnect batt ?? or let the car sit for a few days without using the fob?? just unlock the drivers door with the key and put the key in ignition and turn key to on position within 10sec of unlocking door... the key will relearn itself..let us know if this worked...i have to do it to my 996gt2 if i let it sit more than 5 or 6 days

Mike

Old 04-17-2010, 12:40 PM
Saint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud of
I changed the keyfob battery about 4 days ago ... I've been driving the car just by unlocking the door manually and driving it as usual.

I did the "manually unlocking the door + press keyfob button #1" ... and nothing ...

Old 04-17-2010, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by Saint Ari
I changed the keyfob battery about 4 days ago ... I've been driving the car just by unlocking the door manually and driving it as usual.

I did the "manually unlocking the door + press keyfob button #1" ... and nothing ...
it has nothing to do with unlocking the door and pressing the button..... the sequence is

1 unlock drivers door ( if its not locked lock then unlock drivers door )
2 put key in ignition and turn to the "on" position

now your fob is learned... the keyless entry goes into a "sleep" mode to preserve the batt.. if u do not use the feature every 5 days or so this sequence must be repeated ... its in your book if you have one for your car... i was confused about this also when i got my car i almost changed the batt in my keyfob ... but there is nothing wrong with the batt at all

Old 04-17-2010, 01:59 PM
How long do I have to leave it in the "ON" position? Doesnt starting the car a few times a day qualify as "ON"?

Old 04-18-2010, 10:54 PM
Still don't work ... I tried a few variations ... but still nada...

Did the unlock driver's door + put key in ignition + on position
Did the unlock driver's door + open door + push button 1
Did the unlock driver's door + push button 1
Did the reverse battery polarity for 10 seconds

The keyfob just flashed red but the remote lock / unlock still ceases to function ... Anybody can help?

Old 04-19-2010, 06:23 AM
reverse batt polarity??? why??? never heard that one with my car its just unlock drivers door key in ignition turn to on pos... ( not starting the car ) remove key and keyfob now works.. if this does not work you must have some other issue going on... do you have an owners manuel?? its definatly in the book... you said this is a 996 right? my car is a 02 996 gt2 let me know what happens... ill dig up my book if your car is a 996 and ill write out the process word for word

Old 04-19-2010, 06:28 AM
Its an 04 996TT ... I found what you're referring to out of the manual ... no cigar.

Re reverse batt polarity thang ... got it out of Rennlist ...

I think I prob have a faulty alarm unit or keyfobs ... or maybe its just time for a new alarm with a built in turbo timer ...

Old 04-19-2010, 07:44 AM
sorry i couldnt help... yeah i guess either the fob or what the fob talks to in the car is not working right...i would stay away from aftermarket electronics in a porsche... but thats just my opinion.. enjoy

Old 04-19-2010, 08:56 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
At least check the appropriate fuse to the system before spending on new keys.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:45 AM
Which fuse should I look at?

Old 04-08-2011, 02:02 PM
wmiranda is on a distinguished road
One of my keys stopped working. If I opened up the key, pressed down on the battery and hit the switch it worked. I put a small piece of folded paper in there to press down on the key and it works like a charm now. YMMV.

Bill
00 996 Cabrio (new to me this week!)

Old 12-23-2011, 04:12 AM
H8T WP will become famous soon enough
Did anyone get their fobs working again, seems a bit silly to have to get the transmitter replaced / recoded everytime after putting in a $1 battery ! ffs

Old 12-23-2011, 03:02 PM
gearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond repute
Had mine die as well. I use it as a spare now. Go on eBay buy a key head that still has the barcode tag(very important) get it programed, problem solved. I tried everything too nothing worked for me either.
I bought my key head with uncut blade for $70 with the barcode on eBay. $20 programming at the dealer. I refused to pay that insane dealer replacement key price.

Last edited by gearhead; 12-23-2011 at 03:08 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Remote Key does not lock / unlock doors after battery change