996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

battery dead on my car, afraid to jump it. Will a trickle charger restore it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 02:41 PM
showtime is on a distinguished road
battery dead on my car, afraid to jump it. Will a trickle charger restore it?

Can I use a booster pac? Can't find owners manual, what is the proper procedure so I don't fry any electronics? Just clicks when I turn the key. Car was at the body shop for 2 months and now has sat another 6 weeks with all of this snow in the northeast. How difficult is it to change the battery and where is it?

Old 02-13-2011, 02:51 PM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
You will found some info at the bottom of this page :http://perryandcoblog.com/2009/11/17...hood-solution/

And the battery location is at the base of the front windshield under this black plastic cover in the front trunk . But to open the front trunk you have to connect a battery on the post in the fuse box... See link.

Attached Images  

Last edited by jpflip; 02-13-2011 at 03:03 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:57 PM
andymac will become famous soon enough
What happens if you jump start it ?

Old 02-13-2011, 03:51 PM
emadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond repute
There's nothing wrong with jump starting.

Open the engine lid, on the left side of the oil filter there's a plastic cap with a "+" on it.

Use that terminal (positive) and whatever bolt or piece of unpainted metal (negative) as "poles".

As far as you don't mess with "+" and "-" and you don't cause a short, there's nothing to worry about. Your battery could still be good.

Old 02-13-2011, 04:59 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
jumped mine for two years just don't drive it enough to keep the bat charged and misplaced my trickel charger no neg probs at all. just remember pos to pos and neg to neg and it's all good

Old 02-13-2011, 05:28 PM
LO_996tt will become famous soon enough
BTW--according the Owner's Manual the negative terminal in the engine bay is the same bolt that holds in the air filter box below the lid latch.

Jumped my car several times while working on the audio install, no issues. Battery always seems to come back to full strength. Once it was dead I could not get the tender to get it up to starting strength even after 24 hrs.

Old 02-13-2011, 05:29 PM
jdiesel has a spectacular aura aboutjdiesel has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by steve harris
jumped mine for two years just don't drive it enough to keep the bat charged and misplaced my trickel charger no neg probs at all. just remember pos to pos and neg to neg and it's all good
same here I jump mine often as the battery dies in a few days if I dont drive it. So far no problems, I did hear there is a fuse so if its going to cause any damage that fuse will blow first, but I ve never looked into it so not sure.

Old 02-13-2011, 05:40 PM
ETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant future
Yes a trickle charger will bring a dead battery back to life. Ive had to do it twice. Now I have the Porsche trickle charger that plugs into the cigarette lighter so it's much more convenient

Old 02-13-2011, 07:51 PM
boca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really nice
just take the battery out ..then recharge it.. no worries about your electronics that way.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:35 PM
tphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of light
You can jump start, just let the other car charge your battery a couple of minutes before starting and turn off the lights, radio etc...
Trickle charger after a couple of hours will do the work if your battery is good.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:05 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
I just rolled it down the hill and popped the clutch in 1st or 2nd gear. At 3,4 mph it starts fine. Finally bought a new battery.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:45 PM
jdiesel has a spectacular aura aboutjdiesel has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by ard
I just rolled it down the hill and popped the clutch in 1st or 2nd gear. At 3,4 mph it starts fine. Finally bought a new battery.
I tried that with my atv once, well got to the bottom of the hill and it still didn't start so had to push it back up. - taught me to never try it again.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:53 PM
ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !
Every garaged non-DD Porsche should have this!

http://shop4.porsche.com/usa/car/cayenne/95504490054/

Old 02-14-2011, 06:48 AM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
I've had all sorts of battery drama with my 996TT over the past 2 years (since it's far from a daily driver) and have yet to permanently harm the battery. This last time I ran it all the way down to the point where the trunk wouldn't pop at all, so it was my first time using a battery to jump the trunk. Beware that the alarm will sound as soon as you connect the negative terminal to the door latch, and you have to turn it off by quickly locking and unlocking the drivers side door with your key.

One funny finding from my battery drama is that I learned not to leave the jumper cables in the trunk since I couldn't access that location with a dead battery (and needed them to open it!). I just put a battery tender (with float mode) on it last night. $20 from Target, and it's a Black and Decker model which allows you to trickle charge with 1 amp or 2 amps. I've used this charger/tender for some time with my motorcycle batteries and it works fine, so save a few dollars and pick up something like this.

Another useful tip is that if you leave the trunklid popped (but sitting on the latch) you'll see the interior trunk light come on (as well as the rear engine light), but these will both turn off if you lock the door. It takes a bit of time for them to turn off, but this worried me for a while and I did note that they eventually do turn off. Best wishes to you!

Old 02-14-2011, 08:44 AM
Centauro97 is a jewel in the roughCentauro97 is a jewel in the roughCentauro97 is a jewel in the roughCentauro97 is a jewel in the rough
This is a nice little unit that serves both to energize the system to unlock the front/rear hatch and when changing the main battery it keeps the radio and ECU memory intact.

Amazon has a really good price, $25 with free shipping.