996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Anybody have a tinted tail light problem w/law???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 10:16 PM
RickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond repute
Anybody have a tinted tail light problem w/law???

Just a quick informal survey. Anyone have a problem with the law regarding tinted tail light lens??? I was out in Cali in Feb and everywhere I went saw nothing but tinted lens... on almost everything!!! Here in Oklahoma it's catching on fast and I really like the look so I tinted mine.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:49 AM
cybersam69 will become famous soon enoughcybersam69 will become famous soon enough
I actually had mine painted. The tent can peel, and bubble, and start to look bad over time, so I went with paint. Basically, it's a very thin, almost clear coat, and the more coats you put on, the darker it gets the way I understand it. I went with 3 coats. Love the way it looks, no problems with the law as of yet. Then again, I have loud exhaust, window tint, and no front plate too...

Name:  VcZDHl.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  60.1 KB

Last edited by cybersam69; 05-04-2010 at 08:53 AM.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:57 AM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
When I first saw this thread I thought there's no way I'd do this. But yours looks great. If you have a black car, it's cool. I can't believe you haven't been stopped yet though.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:00 AM
cybersam69 will become famous soon enoughcybersam69 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by deckman
When I first saw this thread I thought there's no way I'd do this. But yours looks great. If you have a black car, it's cool. I can't believe you haven't been stopped yet though.
I think because if my tail lights are on, or my brake lights are on, it looks pretty normal. But at night, or when the lights aren't on, it looks BLACK! I love the way it turned out. I have a ton more pictures...

Old 05-04-2010, 10:26 AM
RickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cybersam69
I actually had mine painted. The tent can peel, and bubble, and start to look bad over time, so I went with paint. Basically, it's a very thin, almost clear coat, and the more coats you put on, the darker it gets the way I understand it. I went with 3 coats. Love the way it looks, no problems with the law as of yet. Then again, I have loud exhaust, window tint, and no front plate too...

Yep... that's what I did too. I sprayed them with two coats of Rustolem Lens Tint (I heard the VHT is too thin and runs.) Then color sanded them w/2000 grit micro fine paper. I then hand rubbed them w/a light compound, then buffed them w/polish and foam pad on a buffer. They look great as yours do! I kind of went nuts after I saw how good it looked and did my GF's late model Mustang and my Escalade EXT

Old 05-04-2010, 12:41 PM
Originally Posted by RickEager@***.n
Yep... that's what I did too. I sprayed them with two coats of Rustolem Lens Tint (I heard the VHT is too thin and runs.) Then color sanded them w/2000 grit micro fine paper. I then hand rubbed them w/a light compound, then buffed them w/polish and foam pad on a buffer. They look great as yours do! I kind of went nuts after I saw how good it looked and did my GF's late model Mustang and my Escalade EXT
Pics or it didn't happen

Just kidding, but post some up, let's see all your hard work!

Old 05-04-2010, 12:43 PM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
Florida law states all tail light may reflect the color of red, amber or yellow, however it really comes down to the officer who pulls you over, how dark they are and the attitude of you and the officer. I've heard from friends that have both tinted windows and tail lights when stopped that they will ticket you for something if it's just not your or there day.

316.224 Color of clearance lamps, identification lamps, side marker lamps, backup lamps, reflectors, and deceleration lights.--
(1) Front clearance lamps, identification lamps, and those marker lamps and reflectors mounted on the front or on the side near the front of a vehicle shall display or reflect an amber color.
(2) Rear clearance lamps, identification lamps, and those marker lamps and reflectors mounted on the rear or on the sides near the rear of a vehicle shall display or reflect a red color.
(3) All lighting devices and reflectors mounted on the rear of any vehicle shall display or reflect a red color, except the stop light or other signal device, which may be red, amber, or yellow, and except that the light illuminating the license plate shall be white and the light emitted by a backup lamp shall be white or amber. Deceleration lights as authorized by s. 316.235(5) shall display an amber color.
(4) A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318. History.--s. 1, ch. 71-135; s. 2, ch. 86-23; s. 176, ch. 99-248.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:05 PM
Thanks for the law/code. I think any tail light will reflect red if that is the color of reflector inside. I hit mine with a flashlight and could see the red reflector through the lens. I guess this means I'm okay!? Like cybersam's car, when the lights are on you can't tell the lens is tinted. I'll try and get some pic tomorrow. Anybody else out there w/tinted tail lights???

Old 05-04-2010, 09:53 PM
unterbergamotte has a spectacular aura aboutunterbergamotte has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for the Legal Info. Does anyone know the rules as they apply to California ?

Old 05-04-2010, 10:33 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
California:

(and most states)

You must have a DOT approved assembly. Tinting should be a violation.

26101. No person shall sell or offer for sale for use upon or as part of the equipment of a vehicle, nor shall any person use upon a vehicle, any device that is intended to modify the original design or performance of any lighting equipment, safety glazing material, or other device, unless the modifying device meets the provisions of Section 26104. This section does not apply to a taillamp or stop lamp in use on or prior to December 1, 1935, or to lamps installed on authorized emergency vehicles.

26104. (a) Every manufacturer who sells, offers for sale, or
manufactures for use upon a vehicle devices subject to requirements established by the department shall, before the device is offered for sale, have laboratory test data showing compliance with such requirements. Tests may be conducted by the manufacturer.
(b) The department may at any time request from the manufacturer a copy of the test data showing proof of compliance of any device with the requirements established by the department and additional evidence that due care was exercised in maintaining compliance during production. If the manufacturer fails to provide such proof of compliance within 30 days of notice from the department, the
department may prohibit the sale of the device in this state until acceptable proof of compliance is received by the department.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:40 PM
enoyskt is a splendid one to beholdenoyskt is a splendid one to beholdenoyskt is a splendid one to beholdenoyskt is a splendid one to beholdenoyskt is a splendid one to beholdenoyskt is a splendid one to behold
No problems here so far.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:02 PM
unterbergamotte has a spectacular aura aboutunterbergamotte has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for your reply Ard /for CA..., even though I REALLY DON'T LIKE IT.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:59 AM
D_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant future
I think because if my tail lights are on, or my brake lights are on, it looks pretty normal. But at night, or when the lights aren't on, it looks BLACK! I love the way it turned out. I have a ton more pictures...
What wing is that on your car? I really like it!!!

Old 05-06-2010, 08:02 AM
Originally Posted by D_Nyholm
What wing is that on your car? I really like it!!!
ROTtec Carbon Fiber Rear Spoiler (RT-E6030)

Last edited by cybersam69; 05-06-2010 at 08:09 AM.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:12 AM
Pics or it didn't happen

Just kidding, but post some up, let's see all your hard work!
A day late but here you are...

Attached Images      

Last edited by RickEager; 05-06-2010 at 10:15 AM. Reason: ad another pic

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anybody have a tinted tail light problem w/law???