996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Rain Sensor Help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 07:28 PM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
Rain Sensor Help!

I have a 2001 911 TT. There is no wiper interval switch (pic 1), so it looks like mine did not have the factory installed rain sensor but... There is a module (pic 2) connected to what appears to be a rain sensor (pic 3). The module has the word "Rain" on it and some stuff in German. The wipers do not activate when it rains. I have tried putting the wiper control in position 3, but still no movement when it gets wet.

Does anyone else have this? Should there be a control somewhere? Did the switch just fail and the last owner just removed it and put a cover on it? I want the rain sensor because, even "slow" is too fast most of the time.

Any ideas?

Old 05-01-2010, 07:50 PM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
I don't have a clue what you got there but it has to be after market. Look at the picture of the relays position ... Plus on the second picture you got the rain sensor module with his location. (beside the cap for windshield washer tank)....There is no relay for rain sensor , only a module sensor..... Can you get a better picture of that box beside the relays....

Attached Images   
Old 05-01-2010, 07:58 PM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
Yes, I hear you, but the module I have is plugged right into the car relay board. It may be aftermarket, but it is made specifically for this car. I'm thinking it was a dealer add-on. If so, others should have it too.

Old 05-01-2010, 08:01 PM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Strange! I hope someone will jump in with an answer?

Old 05-01-2010, 08:04 PM
I did a searh with AWS12 look what I found.....http://www.rain-electronics.de/AWS12/aws12.html it mean in english: Automatic wiper control system for vehicles:

Another link:http://www.xanonex.de/installation.htm

I saw that: "Do I have the rain sensor AWS always off and on?
The rain sensor AWS is fully automatic and controls the wipers completely independently, according to the Wasseraufkommen (waterfall) on the windshield. l
The on and off during precipitation is not necessary. "

Also found this: The rain sensor is operational when the ignition is turned on and the green light
on the sensor lights. It controls rain sensor according to the determined intensity of the rain wiper
fully automatic continuously variable from Einmalwischen to wipe duration of stage one, always with the
best interval break. You need to worry about anything.
After the installation retains the wiper lever at all functions, except for the interval level, now in the
is wiped automatically. If an additional switch is installed, the rain sensor on
These additional switches activated. The original wiper switch remains in position "OFF". The wiper

Last edited by jpflip; 05-01-2010 at 08:25 PM.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:30 PM
rh888888 will become famous soon enoughrh888888 will become famous soon enough
I had the same rain sensor in my 00' 996

Old 05-02-2010, 12:21 AM
jpflip - Excellent find! The installation instructions fit my situation precisely (translation aside). RH8 - Did yours work properly?

I have verified that the light on the sensor does indeed turn on when the ignition is on, but the wipers never wipe. I'll try again in the morning with the switch in the "OFF" position.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:11 PM
Well, I just turned on the ignition with wipers in position 3 and put some water on the windshield. The wipers wiped! It's just rain it doesn't like. I went out after and confirmed that the little green sensor light was on - there was some really light rain, but the wipers didn't wipe. I may need a new sensor - I found the right company (thanks to jp) so I should hear back soon. Thanks for all the help!

Old 05-02-2010, 08:06 PM
Update - I went out in the rain today and found that if I pushed on the sensor, it worked perfectly for about 2 minutes. I guess it's just that the cement holding it to the window must be old and no longer effective. It looks like I just need some new double-sided tape to stick it to the window.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:40 PM
Thklinge can only hope to improve
Yeah, the AWS rain sensor system is factory mounted in the 996. The sensitivity-control in the dash is installed in some cars and not in others. My car didn't have the control ****, but the cable is behind there (the one running from the relay). The **** has part number 996 613 127 00, and can easily be installed. Just pop off the left side plastic panel, insert the **** and connect the wire. Hopefully it lies just behind the panel, but you may have to dig.

Sidenote: The AWS-system is kinda crap. It's a shame Porsche didn't use Hellas Raintronic system. It works a LOT better, almost like telepathy.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:47 AM
Ahhhh - thanks for stepping up. I eventually bought a new "rain sensor mounting kit" for $40 that included - a strip of double-sided tape in the shape of a circle and an alcohol wipe (which was completely dried out). The rain sensor is working, but it would be nice if I could turn up the sensitivity so, I will take your part number and run out right now to get a control ****. Thanks!!!