996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

The complete road racing thread, take your car to the track!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 06:41 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
I contacted the Hoosier distributer to ask about true slicks and I couldn't get them. Where can you buy them?

Old 05-24-2010, 06:48 AM
m3995 has a spectacular aura aboutm3995 has a spectacular aura about
Hoosier race slicks

Appalachian Race Tire.

(865) 681-6622

I am also unsure about fit, the tires are 3/8" wider on each side in the rear, and 1/4" wider on each side in the front.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:26 PM
80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !
Updated Settings, more complete

More Complete settings with more specific and accurate info..

Settings as of now:
JRZ Triple Adjustables with quick disconnect remote canisters.
Front Camber: -2.8 degrees
Rear Camber: -2.3 degrees
Caster: 7.5 degrees
Front Ride Height: 103mm (4.0 inches) measured ground to correct bolts
Rear Ride Height : 115mm (4.5 inches) measured ground to correct bolts
Front Toe: + 1/16th (toe OUT)
Rear Toe : - 1/16th (toe IN)
Front Swaybar: full soft (5th hole)
Rear Swaybar : second from full stiff (2nd hole).
Tire Front: Hoosier R6 245/35-18, 29 psi cold, aiming for 38-39 psi hot
Tire Rear : Hoosier R6 315/30-18, 29 psi cold, aiming for 37-38 psi hot
Full corner balance with my weight in the driver's seat, 3/4 tank of gas.

Amazing change in how the front end is working.. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE how the Car is working now...

Old 05-28-2010, 07:34 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Sounds like it is setup fantastic. Have you been to the track yet this year? We need people to post some videos!

Old 05-28-2010, 10:19 AM
80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by buddyg
Sounds like it is setup fantastic. Have you been to the track yet this year? We need people to post some videos!
Ask and you shall receive... I have posted this before, but here goes.

Ignore the nasty knocking sound.. it's the camera hitting my windshield.

This is pre recent changes with just baseline settings on my suspension. The Car turns in better and holds a line better as well with my newest settings.
The ZO6 was a full T1 Race Car, stripped out, 2500 lbs, slicks, full Aero, driven by an instructor etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XK6zhvTEbAM

Last edited by 80shilling; 05-28-2010 at 11:00 AM.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:36 AM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
nice! seems like you know the track well? how many times a year are you there? what tires are you running?

Old 05-28-2010, 11:00 AM
Originally Posted by 2muchtime
nice! seems like you know the track well? how many times a year are you there? what tires are you running?
I have been going to Laguna for 20+ years and I have also been an instructor for 15+ of those years, so I would hope I have the line down perfectly by now. The only difference you will see in this video from some others, is that I do not take the classic double apex at turn 2, instead I am going wide on entry ignoring the first apex.. this helps me get the car back on boost better than the double apex approach. Other than that, this video is the exact line around Laguna that should be taken.

If I was trying a bit harder, I would have been more aggressive on clipping the apex rumble strips and would have carried my braking a bit deeper, together with a bit more corner speed everywhere. I had a student in the Car with me on this run and was trying to run the perfect line at 90% of what the Car can do, just to keep it tidy for instructional purposes.

Cheers...

Old 05-28-2010, 11:59 AM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 80shilling

This is pre recent changes with just baseline settings on my suspension. The Car turns in better and holds a line better as well with my newest settings.
The ZO6 was a full T1 Race Car, stripped out, 2500 lbs, slicks, full Aero, driven by an instructor etc.

We have almost identical lines Only difference is the last turn. I like your turn in better i'll try that next time. Granted, that was my very first time in the 911 with a passanger in complete stock trim, and me getting to know the track and the car. Karting really does help finding a great driving line super fast

Here is my vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXY9sxN9lTI

p.s. your not going to believe it but, i actually learned how to do heal toe at the track. the 996 was my first manual car (2 weeks of ownership and im at the track)!!!

Last edited by f1crazydriver; 05-28-2010 at 12:03 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by f1crazydriver
We have almost identical lines Only difference is the last turn. I like your turn in better i'll try that next time. Granted, that was my very first time in the 911 with a passanger in complete stock trim, and me getting to know the track and the car. Karting really does help finding a great driving line super fast

Here is my vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXY9sxN9lTI

p.s. your not going to believe it but, i actually learned how to do heal toe at the track. the 996 was my first manual car (2 weeks of ownership and im at the track)!!!
Yes... Pretty much identical lines, although you are a bit shallower into turn 9 than me and as you said, your line into turn 11 is a bit out.. But.. near perfect lines Enrique.. really nice. I especially like your line through the Corkscrew.. too many people get into that turn too early and have to crank the wheel in the middle of the turn, rather than getting the turning done FIRST, then going straight through the corner ....

Old 05-28-2010, 03:47 PM
NathanialHale is on a distinguished road
That isn't a "full T1 Zo6 race car". GCR from SCCA states that no aero is allowed and that weight on the Z06 be 3240 with driver, unless the rules changed in the last three months... Don't know what that Vette is, but it ain't T1 legal!

NH

Originally Posted by 80shilling

Old 05-31-2010, 10:50 AM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
Great Video and thanks for sharing
Robert

Old 06-01-2010, 07:50 AM
Thanks for the video! Get rid of that clicking sound and more exhaust note would be awesome!

Old 06-01-2010, 08:08 AM
fdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud of
Not sure if anyone caught CBS Sports "Racing into Darkness" Saturday. There are a few clips at the bottom. What a great race. Quite a battle between Porsche (Flying Lizards), BMW (Rahul/Letterman), Corvette(Corvette Racing) - (Ferrari for a while)..... What a great track - you guys are lucky...One thing that is difficult to grasp in the vids posted here is how much of drop there is through the cork screw...the equivalent of a 5 ½ story drop - in only 450 feet of track length

http://www.americanlemans.com/primar...t=news%7C14827

You can watch the race here - but I think you have to susscribe.

http://www.americanlemans.com/primary1.php?cat=live

Originally Posted by buddyg
Thanks for the video! Get rid of that clicking sound and more exhaust note would be awesome!

Last edited by fdorn; 06-01-2010 at 08:24 AM.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:42 PM
fdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud of
Headed out to GingerMan tomorrow (Thursday 6/3/10) to check out the new track configuration if anyone is interested. Sorry for the late notice

Name:  gingermannew.gif
Views: 821
Size:  115.2 KB

Old 06-04-2010, 09:32 AM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Sebring PBOC race, TT vs Ferrari's, Cup cars etc.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4sp7guuARE

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The complete road racing thread, take your car to the track!