996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Fuel pump, fuel pump, fuel pump

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 05:51 PM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
Fuel pump, fuel pump, fuel pump

I had just filled my car with 93 octane, after running a blend of 93/100 on track. When I started it, it immediately stalled. Started again, and it seemed ok. It stalled a couple more times at idle, and once when turning a corner. Then the problem went away. Car ran fine for several days.

I called Kevin (@UMW) to confirm that it was just the change in fuel grade. He said "Fuel pump, fuel pump, fuel pump!" I said, "But, what about the fuel..." and he said "Fuel pump!" According to Kevin, the problem shows up first at idle, where there isn't much fuel draw, so the loss is enough to make the car stall.

As usual, Kevin was right. See pic below. New pump installed. I'll replace the split hose and keep it for a backup.

Jon

Attached Images  
Old 08-10-2010, 05:55 PM
rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !
Too bad it happens,but lucky to find out soon

Old 08-10-2010, 05:58 PM
emadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond repute
It seems that sooner or later we all will have to cope with that....

Old 08-10-2010, 06:00 PM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
Better this way than a total failure at Road America in two weeks!

Especially since it's a BMW school.

Jon

Old 08-10-2010, 06:34 PM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Fast, keep your old pump, you can get a Saab line that fit perfectly and it is fuel proof.... Saw that on Rennlist in the GT3 996 forum....

The SAAB fuel pump repair kit is here: http://www.scantechproducts.com/carp...-50.5142.1.php

Thanks to Michael B. from Rennlist!

Last edited by jpflip; 08-10-2010 at 06:46 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:50 PM
Merci, Monsieur Flip!

Yes, I have a chunk of fuel-proof line inbound.

Jon

Old 08-10-2010, 06:56 PM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by FAST FWD
Merci, Monsieur Flip!

Yes, I have a chunk of fuel-proof line inbound.

Jon

Bienvenue Monsieur" Vite de l'avant" It is good to know someone somewhere got a used pump

Old 08-11-2010, 08:36 PM
PAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to all
Originally Posted by jpflip
Fast, keep your old pump, you can get a Saab line that fit perfectly and it is fuel proof.... Saw that on Rennlist in the GT3 996 forum....

The SAAB fuel pump repair kit is here: http://www.scantechproducts.com/carp...-50.5142.1.php

Thanks to Michael B. from Rennlist!
There MUST be an easier solution to this than buying that whole kit...

One of the posters on that thread said he used a silicone hose similar to the other "clear" hoses on the pump...

Old 08-12-2010, 05:19 AM
Originally Posted by PAULUNM
There MUST be an easier solution to this than buying that whole kit...

One of the posters on that thread said he used a silicone hose similar to the other "clear" hoses on the pump...

Agree Paullumn and of course this line has to be fuel resistant. But my concern is the bend. In the kit the line is already bend if you install a straight line I am afraid it will kink in the radius.... Do you have enough space to install a longer line with a wider 360 ' ??? But anyway if someone found a better replacement it will be really nice to know.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:58 AM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jpflip
Agree Paullumn and of course this line has to be fuel resistant. But my concern is the bend. In the kit the line is already bend if you install a straight line I am afraid it will kink in the radius.... Do you have enough space to install a longer line with a wider 360 ' ??? But anyway if someone found a better replacement it will be really nice to know.
Any decent idistrial hose n fitting supply should beable to get you a hose that wouldn't fail for probably less then 40$ even if they fabricated it out braided line, with custom braised together fittings

Old 08-20-2010, 08:55 AM
Lysoleverywhere is just really niceLysoleverywhere is just really niceLysoleverywhere is just really niceLysoleverywhere is just really niceLysoleverywhere is just really nice
what went bad on your pump? I installed a new pump / venturi tubes last fall.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:11 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
The turbo fuel pump is ugly, it looks like an octopus. The other day driving in my area, I saw what looked like one of our pumps. I am sure it could not be, but I almost stopped to pick it up.

Anyway, how much did the replacement pump cost.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:30 AM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
600or so for the pump

Old 08-20-2010, 10:30 AM
Originally Posted by Prche951
The turbo fuel pump is ugly, it looks like an octopus. The other day driving in my area, I saw what looked like one of our pumps. I am sure it could not be, but I almost stopped to pick it up.

Anyway, how much did the replacement pump cost.
Item #4 on the picture. There is a supersede number which is 996-620-108-02 according to Pelican and it is about $600.00. Saw it also at $537.00....

Attached Images  
Old 08-20-2010, 11:31 AM
My indie, who gets a lot of my business but is also a good friend, got mine for me at his cost + $0.25. (He gets tired of me complaining to him that he needs to make a living and should mark up my parts. This way he can claim that he did. )

The part that failed on mine was the short U-shaped fuel line that lives inside the tank. See the photo I posted. This seems to be the most common failure mode on this part. The upgraded version uses a different material (silicone I think) for that tube. In retrospect, it would have saved a lot of money to pop off the top, remove the sender and take a look. Could have gotten by with replacing that hose. But, after I fix it, I'll have a spare.

Jon