996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Fuel Pump

Old 07-31-2010, 01:03 PM
aircavscout has a spectacular aura aboutaircavscout has a spectacular aura aboutaircavscout has a spectacular aura about
Angry Fuel Pump

Guess is was my turn.. 25K miles and it finally let go... Won't start, had to get a wrecker to drag me back to the shop... There just isn't anyway to look cool on the side of a busy road broke down in a TT for nearly an hour..... Confirmed what I suspected today and it's the fuel pump... It's days like yesterday that push the boundaries of my love for this car...!

Old 07-31-2010, 01:21 PM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by aircavscout
Guess is was my turn.. 25K miles and it finally let go... Won't start, had to get a wrecker to drag me back to the shop... There just isn't anyway to look cool on the side of a busy road broke down in a TT for nearly an hour..... Confirmed what I suspected today and it's the fuel pump... It's days like yesterday that push the boundaries of my love for this car...!
Its a Pi$$er , sorry to hear that.
Any chance once you find out, posting the exact failure...pump pipe split or mechanical failure etc.
Frank

Old 07-31-2010, 01:46 PM
jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !
I'm on my 2nd replacement. 21k miles total on the odo.
New one doesn't have any "rubber" hose to split.

Old 07-31-2010, 01:48 PM
aircavscout has a spectacular aura aboutaircavscout has a spectacular aura aboutaircavscout has a spectacular aura about
I will post pics of the failed pump when I pull it out.

Old 07-31-2010, 01:51 PM
RudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to behold
Is this a common problem with 996 Turbos? Never experienced a failed fuel pump with any of the cars I've owned. 35k miles on my Turbo, and as far as I know, still on my original fuel pump (knock on wood).

Old 07-31-2010, 02:54 PM
pumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond repute
yeah it's the line that develop leaks, the fuel pump is still good but to buy the line at the stealership you have to buy the fuel pump assembly...

Old 07-31-2010, 08:29 PM
gregporsche will become famous soon enough
My fuel pump failed recently and I changed the split hose with a similar one and the car runs fine now.

Old 07-31-2010, 11:13 PM
PAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to all
There's a silicone hose some of the cup car guys are using- the one rubber hose is the one that fails. I'd like to replace it with a silicone version as preventative maintainance- but I'm not sure where to find it...

Old 08-01-2010, 04:57 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
are the replacement pumps a 997tt part? Also, what is the best source/price for these?

Old 08-01-2010, 08:37 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
This can happen to any make of car, Porsche included. I think the overall number of incidents is low but you see it reported here so you may think it happens more often than it does.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:59 AM
Neil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud of
Is it the brown hoses in this pic that are splitting ? If so why cant just the hose be replaced with any fuel resistant hose rather than paying $$$ for a complete new pump unit. Also does this seem to happen more on cars that have been run on race gas?

Old 08-01-2010, 09:27 AM
PAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Neil A
Is it the brown hoses in this pic that are splitting ? If so why cant just the hose be replaced with any fuel resistant hose rather than paying $$$ for a complete new pump unit. Also does this seem to happen more on cars that have been run on race gas?

The way I understand it, the brown hoses are the ones that do not split- it's the rubber hose on top of the pump that fails. What you need to do is replace the rubber hose with one similar to the brown ones, which from what I understand are silicone. There's a thread in the 996 GT3 forum over on rennlist.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:03 PM
Ok / here are the PIC's for the POS fuel pump

Name:  IMG00001-20100805-1925.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  150.4 KB

Name:  IMG00002-20100805-1926.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  163.7 KB

Name:  IMG00003-20100805-1926.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  147.1 KB

Name:  IMG00030-20091219-1432.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  167.8 KB

Sorry for the quality of the PIC's... Still trying to figure out this whole camera thing. Bottom line: The part cost me about 600 and about 2 hours of time. I may have been able to complete it faster but I started drinking beer and watching BB.... So I wouldn't use my experience as an example. The hose split..

Old 08-06-2010, 07:39 PM
pumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond repute
i had the exact same thing, did the new unit had a rubber hose or was it all plastic?

Old 08-06-2010, 07:44 PM
Ok / here are the PIC's for the POS fuel pump

Nope. The new one had the white plastic pipe instead of the rubber fuel hose. I am not sure but I suspect there are some of the old pumps still floating out there as new stock... I assure you that it's only a matter of time your pump WILL FAIL sooner or latter if you have the old style.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump